Register now to get rid of these ads!

U-Haul trailer question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacinGator, Sep 16, 2009.

1. RacinGator

RacinGator
    from Hiram,Ga

I'm going to pick up the 55 Ford pickup on Friday, and I'm having some trouble getting a car trailer from my pals. Has anyone here used a U-haul trailer to haul an older truck home? The reason I'm asking is because I was told it may not fit, and I don't have a way to do any measuring right now. I have to drive about 80-90 miles to get the truck and it would be so cool to have some idea about whether it'll go on there or not BEFORE I got all the way there:) Thanks for any help!!

2. '50 Ford woodie wagon fits on one, if that helps. Is a little tight, a lot hangs off the ends.

3. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

How are the rearend and tires? If it's stock height I dont see why you cant unhook the driveshaft and get a dolly to haul your "1995 Camry" home. I did that with my milk truck :D

4. as long as it is not an 8 foot bed, my 53 ford truck has and 8 foot bed and is a tad to long

5. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

6. RacinGator

RacinGator
    from Hiram,Ga

This has to be the fastest message board on the net!! Thanks for the replys guys. I never thought about hauling the " 1995 Camry" home on a dolly.;)

7. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Your '55 will fit fine. If it's severely lowered, use wood to block up the front wheels so the bumper/splash pan doesn't contact the wheel stops on the Auto Transport.

(I just so happen to own a '55 F100 and work for U-Haul doing R&D on our trailers... expert enough for ya? ;))

8. RacinGator

RacinGator
    from Hiram,Ga

Cant get more "expert" than that! :>)

9. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

get it brought home on a tilt tray, safer and cheaper.

10. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

hey Gator, if I wasn't going to Lebanon Friday I'd give you a hand picking up that truck....

11. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

It'll fit, but if you're towing with a half ton just be warned that front bumper will be over the front of the trailer a ways as will the front part of the engine. In other words you're going to have a BUNCH of tongue weight on your truck.

Also call ahead to make sure U-haul will allow you to rent the trailer to you with the tow vehicle you're using. They like longer wheelbase trucks. The only reason I get trailers with my '95 F150 short wheel base regular cab pickup is because my father in law owns a chain of U-hauls locally. The computer says my truck is a no-no because of wheelbase.

12. Gruizer54

Gruizer54

I towed a 54 chevy pickup (longbed) on a u-haul trailer with my 06 Toyota 4runner about 300 miles with no problem at all.

13. flatford39

flatford39

I towed my 79 4 wheel drive suburban with one. It was a real tight fit but once up there it was alright.

14. 61TBird

61TBird

When you go to pick up the trailer at UHaul,If you have a 1/2 ton 2wd truck OR an SUV,they will not rent to you.
    I have an '01 F150 Super Crew,the only reason I can get a trailer from UHaul is,it's 4wd AND has the Factory Tow Package.
    Call ahead to be sure,and it's a Toyota/Honda/Mitsu/VW/ or any other small car you can think of that you're going to tow.

15. RacinGator

RacinGator
    from Hiram,Ga

I'll be towing with an 03 F250 (borrowed)

16. RacinGator

RacinGator
    from Hiram,Ga

onlychevrolets, I appreciate the thought!!

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Something else that folks always forget is the driver's side (i think) fender folds down so you can open the drivers door. Don't ask me how many thousands of people have crunched doors into that fender trying to squeeze their fatasses out. lol

Don't ask me how I know...

Also if you take off with the fender hanging, the trailer will still tow just fine...

I'll say a "friend" did that... again, don't ask.

-Chris

18. dwjj

dwjj

I just rented a uhaul trailer yesterday. They looked up tow vehicle=2wd 1/2ton suburban, vehicle towed=2wd ext cab S10, and said it was fine by their computer.

It looks like a shortbed ford is 110", longbed 118". Chevy 47-50 shortbed is 116", longbed 125", and the S10 is 108" shortbed, 118 longbed, 122 ext cab. So this one 122" ext cab that I towed was more than fine, with plenty of room behind it. I'd think size wise you're fine

(mine was a 200mi tow from Houston to Round Rock, S10 to put my '50 on)

19. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I rented a smaller trailer last summer from U-Haul. Got from Mass. to the Ohio line and the wheels were ready to fall off. They NEVER grease wheel bearings.

20. I rent U-Hauls all the time. I've had a '65 Chevy Suburban on one of the 2 axle auto hauler with no problem.
    When they ask what you're going to put on it, just say a 93 Toyota Carola.

21. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

LOL... U-haul only fixes shit after it breaks.

"preeeveentaatiiiive maaiiintenaaaaanceee?" "What's that?"

22. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

Hauled my 48 Olds form Oklahoma to Bothell, WA on a U-Haul trailer, had over hang but no problem. The hinged drivers side fender is great. I used a 1-ton van.

23. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

You are correct about the lack of maintanance. I use their car trailers four or five times a year. Keeps the hard miles off my own trailers.

I always use a 2000 Dodge 2-wheel 1/2 ton. Always tell them I'm hauling a 78 Chevy Malibu. Local.
    Never have hauled one, but their computer likes that combination.

I have hauled an International backhoe from Pennsylvania, A forklift from S. Carolina. A crankshaft grinder from Kansas. Several old pickups. You just have to play their game!:D

24. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

i just went into the hook up book entered a 2003 stanard cab long bed 3/4 2wd towing a 55 ford 1/2 ton and it said auto transport recomended

25. elanore56

elanore56

hauld my buick with one a few months ago and it was fine, it hung over the end but it worked.
    [​IMG]

26. elanore56

elanore56

This is true, I told my local U-Haul i was towing a 1994 honda.:rolleyes:

27. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

I had a guy that swore up and down that a 66 half ton truck wouldn't fit on a oenske trailer. I found that had to believe.

28. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Hilarious... so you ever wonder why the f#$%ing wheels fall off while you're towing overweight equipment multiple times a year on OUR trailers?! :mad: Say, all you guys who lied about the towed vehicle don't mind giving me your full legal names, do you friends? ...you know, for Christmas cards...

29. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

30. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You must have known the U-haul dealer where you got that trailer. They have gotten very picky about the tow vehicle and the towed vehicle on their website. There are two trailers they rent, the red bed and the silver bed. The red bed is ok for little cars, but the silver bed is better (longer) for the big cars.

Funny story about U-haul, the last car trailer I used had a Tenessee license plate on it that was bent severely and ready to fall off. Well that is exactly what happened, but left a little 2x2 piece so I could prove my story. Well I turned it in, still there with no plate.

I have survived all my endeavors with u-haul auto transports, no wheel problems.