Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have you seen my old custom '49 Ford coupe???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The_Monster, Sep 16, 2009.

1. The_Monster

The_Monster

The following letter is from my dad. He is why Im into hotrods and customs today. He customized a 49 Ford as a kid and he'd like to know if anyone has seen it. He hasnt seen it for 38 years!!!

"I'm hoping someone out there has seen my old '49 Ford Coupe. If you've ever seen it you won't forget it...it's one of a kind...see the attached photos. I traded it off 38 yrs ago to a guy in Portland Oregon and would like to know where it's been.

It's most distinguishing features were a 4" channel job, with fully radiused wheel wells, rounded hood and door corners, pancake trunk lid, and bobbed doors. When I say "bobbed doors" I mean the bottom of the doors were cut off just below the lower door hinge and the bottom half welded solid. It had snap-in Plexiglass windows with no vent windows. Also the frame had round steel tube "receivers' welded on for the QD nerf bars. It had a simple, but heavy steel roll bar and a hand formed sheet metal dash (console) and the speedo cluster was mounted to the center of the dash. It had a rear "wrap-around" seat. The '57 Ford dished steering wheel had the top third cut away. The 352 Mercury engine and automatic was set back in the frame with a tube "frame-adapter" (orange). It had custom made reversed wheels, front and back roll pans, oval grille opening, and deep tunneled tail lights...and of course frenched headlights. It was unchopped when I last saw it.

Thanks."

If anyone has seen it or know where it was last, it would mean a great deal to him. Thanks alot! Ask your friends!

(The following pics are in random order of progress)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  2. Would be a miracle if its still out there somewhere. Really a decent custum in the building for its time.-Weeks

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  3. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Love, I mean I LOVE those pix! Good luck! Keep bumpin this thread---I bet you will get some good input!

4. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

that is a cool lookin car!

5. The_Monster

The_Monster

thanks for the comments on the car and photos! Just hope someone will recognize it.
    Here are some more pics of it

Attached Files:

6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Ive never ssen any hint of it anywhere but Im sure glad you posted the pics!

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Glad to see such a complete "history" of a home-built custom. Sorry you lost it. Hope you find it!

8. williebill

williebill

Thanks for posting...that's cool as hell....Hope you find it

9. LULL

LULL

Those seats are eames fiberglass shell chairs! That would be a great Idea for an early roadster or coupe!

10. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Haven't seen the car, but it looks like your old man stole my Roth's hat!:cool:

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

12. James66g

James66g

Hey man no idea were this guy is at but thought I would reply and help keep you on top! I sure wish I could find one of my old mans harleys but this thing if its still around will be a tad easier to spot then a dressed flh!

13. coolfoot

coolfoot
    from Oregon

cool car !!! Thanks Monster for posting the pics

14. moontanker

moontanker
    from tn.

I hope you find it cause you sure put alot of time and work in it.Only ghosts of old rods can haunt us.

15. The_Monster

The_Monster

Thanks guys for the comments. My dad loved this car! As many of you know, when you start a family, some things must take a back burner. Well, my dad traded this car to someone in Oregon. This guy apparently just buys cars and lets them sit on his acreage. So its possible that this car is sitting out in some field with tons of other cool rides, never to be driven again. Quite a shame if you ask me. Maybe you know someone that fits the discription?

16. colorado51

colorado51

Any idea where it was last seen (state, city)?

17. vein

vein

whoa! that is some radical customizing I love it! Ill keep my eyes peeled!

18. your dad did this at home ? wow and a true ford guy what happened to the fairlane ? I truely hope you find this car.

19. haven't seen anything like it around. it's been 38 yrs. who knows whats been done to it. cool car though.

20. mtrhead

mtrhead

cool car...had alot of time on his hands:D

21. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

TOO COOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, , , , i absolutely LOVE that car, , , , good luck in your search, , ,bumping it to the top for you, so more people see this, , , LOTS of great ideas on that car, , ,AND those pictures RULE, , , your dad ROCKS!!!!

22. -Brent-

-Brent-

Well said! I agree!

23. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

I agree, that car is nuts!! These photos rule...And that HAT!! I wish dad still had that hat! hahaha. Hope dad finds his first ride. I'm keeping my eyes peeled from now on.

24. Rikster

Rikster

Great car.. great custom.

To bad I dont know anything more about it after your father lost contact.

I will add them to my Web site (with your permission) and see if anybody who visits that might recognize it.

25. The_Monster

The_Monster

Sure! Post these pics all over, just as long as its in the interest of my dad finding it. And yes, he did it all in a little garage.

Thanks for the comments on the car and the build. And yea, "My dad rocks!" haha!

Heres 5 more pics

Attached Files:

26. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

That is awesome...it has a old dirt track modified look wich as a kustom is totally against the grain and i totally dig it....I would love to have seen it done...We all can only pray it is still out there and intact!..

27. The_Monster

The_Monster

You hit it on the head! It always looked as if it was meant for the racetrack or an oval. But maybe because it wasnt finished, and kinda grungey, it seemed best fit on a dirt or clay track, at least to me. :)

And youre right, my dad has always been different. Not only customizing things far from original, but usually going in a different direction than the masses. Maybe that explains why I have a thing for 4 doors and wagons!:rolleyes:

28. The_Monster

The_Monster

bttt

29. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Dude, i'm just loving all these pics!!