Register now to get rid of these ads!

New Project: 1939 Ford COE

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by vintagehotrods, Aug 22, 2008.

1. I bought it from Jim Konechne who lives about 5 miles northwest of Kimball.

2. big fab

big fab
    from tacoma wa

that is a nie cab i have 2 of then i got the first one for 200 bucks and the second one i got for free its all there to all the tin fendrs its still on the front frame clip to then i have a freind with a chassis he said i can have its all there rollin

3. big fab

big fab
    from tacoma wa

nie means nice ok ( ill give everyone a decoder ring later ok )

4. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

On craigslist sometimes i see old state and work trucks, big suckers, they go for real cheap.

5. TomH

TomH

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Were the Ford COE's more popular out West, or is just that all the survivors are out there?

7. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

8. acosta

acosta

Hello everyone,

I just read all the pages, and there's some mighty good information here. I thought I'd share some pics of my car hauler. I got this truck for $500, and before I tore into it I used it for a while hauling junk (to and from swaps) and trash. It had an 11 foot flatbed, but I decided to extend the frame rails, move the rear end back, extend the deck of the flatbed (now 14' flat and 16' total) and beavertail it. At the same time I switched to an NV4500 5 speed and a rear end out of a 94 1 ton truck. The wheel base is now about 208 inches and has a three peice driveshaft... but if I could do it again I'd make the deck a foot longer, and angle the tail a little less steep, and have the bumper lower (there's a bar across the top of the bumper to receive the ramps that are stored between the frame rails under the deck).

Eventually I'd like to be a cab-over guy like you all... I have a 46 Dodge pickup cab and fenders. It's not a COE... yet (Ron Covell and the HAMB are inspiring). I look forward to getting around to that, because that'll give me a little breathing room when I'm loaded (I have about 8 inches between nose and headache rack when the rear wheels are just on the flat of the deck).

It rides quite well since it's so long, even when loaded. It's got the 350 that it had when I got it. On the freeway, I can cruise at 70 loaded if it's flat-- the NV4500 and 3.73's help with that. I admit I'm a little underpowered for climbing over the Rockies... but I just downshift. One day I'll upgrade to a Cadillac 500, still with the NV4500.

What I've found, though, is once you have a car hauler, you'll haul cars. It's a natural progression, I guess, with this sickness we've got. Then you get a winch, and running or not... nothings off limits now.

Great,
    Thanks
    G

Attached Files:

9. That's a perfect donor for a COE conversion (but its a pretty nice cab you have now too). Then you'll be able to move the bed forward about two feet and redo your beavertail to a lesser angle. Tell me more about the NV4500 trans. What does it come from and how would you adapt it to a Cad 500 since they only came with a Turbo 400. Special bellhousing or would something adapt from so another engine?

10. Phin Sprague

Phin Sprague
    from maine

Greetings, I have an "OPERATIONAL?" farm 1941 ford coe dump truck and i am looking for the metal body piece above the windshield that covers the windshield wiper motors. Any thoughts please? Also the bottom panel from the door around the back of the cab is in pretty hard shape is it possible to get a replacement?
    Thanks

11. SOHC427

SOHC427

That will be really cool!

12. I just sold the header panel out of my parts COE and it was in rough shape, rusted through with a hole cutout of it but there are no replacements. The bottom back of the cab and the cab corners are available here: http://www.northernclassictrucks.com/

13. Phin Sprague

Phin Sprague
    from maine

Thanks, For the link! I am really dissappointed that finding a Headder panel has been such a challenge. The truck has an Anthony 8 foot dump bed. I run a boat yard so If I can get my hands on one I can "splash" a fiberglass copy if that is my only out.

14. gonejunking

gonejunking
    from NW USA

I'm building a 1949 Chev COE. I found a class A motorhome that a tree fell on the front windshield area. It was on Craigslist. It had a 454, T400, with new carb and only 45k on the chassis/motor. I gave $400 for it, and $150 to tow it to my place. The motorhome has a 20 foot wheelbase! By the time I stretch my cab to include a small sleeper unit, I'll still have 25 feet of frame left! I'll start posting pictures of my build , just after the first of the year.

15. That's exactly what I would suggest because they are hard to find since they rust out from a leaky roof seam or the running light holes.

16. What year and make was the motor home? What size wheels/tires does it have and does it have an independent suspension up front or a leaf/I-beam set up? Pics of your build will be great!

17. kooscoe

kooscoe

Love to see photo's from your COE Build.
    Maby you can put some on this thread. http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219018
    Ore join this one COE Group
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=333

Have fun building.

18. I finally made a little progress on getting this project started this week. I drug the Chevy dually chassis inside and sat the cab on it to see what I need to do to mount it. I then used a sawsall to cut the front frame horns off and then sat the cab down on the frame. I left a small stub of the bottom of the fram horn to set the front of the cab on. Right now the cab floor is about 1" above the frame rails so that's about as low as it will go. To lower the truck more I'll have to go with drop spindles, shorter springs or lower a-arms The floor and bottom of the cab structure will need to be rebuilt and cleaned up from the butchering it got from one of the previous owners that had tried to mount it on a Dodge pickup chassis. I will also have to cut out the flat firewall they welded in and remove the brake pedal assembly and column mount they put in.

I am also considering a different powertain for it instead of the 500 Cadillac/Turbo 400/GearVendors Overdrive) that I have for it. I've found a low mileage Chevy Vortec 8100 (8.1L) with an Allison 1000 6 speed trans with all the accessories that would fit within the frame rails. Throttle control is drive by wire which would be nice but I'm not sure about the shift setup which could be a problem if it is mechanical. The big down side to this engine is an aftermarket wiring harness costs over $1000 for it!

Some questions that I have:

What is everyone is using for cushions for their cab mounts?

I would also like to find a GM steering box that will mount in the same place but have a better input (more vertical) angle for the steering column. Would Chevy Van, P30 or motorhome boxes work? I don't want to mount the column so straight up and down and I would like to use a very short steering column like an Ididit shorty style column and keep it more horizontal and out of the floor.

<table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1939 Ford COE Project</td></tr></table>
    <table style="width:auto;"><tr><td>[​IMG]</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family:arial,sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:right">From 1939 Ford COE Project</td></tr></table>

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  19. 1927 Death Trap

1927 Death Trap
    from CT

20. TomH

TomH

Hey Jerry, your going to have to kick it in the ass if your going to use it to move your stuff south this year. Will you be joining us in the Black Hills this May??

21. Jerry, PM ElPolacko on the steering box issue, he has some insight as he has done a caouple.

22. That could happen.........in my dreams! :D I just wanted to get it together somewhat to keep the dream alive but I really need to get going on my Brookville roadster project so I could drive it out there to the hills this year. The body and interior on that are already done so all I need to do is build the 283/5 speed and chassis for it. It could happen.........! :D I am planning on doing the hills trip it but if the house sells and I have to move during that time period it could complicate things a bit!

23. Thanks Trent!

24. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Man! There are some REALLY cool COE's in this thread!

25. TomH

TomH

What !!!???? Another roadster. Well knowing you it would have to be a `32. No Model A stuff in your fleet.;)

26. The old Blue Devil is getting kind of tired and it's easier to build another one instead of taking old blue apart and rebuilding it. And being without a Deuce roadster........................ that's unthinkable! :D

27. Derrick, I recently found out that Mark, the new owner of Steve's old COE, got a brand new GM 6.0L/4L80E powertain from Nordstrom's Factory Performance right here in nearby Garretson. They have some great pics of it on their website along with the engine/trans combo's they sell @ http://www.nordstromsfactoryperform...egory_id=115/home_id=115/mode=prod/prd167.htm
    I found this out when COE Tom, who bought my other '47 COE, ordered one for his and I arranged the shipping for it out to him in New York. It sounds like a good way to go and that got me. I'm still researching putting that Vortec 8100 (8.1L) and Allison 1000 6 speed automatic in mine. I have been looking for an alternative to the the $1100 wiring harnesses and have found someone to modify a stock harness for a lot less than that. I think I might just do it!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
  28. I have some more questions for everyone. The Chevy/GM van steering box looks best for me and it shouldn't be to hard to find one. Is there any difference between the 1/2-3/4-1 ton boxes? I had looked at them once but I never thought to use the entire center link to make it work. Now if I can still find a keyless van column. I used have a couple but let them go at a swap meet. :(

How much ground clearance do you have at the engine oil pan? I was thinking about 10", maybe 2" less if I use shorter springs or dropped spindles. Are there any issues caused by welding the motor mount and trans crossmember to the frame rails? I see the factory was pretty careful about mounting their crossmembers to just the top or bottom of the C-channel of the frame with rivits.

I would like to use the entire GM hydro-vac power brake master cylinder/pedal assembly to keep it all as built originally. What did you guys use?

I just measured my overall height and it's just under 7' right now without an engine/trans and with stock suspension.

29. Phin Sprague

Phin Sprague
    from maine

Vintagehotrods.... Thanks for the reply. I have been working on other projects but still on the hunt for a headder pannel. If any one has a headder pannel in any condition I would REALLY like to borrow it to make a splash. I'll make an epoxy mold of it and send it back. BIg Deposit to ensure comfort with the idea. If it is rusted out I'll send another splash back with it. Thanks