Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sorry OT....Old Semis

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zumo, Jul 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. True.

But, at the beginning of the Freightliner story it WAS called just "Freightliner". Consolidated Freightways was then the largest over-the-highway common carrier in the US, and had some very specific ideas of what they wanted in a truck. None of the truck manufacturers at the time was willing to build what Consolidated Freightways wanted in a truck....so they decided to build their own(!)....and called it the 'Freightliner'. Later on, they discovered that none of the manufacturers would trade for their used, 'home-made' units when they were ready to be retired. They entered into a marketing agreement with the White Motor Company to not only trade for their used 'home-made' trucks, but to take over the selling of them to the general public ( mainly to achieve higher volume and thus lower cost). For many years a brass placque was mounted under the dashboard of all Freightliners stating: "Built by the Freightliner Corporation, Sold by the White Motor Company. The hood ornament then said "White Freightliner" for many years.

Later, Consolidated Freightways sold the entire operation to White Motors. Later still, White and GMC (Truck Division of General Motors) merged forming WhiteGMC. They then sold off the Freightliner division, and it became a stand-alone company.

Sometime later (1980's) Volvo of Sweeden bought controlling interest in WhiteGMC, and it became Volvo-WhiteGMC.

Later still (mid 1990's) Freightliner Corp. was bought out by Mercedes Benz of Germany, where I believe it still stands today.

Mercedes Benz of Germany also bought out Detroit Diesel (late 1990's ;then wholly-owned by Roger Penske) and made Detroit Diesel engines ONLY available in Freightliners.

JG

2. I definitely remember these! I sold quite a few of the Whatoff conversions on International chassis 1962 to mid 1970's (when the Interstate Deregulation Laws increased the over-all length and the trailers got a lot bigger). I think in the end, more were sold on International chassis than on Studebakers, due to the fact that Studebaker went out of the truck business in 1958.

As I remember, they were called the "Whatoff Expando".

Here is, in my opinion, is one of the most DANGEROUS trucks ever built!!!

TOTAL over-all length from front bumper to hitch-ball was down to 8-FEET!

Attached Files:

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Reo must be in there somewhere. I have an NOS oil pressure gage that says White Motors Co. Reo Div/Mfg Lansing, Mich. B- IAX 6/58 on the box. It really needs to find a home someday.

4. Hudsonator

Hudsonator
    from Tennessee

I've loved this thread. I've seen alot of these trucks in their less glorious days as log haulers.

Even now, its where grand old trucks put up their last stand in my neck of the woods.

I've always loved the earth shaking drone of the old IH's with those gargantuan Red Diamond 6 gas burners.

Great thread!

Hud

5. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Few years back I baught a 62 chevy truck cab out west. The seller knowes a carrier to ship it to Ct, Every things set up for delivery to where I work, While at work I get the call he's pulling off the exit heading over soon. So I go outside get my wrecker over by the main loading docks, I hear this low moan comeing down the hill under the railroad bridge, Man what a sight a late 50s Autocar! I was more excited checking out the rig than my cab! I kick myself I didnt have my camera. Seeing these old trucks in a museum is nice, but when you see them still running, working is real cool.

6. Here's some oldies from the Shorpy site. Some may be a little on the "light duty" side but cool anyhow. I love the truck stuck in the mud. It's from Washington D.C. in 1921.

Attached Files:

7. Those two big ones are Walker Electrics. They went on to build some pretty unique stuff. Not big rigs, but very neat none the less. There's a restored one in this PA museum.

http://www.jcristmuseum.org/walker.SHTML

8. WOW! That website and the complete documentation of the restoration of the Walker Electric is fantastic. What an incredible job those guys did!

Amazingly, that Walker
    drive train is almost exactly what is considered 'cutting-edge' today as they develop hybrid vehicles 70-years later! A joint venture between Eaton Corp. and International Trucks has several hundred delivery vans running with UPS today using a diesel-electric (and battery) drive system where a small diesel engine runs at near full-load continuously and supplies electricity to the batteries that can then run the drive motor to the axle.

JG

9. Steam, electric, multi-fuel....what's old is new again. Same theory, modern technology.-MIKE

10. How about a Corbitt?

[​IMG]

11. Capt. Cal

Capt. Cal
    from Newton NJ

This hurtin pup is forsale outside of Honesdale PA. Its the rare concave rear cab. (shoulda took a pic of that) The motor has new parts on it and its air start. Man you thought those cabs were small before!
    [​IMG]

12. You gotta love an air starter when the dude next to you is not expecting it!! The only problem is it's usually a one shot deal, if it doesn't catch right away, your screwed.-MIKE:eek:

13. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

when i was driving , so-cal had lots of older petes that were hot rodded & used daily for hauling . low riders with lots of lites . really kool stuff ..... steve

14. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

thats when truck drivers worked hard for their money. The Maxidyne transmissions took both hands to shift, the high and low had a shifter of its own.

15. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

if you've never heard an air starter, you can here, at 2min and again at 4 min.

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pPwjy2Arv38&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

16. Ever since I first saw them in the basement of the NATMUS museum and started asking questions, I have been real interested in them. At that time I had NO idea what they were. It wasn't till I made some inquiries and Jay Crist got ahold of me ,that I found out what they were. I was really surprised at the "old technology" being so relevant too.
    Anyway, it wasn't a week or so after I sent him those pix that he worked out a deal with the NATMUS museum to come get them and start a restoration. He kept me updated on the progress with pictures a couple times a month and I could not believe how fast they recreated it from the rusty hulk. Hell of a job though! :cool:
    Later, Phil

=================================================================
    WOW! That website and the complete documentation of the restoration of the Walker Electric is fantastic. What an incredible job those guys did!

Amazingly, that Walker
    drive train is almost exactly what is considered 'cutting-edge' today as they develop hybrid vehicles 70-years later! A joint venture between Eaton Corp. and International Trucks has several hundred delivery vans running with UPS today using a diesel-electric (and battery) drive system where a small diesel engine runs at near full-load continuously and supplies electricity to the batteries that can then run the drive motor to the axle.

JG

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  17. Remember when Dodge was into heavies?-MIKE:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

The truck in front of the Fying A station is a mid 1930's Fageol.

19. havi

havi

I had a model back in the early 80's of a similar truck. I remember it as being red, white, and blue, and had a big detroit diesel. It was a drag truck, too.

20. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

That pic looks like one of Tyrone Malone's trucks... Here is the red/white/blue one sitting on it's hauler... I am a big fan of Tyrones trucks....

[​IMG]

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Where can I get one of those "Corbitts," HJManiac???? Huh?

22. 1952henry

1952henry

Just saw that beast today at the Rat-Rod show in Grants Pass.:)

23. 1952henry

1952henry

I have a couple of different scripts from Whites. Both say White Super Power. Probably wouldn't go over too well as a name in today's world.:rolleyes:

24. yekoms

yekoms

25. Ramblur

Ramblur

I've posted these pics before on other threads but share here just because
    this mid engine layout is so "un-conventional".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    <script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script><script src="http://www.coolchaser.com/javascripts/freecause.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

And after somebody takes it to the salt

Attached Files:

27. darrync

darrync

The little GREEN HORNET International has a 2-stoke Detroit motor, truck nearly finished for the road, just needs twin pipes and other extras. Truck is from New Zealand

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.