Register now to get rid of these ads!

electrical problem ...a little help please..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Sep 15, 2009.

1. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Ok I installed a Rebel wiring kit.I have everything pretty much tied in and working with the exception of the brake light and turn signals. heres what I have and what im finding.
    I have a gm column that it is tieiing into. everything seems to be tied to the correct wire but I dont seem to be getting power when I hit the signals.
    If I press the emergency flasher button I get the 2 front signals flashing and sometimes only one will flash
    I have power to on side of the brake switch and the switch shows closing when I step on the brake but I seem to lose it in the column.
    could the wires going threw the column not be making? If so how do I check this or fix this problem. once I square this away I can wrap up the wiring on the truck!
    Thanks

2. Joes50

Joes50

Well with the GM Column you should be able to probe the pin connector "P" for brake juice on the brake wire entering the column. If you have power from the brake entering the connector then probe the M and then the N connector pin for juice leaving the column going to the rear. Here's some more information off my website.

http://50chevy.freeservers.com/Remote_Entry.html#GM STEERING

3. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

and if im not getting anything coming out from the M and N connectors?? Then what?

Thanks

4. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

If you are sure it is wired correctly, try a known-good TS switch and see what happens.
    :cool:

5. Joes50

Joes50

If nothing coming out of the M and N connector then either the hazard switch is staying on some and not letting the contacts pass the power out to the rear taillights or the switch contacts are dirty or worn out. Try just moving the signal lever slightly up or down with your foot on the brake to see if power will pass to the M and N connectors.

6. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

Check each bulb individually. You should have two wires going to each signal light. A bright, and a regular. Touch each wire to a trickle-charger (which is how you test these things, not with a mult-amp battery that can burn the wiring up if it is wrong).

Label and/or check that the wire goes to the right part of the bulb.

Now that you have all four bulbs tested, temporarily touch the brake wire to both of the bright wires and press the brake. Both rear brights should light. That proves the brake switch works.

That leaves only the steering column to troubleshoot.

What I'm getting at, is split the troubleshooting into basic parts.

7. Sounds wire incorrect. But, it could be a bad turnsignal switch. Is it a 67 72 pickup.

8. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

I know that the wiring to the rear is right. I have technostlga leds in the rear, I have check and have power to one side of the brake switch and when the brakes are pressed the switch closes. I know that the other wire from the brake switch goes to the column. I have a tester and can power up each lamp from the column on the out put side and get the lamps to flash. if I turn the hazards on the 2 front lamps will blink. I have found that I have to wiggle one of the wires occasionall to get it to work. when I try to activate either turn signal there seems to be no power. same witht the brake light I can press the brake and get a closed switch but cant seem to get the power trhu the column. I know all the wires go up the column and hit the blinker switch. how can I test that? I want to think its in the switch but thats where im lost. how do I test this part of the circuit? and do you think im on the right track?

9. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

its a 41 ford truck 283 motor rebel wiring kit pretty straight foward. tail lights work, parking lights work, head lights work,
    brakes lights no work,
    right turn no work
    left turn no work.
    front hazards work but no power coming out of column for rear.........

10. Do you fully understand how a signal switch works? The Wizzard

11. GM Signal switch color code.
    Left front light blue
    Right front solid blue
    Left rear yellow
    Right rear green From flasher purple
    4 Way Dark brown
    From brake switch white
    With the arm in nuteral and the 4 ways off you should be able to put power to the White wire and have power coming out of the Yellow and green wires. If you don't then the switch is bad. Be sure the arm is in center and 4 ways off.
    The Wizzard

12. With power on the Purple wire and the arm to Left turn you should have power on the Green wire and none on the Yellow. In the Right turn position there would be power on the Yellow and not the Green one. If not the switch is bad.
    The Wizzard