Register now to get rid of these ads!

Brown 67 cj428 Stang at Minnesota Dragway? Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kbee fed, Jun 14, 2008.

1. kbee fed

kbee fed

Help please!

I got a 1967 Copper Brown CJ428 4 speed Mustang GT500 in my garage, black leather interior... A real jewel...

But wait!!!...

It has genuine ole Minnesota Dragway Class Trophy Winner decals ( 3 ) on all over, and an official NHRA member sticker too on driver's side quarter glass...

Does anyone ( ...gulp... ), by any chance, remember such a specific car from the 1967-up era at that track?

Original car owner-racer, racing in which class, when, racing history, pics, videos, time slips, anything... Even the smallest lead would be greatly appreciated...

Car is far far away from home! It is here in Sherbrooke, Quebec, in Canada! Close to Montreal, and New-Hampshire border line....

Thanks in advance!

2. kbee fed

kbee fed

Owner wants to find out as much as possible about the car's past as possible...

Car was repainted light yellow some years ago, resto-like job under and all over job...

But under a window rubber seal, we can still see original Copper Brown color of car...

Car is original 428 CJ engine with 4 speed, and was running fine until some bozo garage guy took it for a spin and blew the motor....

Motor was rebuilt with race cam in it, but current owner says previous cam was much bigger...

Hummm, smells drag car roots to me....

Then I saw the stickers in the windshield and side window.... Bingo!

Old drag car!

Any help is greatly appreciated identifying this car's origin and racing history....

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

have you tried a minnesota outdated title search?

assuming the car came from there. call the minnesota historical society and ask to speak to someone about outdated public records pertaining to motor vehicles and registrations. explain your situation, and they'll be happy to help you find past owners of the vehicle, especially from a specific time.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

PS... Wisconsin is the same way for older DMV records. they are stored at the wisconsin historic society on microfiche... the searches usually take about a week or two, and if i remember the wisconsin fee is like $10. MN was a little more, and took a while longer too, but if you really want the information, its about the best way to find at least the owner at the time you're interested in.

5. kbee fed

kbee fed

Will try for sure! Tx alot

6. kbee fed

kbee fed

Other special key features of car:

1- Has homemade slapper bars 1/4 inch thick steel, not store bought models...

2- Class Minnesota Dragway trophy winner sticker locations: 1 on top right corner of windshield, two on back glass, one on each corner.

3- NHRA contestant sticker location: driver's side front small quarter glass

4- Has 1968 14x7 10 to12 d-hole chrome rallye wheels on with small flat aluminum center caps, not 1967 five spoke magnum 500 model.

5- chrome fender lip trims and satin aluminum lower rocker pannel trims

6- Hurst Competition-plus shifter, with white knob

7- Black leather interior, stock and nice condition

8- Car has No Bondo whatsoever. Very straight. Nice floor pans too.

7. kbee fed

kbee fed

BTW, car has a close ratio 4 speed, and something like 4.56:1 gears, at least...
    Yikes!

8. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

dude,5 posts about it in an hour....give it time...someone will come up with something

9. BCR

BCR

Hi, I know a thing or two about Mustangs. No 428 CJ until mid year 68. Gt 500 would indicate Shelby and that is a whole different animal. Top motor in 67 is the 390 S code fifth didgit in vin # . X code is 390 two barrel. K code 289 hi po. A is 289 four barrel. 67 Gt 500 could be had with a two four 428 police interceptor (Claims of 427 cars with dealer installed 427 as low as 30 or maybe 40 cars). If the car is a 68, it could be a 428CJ car. Fifth didgit in vin# would be R. 390 in 68 is still S and X. J code for 302 four barrel. Check a Mustang form like vintage mustang, as this ain't exactly a traditional rod. If you want to know more google Marti report. Buy it and it will tell you when it was made to the day, who ordered it, what dealer got it, and who bought it new. Or pm me and I'll call ya. Mike

10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

Are you sure the Minnesota Dragways decals are authentic? You can buy reproductions of them these days.

11. kbee fed

kbee fed

Tx BCR, will do my VIN homework on that car tomorrow first thing... GT-500 fill cap is center rear, not on fender like Shelby cars... Has triple vertical tail lights, and no spoilers or scoops. ???

Stuart, decals really look the part all right, faded and wornout for the two in the back glass, not as bad for the front one. I someone did a number on those, they did it reeeeeal good...

Tx guys...

12. FEDER

FEDER

Try the 332-428 Ford FE engine forum lots of dedicated Ford racers and historians there. FEDER

13. alsancle

alsancle

Wow, is that really true? Trying to get historical information out of the Mass RMV is not so easy. I've got a couple of cars I'd love to research. I was kind of under the impression that privacy laws have really put a damper on being able to do this kind of research.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

15. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Doesn't sound like a Shelby to me...sounds like GT500 gas cap on Mustang. Shelbys were center rear, quarter-panel gas-cap is aftermarket "eleanor" type stuff, not OE Shelby. Should have 67 Cougar lights for '67 Shelby, or '64 T-Bird lights for '68 Shelby. Should have spoilers for side vents & fastback vents, flip tail, and Shelby-unique front end. VIN will also tell you.

Here's a pic of a '67 GT-500:
    [​IMG]

16. kbee fed

kbee fed

Finally! VIN tag infos...
    7F02S192943
    body: 63BZ
    tr: 6A
    date: 26D
    dso: 44
    axle: D
    trans: 5
    color: Z

There you go! That's all I got so far... Any good?

17. Omega

Omega
    from Mass

18. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Isnt this just a little off topic, too late, wrong car???? :)

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Not a Shelby. 390 S code is fairly desirable though...

20. I was the Owner of that Car and did the Resto on that car. I know the History and who owned the car before I got it and where it was Originally Sold. I have a Paper Trail on it as well as the Original Motor still in my Possesion. Car was on eBay for Sale and I informed the then Owner that I had all the Info he needed to know about the Car, but I Never received a Response back to me. The Motor I Installed in that Car was a 428 Super Cobra Jet not the more common Cobra Jet. You can P.M. me if you want Info......

21. P.S. I also have Photo's of the Restoration of the Car, Before and After.......

22. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I want to see some pics, aye

23. Photo's Before/After.........Car not Totally Assembled in Aftershot......

Attached Files:

24. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Not much difference between the two - LeMans rods and a slip-on counterweight is the biggest difference. Original SCJ typically got the Drag-Pak option though where regular CJ didn't always...but back then, you could order anything with anything....

25. Dan73

Dan73

Hi 57blastoff,

I inches away of buying that car and I need more info on it where does it come from, who had it, ect...

Thanks

Dan
    506-999-0149

26. Dan73

Dan73

Hi 57blastoff,

I inches away of buying that car and I need more info on it where does it come from, who had it, ect...

Thanks

Dan
    506-999-0149

27. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Is this the HAMB? Oh, ok... just checking.