Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best Mercury ever built?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PrecisionGuesswork, Sep 14, 2009.

1. This thread is pointless. Why would you ask a question that you so obviously have your own answer too? You heap praise on every car someone adds, but keep on saying if you could pick one, it would still be Carey's? WTF?

Vintage build, Hirohata. Modern build, tie between Jesse's and FlamedABone's.

2. James66g

James66g

OK so this thread kinda got hijacked but I think its a cool question. And if My ride was mentioned I would be pretty stoked. Personally I feel like when you put torch to a pillar on a Merc (late 40s to mid 50s) your stand a shot at creating a legacy car ie a car people will refer to as the (builder or patrons name) merc. to pick just one would be to much to ask. So until I can build my own I submit my top 6 for your debate.

The sam
    The matranga
    The A.S.S or Jesse James
    Mark Mortons 54
    The candy green lucky 7
    The Baker or Roseville Rod & Custom ( as seen in Sac w the Caddillac caps only )

3. striper

striper

You guys are soooo lame!

Two words: Stallone, Cobra

[​IMG]

4. Yes i would have to agree ,that's one kool cop kar.
    But my heart still with the Hirohata.

5. striper

striper

I think you mean kool kop kar

6. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

hirohata's the best merc ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. SORRY MATE NOTHING TOPS MERCULES!!! IT'S WORLD CLASS!!!:D

[​IMG]

8. striper

striper

That pic is an obvious rip off of my man Sly's Kool Kemp. Even tried to emulate the body roll.

You need to have a good look at yourself, boy.

9. moter

moter

10. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

That poor merc why, what did some one do to it the headlights do not fit the car at all, not my cup of tea.

11. devilleish

devilleish

The Hirohata clone is the car that shoved me into traditional customs in 1985 at the impressionable age of 10. It caught my eye being so close to the colors my dad's '56 Bel Air was painted. Looking at it now, it seems a bit disproportionate - it looks much bigger than it actually is, which may have been the point.

12. Hirohata.... now that's out of the way. I love Jesse's merc, but the grille treatment has always bothered me. The single bar seems too simple, and the aluminum radiator sticks out like a sore thumb.

13. buickbelle

buickbelle

Wanna hard pick? Go to the KKOA Blast with the past show in Dennison and check out the ring of Mercs there, now there is a toughie!!! You'll find yourself saying eenie meanie miney moe!

Carrie

14. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  15. John50

John50

Dean Bryant built the Cobra Merc and morphed it in something pretty sick. Seeing Dean's merc at Paso in 99 motivated me to purchase/drive my 49. And Carey Harts merc looks like the 50 merc we built out of spare parts, a 2k body from a meth dealer in Yucipa and some free hot rodz flatz. I feel like flat black, red wheels and a SBC has been beaten to death. I dont know how anyone can even say which is the best merc but the Bellancourt merc always looked right. Does it seem weird that the first ones cut up in the early 50's still look the best? That 50 plus years later it is still hard to match dudes working with a gas torch.

Hirohata Merc. Even though I'd personally never want to build a car that flashy, the amount of modifications is mind numbing, and they all work really well. Nothing is stock on that car and it's amazing. Every time I look at that car I notice something else that has been modified.

Mercury Charlie. That is one well put together car. I wouldn't change a thing.

Bettancourt Barris Version. This car is tasteful, classy, and is one of those 3-4 Mercs that influenced all the rest. I didn't make it #2 because Nadine is just that amazing.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I think you may be on the wrong message board if that merc is your idea of the best, nothing traditional about it....

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

>>>Louis Bettancort's Merc first done by Ayala Bros and not the Barris version.

>>>Sam Barris Merc even though it was not completed as far as interior and exhuast it's my favorite.

>>>Flamedabone's transformed Merc was about as good and clean as it gets today.

>>>JeffSled's merc is really nice too and happens to be one of my favorites.

>>>Jesse James' Merc has got to have the nicest interior ever....hands down.

19. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Cmon man, Dean Bryant could do better than that blindfolded. Eddie Paul did the movie cars.

20. I find it interesting that you like the Ayala version of the Bettancourt Merc better. Although they did the majority of the work on it and clearly gave it it's look I always found it just a bit bare with all of the chrome removed and no trim (windows, beltline, sides). For me that is where the Barris version adds some flair to an admittidly beautiful but in my eyes slightly boring car.

21. 00 MACK

00 MACK

One of the baddest mercs ever was done by Chuck Sides of Dayton Ohio.

22. ChrisinPhilly

ChrisinPhilly

casting a vote for Jerry Quesnal's

23. MERC 55

MERC 55

In my opinion best Merc has to be MERC 55.

Attached Files:

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

There's MORE to Merc's than '49-51's......

25. There may be MORE but very few are cooler:D

26. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

like a lynx or tracer ?
    49-51 the first and last mercs ever !!!

27. johnnykck

johnnykck

You are joking, right?? Please tell me that you're joking.

pecker head likes this.
  28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just like the Ayala version more for some strange reason. The grille bar in the Barris version kills the car for me. The Gold Yellow color is another reason why I loved the first version but I can totally agree that perhaps something more needs to be there. I think if the Ayala Bros were given the chance to finish I think it would have turned out perfect.

But again, the Barris Merc in original form in 50 or 51 probably needed more work but the stance and paint are enough for me to grant it my favorite pick. I am not Merc expert though. I have never had the privilege of sitting in one let alone owning one.

29. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

Mercules is FUUUUGLEEEEE!

30. HIROHATA - Repeat after me until you get it

Matranga - See above

Sam Barris

Bettencourt, Barris version

Hegman

Everything else follows after. Repeat Everything follows these. End of story

And sorry Cary Hart might have been a good X Gamer (first back flip was pretty cool) and be married to Pink but his Merc isn't even a footnote in the listing of classic Merc's.