Register now to get rid of these ads!

53 chevy 210 V8 swap with 3 speed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LCC Automotive, Sep 14, 2009.

1. LCC Automotive

LCC Automotive

Whats up guys, Im looking to swap out the inline in my 1953 210 for a 283, but I want to keep the three speed on the column. So I was wondering if a '59 chevy 3 speed out of a bel air would work with the '53 shift linkage? Also is the transmission mount the same between the '53 and '59?

2. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Trans to linkage will be OK. Mount ??? Should be simple to fab up what you need. Steering clearance [box] will cause you the most trouble but doable.

3. The thing about the mounts is that Chevy went to side mounts on the motor in '58 and did away with the bellhousing mount and added a trans mount. You will be fabbing up engine mounts, trans crossmember, changing to an open driveline, and getting a driveshaft built.

Another point I would like to make; those early 3-speeds were so weak that I could shatter the gears in them at will with my 283 (I've been told they were made of glass). The later 3-speed is much better, not only is it stronger but it has synchronized first gear.

4. LCC Automotive

LCC Automotive

Im not too worried about having to make new engine and trans mounts just mainly concerned about the shift linkage. The 3 speed is out of my dads car which is the '59, he just swapped in a T56. The 3 speed he gave me is off of a 348 so I figured it would hold up behind a 283.... Where should I look for the newer fully syncronized 3 speed?

5. 60's & 70's pickups have 'em
    come to think of it, my 67 Nova had one

6. LCC Automotive

LCC Automotive

I looked at at a 3speed today out of a early 70's pickup and the shift linkage lever's placement is different on the trans. On the 59 3 speed I have it looks to be in the same locations as the stock trans. Ill rarely drive this car so Im not trying to go real fast with it. Reason why I want to swap to a v8 is cause of the cost. The 261 I have in there now is questionable. So you guys think the '59 trans is gonna break? It was behind a 348 in a heavier car.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

think they started using the Saginaw 3 speed fully synchro box around 63-65, at least in Chevy's.

I had a 3 speed box from a 6 cylinder 59 Chevy, that I put behind my 59 Chevy 283, and beat the hell out of it. Never had a problem, even with the narrowed input shaft the 6 cylinders used. The 283's don't have the low end torque of a 235 or 348 so you should be ok, either way. But the fully synchro box would be my choice if you can find one.

8. sdluck

sdluck

I had a 1959 chevy with a 348 and a 3 spd broke 2 gear a few time powershifting it while drag racing.The trans will hold up just fine.

9. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I can pretty much tell you right now, you'll never get the column shifter to work with a V-8, let alone with an, other than "stock", 3-speed trans. Floor shift time. Now, if you were to go with a late model 194-215-230-250-292 style six cylinder, you might get lucky, especially if you were to keep the stock 3-speed trans. Just did the V-8 conversion on my 51 Chevy Bus Coupe, with a transamatic automission, and a 56 4.88 Posi rear end. Good luck. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009