Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look @ what I built today!Homemade break pics...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evilone0528, Sep 15, 2009.

1. evilone0528

evilone0528

Yo H.A.M.B.er's.Check out how I spent my day(actually two days).It works well for what Im doing.Any way....less talk more pics.

EVIL

Attached Files:

2. Lucky77

Lucky77

Neat, I really dig homemade tools

3. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

That my friend is two days WELL spent!

Nick.

4. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

nice job. guess the boss was on vacation this week

5. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I'll take some rockers for a 50 Chevy 2 door sedan, while you're at it! ;)

6. Twisted6

Twisted6

what gage can you do with it?

7. phqnflt

phqnflt
    from NOR CAL

When can we start making orders?? That shits cool.

8. evilone0528

evilone0528

I'm all ways on vacation Pat!I have spent the past few weeks working on tooling while the worker bees keep the place making money.....ahhhh.....its good to be king!HAHAHA.

9. evilone0528

evilone0528

coming right up!:D

10. evilone0528

evilone0528

I bent some 18ga today.That's about the max I would ever bend,its also the heaviest I have in stock.

11. evilone0528

evilone0528

That's funny....my employees kept telling me I should start selling them too.Its a lot of work to build one,but worth it in the end.

12. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Nice work, time well spent.

13. Craven Moorhead

Craven Moorhead
    from New Berlin

I always felt like your doing something when you make the tools that make the parts, nice work.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

With your pivot point being in front of the verticle you will never get a crisp 90 degree bend. I see your example bend has more of a radius instead to a tight 90.
    Look at a pro brake and see what I mean. If the results are satisfactory to you, rock on.

Frank

15. evilone0528

evilone0528

Yo Frank

That is a good point and I am fully aware of that fact.I built it that way on purpose.I do a lot or restoration work and I have found I all most never have the need for a real sharp 90 degree bend.I kinda like the "softer" edge,I dont know why,its just more pleasing to me.

I have got my eye on a 4 foot box and pan break.I think between the two,they should cover about any thing I could ever want to bend.I just finished the welding on the new break today,so I haven't had much time to play with it yet,but I have been thinking of ways to get the radius sharper if I need it.Any suggestions?

16. Crease

Crease

Nice, very nice!

17. evilone0528

evilone0528

That is a fine point.I don't know what one would do to find it,but I do know this.There is a fine reason why I didn't get many results when I did a search for "breaks" on here!Sorry about that.I never claimed to be smart!

18. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

That's awesome, i might make one too!!:D

19. ranchwagun

ranchwagun

I just started planning to build my own brake earlier today. Weird i would see this tonight. I think i will be stealing a few of your design features. And i agree most of the bends a I make have a somewhat lazy radius. looks good to me.

20. oldiron73

oldiron73
    from WISCONSIN

Lets put this thing to work.
    Friday night your place, I'll bring the beer.

21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's great! I can see a trip for me to ALRO steel store in the near future!

22. evilone0528

evilone0528

No No James....its bigger!This one is more like the one he and I discussed 4 or 5 years ago.

23. The_Hermit

The_Hermit
    from France

How about making the top part able to slide anything up to 1/2 inch forwards ? From what I can see in the pictures you'd need to make the mounting holes 'oval' and 1/2" long, and allow for a tightening system on either side (like a big wheel / handle instead of the bolts you have there currently ?

Set-up might be a bit time consuming but then you can bend however sharp you want. A metal rule either side would help make set-up easier.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  24. Twisted6

Twisted6

Could you not slide a thicker peice of Lets say Stainles /More less bendable Over the pivot to make for a much shaper brake?

25. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I like homemade tools....I want to build a brake , so I might copy yours.

26. evilone0528

evilone0528

go for it man!

27. TuffLuckTom

TuffLuckTom

Man that is alot nicer than the one I built this spring. Well mine isnt done completely either... My hinges are kinda hokey. I had yet to move the milling machines down here from Maine. But this rig bends up 11ga alum like a champ. Really gotta get around to adding my bracing though and paint... I feel the trick with the hinges is to put the pivot point right center of the inner top corner of the follower or bending bar (know what I mean?). I was afraid of having too little throat and scoring/sheering the material. So I made them adjustable. In hind sight it hasnt bothered... You guys with more time could blow these hinges out of the water easily. And really I could too now that I have my tools relocated. But when I made this all I had was a grinder and tig welder... All of my other tools still resided in Maine.
    Grrr Gotta reboot the comp to recognize the memory card. Pics soon to follow.

28. TuffLuckTom

TuffLuckTom

Some day when I am bored I will be fabricate the hinges but they work ace for now. But man they look like a$$ Who knows most likely I will just wait for them to fail...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]