Register now to get rid of these ads!

Distributor installation problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by airbrushguy, Sep 18, 2009.

1. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

My buddy bought a Merc with a small block chevy(1975 350) in it. The last owner had pulled the dist out, but gave it with the car. He wants to put a new Mallory Unilite in it. What is the simplest procedure to find TDC and install the distributor?
    Thanks

2. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Take off drivers side valve cover, intake valve has just closed on #1 and just before exhaust valve opens on #1, you have TDC... The timing mark on the balancer should be 0 degrees. Turn your distributor counter clockwise will advance your timing.... Remember to reach down and turn the oil pump to line up with the distributor....

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

no...you don't have to take a valve cover off. Pull number one plug..hold your thumb over the plug hole and have someone "bump" the starter. When it comes up on the compresson stroke it will blow out the plug hole. Now look at the ballancer and pull it around to TDC now drop the dist in with the button facing the number one wire...been doing it this way for 40 years.

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

or,, pull the coil wire, put your thumb over the #1 plug hole and bump the motor until the piston farts your finger. :D Point the rotor at the #1 wire on the cap and drop it in. You might have to turn the slot in the oil pump gear to drop it in. Good luck with that Unilite :eek:

onlychevys types faster than me, he's cheep and fast! haha

5. elricho

elricho

Yup ,what blown 32 said-small block firing order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.Clockwise looking from the front of the motor to the back.
    Yeah I know its common knowledge-but who knows-back to basics always works!

6. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

As long as the previous person installed the balancer/timing tape "properly"... I ran into this just last week with my buddy practising the exact same method as you described which work 99 % of the time, however; the previous owner of his motor placed the tape on the balancer 180 degrees out......

It might be best for the owner to understand what TDC is......

7. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

who needs timming tape? the ballancer is marked TDC

8. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

my wife says the same thing.....damnit!!!

9. airbrushguy

airbrushguy
    from NJ

Actually it has a chrome timing chain cover and I'm not sure it's the right one. The tab is sloppy as well, but how do I tell if it's even the right cover? It has a wide balancer.
    Thanks

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

TDC on a SBC will be just to the right of straight up..its close enough to start it then time it with a light

11. RatRoy

RatRoy

I have been told that if on a 350 Chevy you have a short water pump and a Suburban balancer you can't see the timing marks since a Suburban is timed by looking straight down behind the Suburban water pump. Wow, did I get that right?:confused:

12. onedge

onedge

I have always said SBC BB too are easiest engines in world to time, but most graduate engineers would not be able to. You will get several methods since you asked, go get a real shop manual (not a dusty one from local parts supply house) and read it and learn how to. good luck.

13. BullyDog

BullyDog
    from Atlanta GA

WHAT?....a Suburban? thats stupid. A Suburban is a type of vehicle not a type of engine..Chevrolet did'nt make and engine just for that road pig. ALL Chevys after 79 timmed straight down..now if you are running a short water pump on this engine it is hard to time....geeeeze:rolleyes:

14. RatRoy

RatRoy

I asked my question poorly, not stupidly. The situation can arise with a 1975 350 motor, a 1979 balancer, and a short water pump. I know what a Suburban is.

15. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

well Roy ..all is well...have a nice weekend;)

16. BobF

BobF
    from Poway, CA

Agree with the methods stated already, however if you don't have a big enough wing span to reach from the ign switch to the #1 or a remote starter clip on, grab a piece of newspaper wad it up, twist it into a cone and screw it into the #1 hole, with the coil hi tension lead removed bump the starter slowly. When you hear the POP you just past TDC.

17. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

Bob, are you saying you can't hold your thumb over the number one plug hole AND turn the key? Man...oh wait I can't do that either.

18. Ol Blue

Ol Blue
    from In

If you don't have a remote starter switch or a helper to bump the starter while you hold your finger over the #1 spark plug hole you can do it by yourself.

Take a long flexible plastic hose, tuck it into the spark plug hole, take it up to your ignition switch and bump the starter. If you hold the other end of the plastic hose next to your cheek you can feel when the piston comes up.
    Ol Blue

19. RatRoy

RatRoy

Bullydog.....ALL Chevys after 79 timed straight down..

Prove it.....

20. RatRoy

RatRoy

BullyDog,,,,,,,still waiting.......:confused:

21. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

guess he has a life and was busy living ....you still waiting? hahaha

22. if bullydog is right or wrong i really don't know. what i do know it that chevy moved the timing marks on the pointer and the harmonic balancer around through the years

a friend of mine used a late 305 in his car , it had a long water pump and the marks were straight up. he switched it to a short pump and we had to add an aftermarket pointer and remark the harmonic balancer.

what lesson should be learned here is that you should always check the TDC marks on any chevy engine before using....even new crate engines. i always do. with all the swapping of parts by hot rodders i'm sure there are sbc's out there with the timing off