Register now to get rid of these ads!

rod run to the end of the world crash?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dads31cp, Sep 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dads31cp

dads31cp
    Member Emeritus

Our 35 Ford Phaeton was crashed into by an out of control 2005 Corvette at the end of the world rod run on saturday. anybody get any video? The vette guys had a camp across from where we had parked on the side of the road on hwy 103 at 200th lane. and one of theirs pulled out of the driveway and apparently switched off his traction lock to give everyone a show. When he hit 2nd gear he launched across the road and wasted the rt front of my buddies car before coming to rest on a stump. He was arrested for felony wreckless driving and we were told more charges would likely be filed. he's in deep shit as he should be. Guys were starting to get pretty brave and the locals had a regular burn out pit on the road complete with water on the pavement and I was even told they had been handing out hotdogs to some of the participants.Smokey burnouts are one thing but launches like some of these guys were doing are best left to the drag strip. Some of the guys had to be going close to 100mph by the second block with people on lining both sides. please use some restraint around that many people or some will die. We took the wreck to the sunday part of the car show to get some feedback and try to get some to realize what can happen. I had a older guy come up and tell me that he didn't think it would be much consolation to us but he had been sitting each year in lawn chairs for the last several years on the very spot we were parked and had we not been parked there when he came out of his cabin he would have been sitting there and we would have some obituaries to read. Thank goodness nobody was severely hurt. just some cuts and bruises to the guys sitting in our car.

2. glmke

glmke

I heard silversink on the hamb had pics. might want to shoot him a message. what a shame this had to happen.I was down in seaside,glad i missed all the drama

3. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

Well, 2005 Corvette Guy and others like him are the reason we no longer attend "End of the World" in LongBeach(OceanPark). We went for many years, from the beginning, in fact. But every year like most other events, The kids in the Jacked 4x's, Tuners, Crotchrockets, and gangsta shit made the cruise through town like running the gauntlet. Cops were everywhere and it all just took away from the Vintage-HotRod-Classic Show the Beach Barons were lookin for. Too bad the squirrels had to ruin it for your buddy, But It's great nobody got hurt. I'm thinkin they should have a year limit for the show. Maybe that would cut some of the "newer" stuff from showin up. who knows. They changed the date a few years back to get it off the 3-day weekend, hoping to quiet it down a bit. but notta. Hope ya had fun anyways.

4. glmke

glmke

seaside show is 63 and older i think

5. Glad nobody was hurt badly, hope the Vette is totalled and becomes parts for somebody's hot rod project, and hope the '35 Phaeton can be put back as good as it was before it got hit. Nice to know that really extreme reckless driving like that can be upgraded to a felony.

6. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Someone always has to ruin it. Glad all are ok, hope the car gets fixed, and Vette guy goes away.

7. and the word I just got was attendance was really low

8. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

9. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

geez...that sucks. did anyone find pics yet?

10. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

Sorry about your car, That really sucks that some asshat had to be a show off, this is the same reason all of us import guys get classified into the idiot tuner category, not all of us are like this or act like this moron in the vette. It's always someone with no brains who ruins it for everyone else. Of course the paper headlines will read "Hot rodder causes crash" doesn't matter that a vette isn't one, to the dumbed down public it's "one of those horrible hot rodders" :mad:

11. glmke

glmke

400 registered 200 -300 non-registerd

lower then normal but that is a sign of the times,great show otherwise

12. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

are you going to try and repair her? I hope you had good insurance sometimes peoples companies will refuse to pay in the event of reckless driving.

13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Sorry to hear about your Phaeton, I hope that you are able to put it back together without too much hassle.

We used to go to this run, but stopped about ten years ago.

14. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

The option to leave probably presented itself many times.

15. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

That sucks. I am glad that no one was hurt though

16. RichG

RichG

Long Beach has gotten out of control period. Throw in a big event weekend and it's a mess. We don't got there at all nowadays:(

17. wow! that was right where my place was. maybe having a bad tooth wasn't so bad after all cause i do know if that dipship had hit my car that 2005 vette would have been turned into a "cuban sailboat"!:eek: wondered why nobody was going and this sums it up. the organizers need to have a cut-off like most shows of ? to keep this stuff from happening.

18. last time I was there was in 2000 and it was going on then too! down by a McDonalds if I remember right,hope they nail the asshole to the wall and you get whats right for fixin your car and the time lost

19. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

They announced on Sunday that the corvette was not a registered car for the Rod Run. I'm not really sure how you keep that type of thing from happening over the weekend.

20. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

i was there this weekend and talked to some locals about why they cant organize the in town cruising better. they said the state wont let them close streets for cruising because they are state hwys and have to remain open to the public. one guy also said the beachbarons are considering not doing the run anymore because the cost of permits are suposed to cost 20k next year. if i were to guess i would say that at least 75 % or more cars cruising were not hotrods or special interest cars- unless you think your 78 f250 4x4 w/40" tires is a show piece. we were counting all the pt cruisers and lost count. i seen more ford tauruses in long beach than i've seen in the ghetto where i work.

21. I stopped going about 10 years ago, when some dipshit in a mid 80's corvette decided to do cookies in the middle of town in Long Beach, and the Willys pickup lost control and hit all the people on the side of the highway. Seaside has been a blast every year I have gone, 10 years now, and very kid and crowd friendly. About 500+ this year, a little down from last year, but still a terrrific time. We have already booked for next year.

22. edsel

edsel

So that was the story on the 35 , me and dad saw it go by on a flat bed tow truck and figured some Ass Hat had crashed into it. So he must have been with that very large group of vettes parked on the west side of the Highway.
    I wish the police would start really harassing the punks that gather on the side of the road spraying water down and trying very hard to get people stupid, If they started getting locked up for say instigating trouble or something maybe it would cut down on some of the stupidity, those assholes get pissy with you if you don't burn out (my dad even rolled up his window because they were getting uncomfortably close to in his face) , but he still had fun cruising.

edsel

23. Nitrid

Nitrid
    from Kansas

This doesn't mean that GOOD people should leave what COULD be a GREAT time. It's not his fault some hot headed jackass smashed up his car.

However, if this shit is going on, and all the GOOD people do leave, it just might say something to the promoters about policing the grounds they chose to have the event on, or who they let into the damn thing period. Sometimes the best action is a REaction.

Sorry to hear about your car...
    I hope vette guy gets more than whats comming to him, and then some.

It's all fun and games until someone gets their car smashed up, or their skin smeared across a bumper.

Here's hoping the insurance pays well, for the car, and enough left over for a vacation to cruise it to when it's all put back together.

Best of luck, and I hope your friends in the car heal well.

24. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

did anyone find pictures yet? do you have pics of your cab?

25. vein

vein

man that sucks! Go figure some idiot who doesn't know his car! Seaside has gotton out of control. The cruise through town is filled with newer cars, rice burners, 4 by 4's, crotchrockets. What they should do is when you register your car, you are given a pass that will allow you to cruise and if you dont have that pass the cops should issue warnings and tickets.

26. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

i have an idea - since it is so unsafe to go to runs where people drive their hotrods - to be driven like hotrods- maybe we should all stay home where its safe and no one will get hurt and we can eliminate accidents completely. in fact we wont have any use for the word accident anymore. maybe i'm missing something here but if i remember right it was the excitement of getting away with burning tires is what made a true hotrodder. maybe we can just make a rule if your gonna cruise you have to have an officer ride with you so you wont cause any trouble -- hhmmm good idea huh.
    what happened to let people be responsible for themselves and quit trying to police everyone - i pay for my insurance in case i have an accident - i think if i screw up i pay dearly for that- let the police do their jobs and if your not one dont tell me how to drive my car. i didnt build my cars to please anyone but me - if you dont like how i drive -- tough shit.

27. recardo

recardo
    from Winslow

...and then you get a job, get married, have kids, become successful. If you're still spinning your wheels, you are missing out on life.

28. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

yes i guess
    i should get me one of those duster things and sit in a field with a whole bunch of other people with duster things and keep polishing my car and bitching about others sturring up dust - sit there and guard my car against any unwanted finger prints just in case my trailer queen may get touched. like i said i think hotrodding has turned into a bunch of sniveling middle aged wimps out trophy hunting. and trying to turn everyone else into them.:)

29. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

KOOL..you have a good sense of humor..thanks.. you made my day

30. BEBO

BEBO
    from LUFKIN, TX

time and place. insurance doesn't replace dead people. it must suck to get offended so easily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.