Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Pigeon forge, tn **shades weekend!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 390Merc, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Chainshot

Chainshot

Cream or tan color ?

2. dino1

dino1
    from austin tx

I for one like the some of the HAMB friendly rides and some of the rat rod rides. I know that rat rods aren't the focus of the board but I don't mind pictures of them but don't feel the need to slag them just because some pictures were posted. I just move on and glad they're on my side. I own full auto machine guns and they're gun owners that would have no problem seeing the gov. take my guns a way because they're different from what they have. Do you see a common thread here, perhaps it better to stick together even though it might not be your style...

3. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

big brother is watching you.

4. ratrod0

ratrod0

thanks dino1,the rat rod guys build rat rods becuase thats all they can have, they are young guys with no $$. the next car they build will be better, and better as they get older. so dont run the young guys out of the car building, or the car building will run out.

5. BullyDog

BullyDog
    from Atlanta GA

Ratrod0 I agree, I'm new but I know a site like this is helpful to young guys looking for advice. I've been reading and from what I've read rat rods are not liked here. I'm not a big rat rod fan but you got to stop and look at how some of these guys think. A few have some good ideas and as stated some are just stupid and will more than likely kill themselfs.

6. WTF are you talking about! Exactly Who is going to take away exactly What?

Tell you what dino, why don't you post some of that full auto stuff on the smith-wessonforum.com ..... yeah thats what I thought, that doesn't belong there either (hows that for an analogy) and since its owned by a private company they get to call the ball. SEMA would love to read your "stick together" letter.

Nobody is running anyone out, there are sites specifically catering to RR and that theme, THIS AINT IT THAT SITE.

Either of you take a moment to read the posts on this subject from the OWNER?

When I was making the same arguments, it was explained to me by a couple of rulers in a series of PM's

"The HAMB isn't a democracy, everyone is welcome to their opinion..... but the focus of the Jalopy Journal it isn't up for vote."

This is (for some) the last vestige of traditional and it shouldn't be watered down because of the latest fad or what is currently popular.

7. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

So verbal kint your not going to take your 33 truck and build a ratrod are you......son of a gun those piles are perfect for that!!!

8. BullyDog

BullyDog
    from Atlanta GA

ratrod or not its all about cars and trucks....I can look past a Boyd built P.O.S. just as easy as I can a rusty pile of scrap metal. Thanks for posting all the pictures so I can look at what I choose to. Not at what you wanted me to see.

9. 1950jax

1950jax
    BANNED

A traditional hot rod is put together to look like it was built (or could have been built) decades ago, by using as many parts as possible that were made no later than the Fifties or the Sixties at the latest.

Roadsters, phaetons, cabriolets, coupes, sedans, sedan deliveries, and even pickups are all good candidates; but the "phantom" body styles that are often seen on street rods could be considered to be out-of-place on a traditional car.

<table width="770"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">A street rod could be defined as being a car that resembles a hot rod, but it was built with all new parts. Essentially, you buy all your new parts and put the car together; or as is more often the case with a street rod, you pay people to put it together for you.

Street rods are almost always built with radial tires. Look inside one and you'll often see a tilt steering column, modern seat, and sometimes digital instruments.

</td></tr></tbody></table> <table width="770"><tbody><tr><td valign="top"> High-tech street rodders define the cutting edge of street rodding by using exotic, hand-formed bodywork, and custom-machined parts that often include independent suspension, trick paint, and billet aluminum wheels with low-profile radials.

These cars are almost never built by their owners. As far as cost goes, a modern, high-tech, turn-key street rod can range from around a-hundred-thousand to as high as a million dollars. If you're trying to set a new standard, in show competition against the most exotic, handbuilt show cars in the world, there is really no upper limit to what you can spend.

The lines between the two often blur. Much like the threads on here often do. I think we can all agree we all love the hobby of hot rodding and can appreciate the hard work that goes into an individuals ride.

Thanks for posting the pix. I enjoyed them all.
    </td></tr></tbody></table>

10. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Why does everyone associate young guys with rat rods? I've seen plenty of old guys driving/building piles of crap. What does being young have anything to do with it? Rat rods aren't so much cheaper. I'm willing to bet you could build a killer traditionally inspired car for just as much as any rat rod out there. What the hell does money have to do with chopping way too much out of a car? No money is a poor excuse for poor taste.

Just to put things in perspective, I'm 17.

Also, I think it's funny all the FNG's on here talking like they know what the HAMB is about. Go screw yourselves. :)

11. Hi Denise,

Unfortunatley, the person that posted the pics might actually like those shitboxes. :confused::D

12. BullyDog

BullyDog
    from Atlanta GA

you got that dead on buddy I like that I might just swipe it for my tagline. No money is a poor excuse for poor taste.

13. 1950jax

1950jax
    BANNED

Traditional hot rods have been cycled and recycled for many years, and each time there's a wave of interest in this style of hot rod that emulates an earlier time, an evolution of the breed takes place.

14. To the guys + gals that obviously don't get what Denise is saying, you should join the Ol' Skool Rodz and killbillet forums.

15. M/H Speed and Design

M/H Speed and Design

its amazing hot much energy some of you goobers put into this. agree that some of those cars are hideous, but had you simply not posted, this thread would just move on down. instead, you make this big scene, now its up top wasting space. you really think your little soapbox session is going to make people stop posting pictures and comments about rat rods? soon all new posts will be screened for traditional only content. come on seriously? get a life people.

16. Goob333

Goob333

I would find it nice to look at someone's show pics without someone getting a bug in their ass over whether or not some of their pics are HAMB friendly. Nobody said you had to look at these pictures. You see that big blue button up there in the left corner with a arrow pointing to the left??? Why dont you use it sometime. Some people just have their head so far up their ass they can't get over a bunch of pics. Pissin' me off.

17. I think Strange Agent is right, it isn't about money as much as it is building what gets attention. I've too have noticed recently that it seems to be a certain class of guy's in their 40's and 50's that build the most hideous examples. I suspect they are guys who have always fancied themselves as hot rodders as they cruised around in their '70's Novas and Comaro's and with the advent of rat rods they finally have an opportunity to show that they can build "cool" 30's or 40's cars. Unfortunately, instead of developing real skills as builders, the definition of cool has been dumbed down to their skill level.

I guess the thing that eats me is, what are guys in 20 or 30 years going to have left to build. Ten or Fifteen years ago if you saw a completely tasteless car you could take solace in the thought that, oh well the next guy that owns it can straighten it out. But what can a guy do with an A sedan that's had 1/3'rd of its profile hacked out. At the rate guy's are building these things there is going to be nothing left for hot rodders to work with in just a few years.

18. Tacson

Tacson

Thanks for the sharing the pics 390Merc. Here are the ones I took. Hope you enjoyed yourself.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...view=slideshow

19. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Yep, the tan 4-dr 4-spd Galaxie. Strange how you can drive a car all over the place, hammer down on the interstate for hours on end, then two days after you get home a radiator hose blows apart in the Walmart parking lot!

Attached Files:

20. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Thanks for posting pics from the Shades Merc390. We were there and had a blast. There were cars and trucks of all flavors thats for sure. Alot of the stuff was not Hamb friendly, but there were some VERY nice traditional stuff there too.

It's always a traditional internet police fest when you post pictures, but I still post mine when I take them.

We took the Impala.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

Attached Files:

21. Chainshot

Chainshot

Saw you in downtown Gatlinburg. Glad you made it back home before the hose problem. My dad had a blue '64, when I was a kid. They always catch my eye.

22. 1950jax

1950jax
    BANNED

Thanx "TACSON" for the additional pix. I appreciate you sharing.

23. DeuceDog

DeuceDog
    from Breese, IL

<TABLE width=770><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>"A street rod could be defined as being a car that resembles a hot rod, but it was built with all new parts. Essentially, you buy all your new parts and put the car together; or as is more often the case with a street rod, you pay people to put it together for you."

I agree except for the above. By far the majority of the stree rods are built by the owner, not by someone else. I'm 57, so I have seen a lot of cars over the years, I was in high school when the muscle cars when they were at their zenith. Hell; I owed a 55Chevy, 62 Impala SS and a 70 1/2 Camaro when I was in high school. I just don't understand the dislike for the "Sheep Rods"; "Gold Chainer" or what ever you want to call us. Please remeber, if it wasn't for the popularity of the street rods a lot of the parts a lot of people on here use on their projects would not be available.

DD

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE width=770><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[/QUOTE]

24. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

AMEN, AMEN !!! How quickly we forget when we all drove shit for cars, with no tops , no interior etc.
    I too think the board is having problems with the word " traditional".. Lighten up guys , like Mercdueceman said, it is no different than many of the shows we all attend and love.
    AND thanks for posting the pics !!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  25. edweird

edweird

is my 37 a rat rod? I don't think it is, but that's what everybody calls it. I guess its a stereotype. Knowbody around here even knows what a traditional hot rod is. I just tellum it's a hot rod, not a ratrod.

Attached Files:

26. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

When posting an event coverage thread PLEASE only include "hamb friendly" photos. You may post a link to photobucket of the rest of your OT photos. I don't belong to Ol skool or RR forums and I don't buy mags that feature them. I do not mind seeing them at shows but I DON'T COME HERE FOR THIS.

27. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree ,Thanks for posting the photos.

28. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Denise,
    We miss your event coverage,and your being nice:eek:.....:D......see what happens when you leave us alone?

Thanks 390Merc,you tried

29. SKRTCHSR

SKRTCHSR
    from Cincinnati

Yeah, thanks for the pics. I didn't look at the rat rods! Wish I had the amount of time as others..

30. agtw31

agtw31

nice pics,keep them coming,especially the ones everybody is whining about:D