Register now to get rid of these ads!

how to protect bare metal ground???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dan, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Dan

Dan

Everything you says to scrape any areas where a ground is attached down to bare metal to get a good ground, makes sense. How do you protect the area to keep it from getting all rusty and thus getting a bad ground (this is the exterior of the vehicle obviously)??? thanks

2. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

If it's not in the weather then you could use the stuff from any auto parts store to stop battery terminal corrosion. After you attach the ground and it's tightened down you can paint over what's left also.

3. squirrel

squirrel

tar. spray on grease. paint. Move to AZ. lots of ways to do it.

4. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

At the shop I've had bad luck with the cans of battery terminal protectant. It seems like it never dries and always remains kind of wet. I always end up rubbing my arm or something else across it while trying to do something and it smears off. I started to use the NAPA disc brake quiet spray (used on the back of pads). It's something we already had in the shop, dries after a few minutes and doesn't come off easily. Works for me.

Jay

5. Petroleum jelly. I don't know what you call it in the U.S., it's like KY jelly, but not as much fun.

6. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

I always make my connection to bare metal then paint it, the ground wire terminal and metal are still touching.

7. Um, we call it PETROLEUM JELLY:D

Dan, you missed one hell of a good swap this last week!

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Spray it with Gibbs.