Register now to get rid of these ads!

Probably OT but DAMN! it was cool

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

We go to Galveston a number of times a summer (live in Houston) Many of those times B-17s and B-24s fly really low over the surf. Really a neat site. Galveston has the Confederate air force museum there.

I remember as a kid seeing an SR-71 fly over the runway at what looked like 20 ft. at full speed. I remember the sound. It felt like my ears were being torn off.

2. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

Jets = cool
    POTUS comming to town = not cool

Here in Louisville, the airport is on the south end of town, and downtown is on the north end. They shut down all the roads, effectively cutting the city in 1/2. Sometimes for up to 8 hours.

A couple years ago, my kids didn't get off the school bus till 10:15 at night because of this! :eek:

Sorry if my rant seems un-patriotic,,, but I do gotta wonder why the POTUS is so self important that a city of a million people is forced to put their lives on hold for a whole day so he can attend a political rally and fund raiser for a couple hundred of the silver spoon crowd? :mad:

3. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

Great thread,i went to the mather airshow this weekend and boy let me tell you!!!!!!!!!!!!more the once did i get that anxious feeling of excitement!the f22 was insane!also getting to see the b2 was nuts!there are only twenty of them!(it flew over three times)im not up on all my air stuff but im definitly gonna look more into it for sure.thats how all this hot rodding freedom started!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. codeblu

codeblu

I was stationed in Germany in the 80's (Hahn) living off base, one afternoon driving (Kadett wagon) to work from the village I lived in came over a good size hill and just above the deck facing me is an A-10, couldn't have been more than 10 ft above my car, BADASS piece of equipment. I miss the Air Force. WE own the sky.

5. Rande

Rande

In the 60s I lived in Tampa near McDill AFB. First jets I remember had straight wings with what looked like tanks on their ends. Don't know what they were. Then they got F-4s and things got LOUD. All day long in school, those jets would be flying.

I'd see cargo planes, fighters, bombers, everything seemed to come in there. Once during the 80's (after I moved back) I saw an SR-71 come in for a landing there.

We used to attend all the air shows.

6. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

I don’t think war birds of any vintage should be considered off topic, they have helped to provide the security we so often take for granted, which allows us to pursue our many passions some of which this site is dedicated to, and they continue to do so. Oh by the way, I will be leaving for Reno this Friday morning. Can’t wait to hear the “sound of round” and the wail of a modified Merlin or two and Steve Hinton calling out over the radio to the formed up competitors, “Gentlemen you have a race.”

7. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I live in the flight line of Wright-Patt AFB and get to see hear and FEEL this on a daily basis. We get fighter, cargo and troop haulers overhead daily; even the occasional helo or 6. It's great to see. Even when I'd least want to hear it, it doesn't bother me. That's my tax dollars at work; paying those guys to practice. And lets be honest, you want them to be fully practiced and ready when needed. Fly on man.

8. A buddy of mine and I went to the nascar race here in Joliet last year. The coolest part of the whole race is the National Anthem and the fly-over. When it was over my buddy said to me he almost cried he was so proud

9. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

warbirds are never off topic, they are just flying hot rods!! :D They had started flying jets down here at Spence Field again,first time since WW2, I was enjoying it, I work on the field ,then a bunch of morons complained about the noise, (spence is outside of town} so they packed up and moved them. People who complain about the sounds of Military aircraft have no appreciation for our freedoms.

10. oldchevyseller

oldchevyseller
    from mankato mn

they were in town for the gopher game at the new stadium we played airforce and kicked their butt, they provided the flyover:p

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Military Demo teams I remember seeing flew P51, F86, F100, F4, from then on to now most of you can name the rest so I'll digress.
    God Bless America. HooYah!

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I lived on an operational airbase for a while, they flew A-4s, HS723s, C-130s, Seakings, Seahawks and the occasional F-18, F-111 (Now they sound awesome!) We also had fly in days, where a flock of local restored aircraft would show up. Lockheed Constellation, Neptune, Hudson(Australias biggest restored flying WWII bomber!), C47, Wirraway, Mustang, Mig 15s, Tigermoths, Catalina etc.
    It was great at first but after a few months I wish I had a stinger! 5 or 6 A-4s doing touch and go's at 11pm, helicopters around the clock, those fucking loud dog whistle HS748s all night. Its all a bit much when your barracks are only 100 odd meters off the runway.
    Never thought I would say this, but I do miss it! There is something to be said for having cool metal flying above you regularly.
    Doc.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  13. I was in the Army and worked, as a civilian, for the Air Force for a combined 40 years. Saw a lot of hardware in action. Most memorable, one day at March AFB. It was the mid 70s and the cold war was on. March was a SAC base. And that day, while I was on the flight line, we launched the alert force. Four B52s and four KC135s. As fast as they could power up. The ground shook and the noise was overwhelming. I did not know if it was real or just an exercise. But I did know special ordnance was aboard and combined it was the most impressive demonstration of pure national power I have ever seen.

14. Brings back memories of the Air Force in 63 at Kingsley Field in Spokane every friday at 1700 hrs three F106's would fly over the base and at the flagpole in the center of the base two would split to the side and the guy in the middle would go straight up at full tilt while the National Anthem was played it made a lasting impression on all of us on base and everyone went outside and saluted the flag on Fridays Fly over. The hot jockey in the middle was our test pilot and he also drove one of the first Cobra's put out by Shelby, quite a guy ..... when he got reassigned to another base he was in his Cobra and burned a strip about 1/8 mile on base and past the main gate, we all saluted him that day also....

15. BigChief

BigChief

Well....I bet there are some folks in Europe who don't quite think so! :eek:

16. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

If ya like F-16 fly overs, try living in Colorado Springs. Not only home to the radical Christian right, but also The United States Air Force Academy and multiple surrounding military bases. As cool as they are though, I don't know if a weapon of war and destruction would be the first thing that makes me feel proud to be American.

17. That's the other thing I thought of when they chatted up the game on the news but I thought the game ended a while before I saw them.
    That's pretty funny:D
    For the game and not Obama :p. It was the first game in the new OPEN air stadium. :D

18. :)Probably.
    Not too many of them left to remember it. I heard one older English fellow talking about the 1000 bomber missions. He said it was an amazing sight.
    Streams of 4 engined bombers miles wide and over a 100 miles long. We can only imagine.:eek:

19. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

warbirds are the coolest pieces of machinery out there... i don't think there is any car out there i'd rather have than a mustang, corsair, sabre, f100, f15... or pretty much any other military plane. I think I'd rather have one parked in my driveway and have to pretend to fly it than ever even own a car.

yeah yeah they are instruments of destruction... but if you want to look at it that way, so is my grandfather and I'm damn proud of him too. Come on man they represent our ability to defend ourselves, they are pieces of history, and it doesn't hurt that they're pretty much just hot rods with a LOT more blasting powder

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Hoo-Yah!!!

Attached Files:

21. devilleish

devilleish

My grandfather is a serious wingnut. He grew up on a farm outside Richwood, Ohio in the 40s & 50s. Said he was finishing some chores one day and heard a noise like nothing he'd ever heard before. Looked up and a B-36 was passing lazily overhead at what looked like 300 feet. No idea where it was headed or where it came from, seemed a little low for any of the bases around (closest is Wright-Patterson, I believe). Said that sight has stuck with him to this day. What I wouldn't give... The only one I've ever seen is in a museum.

22. Reminds me of an alleged conversation between German air traffic control and an old pilot having problems finding his gate. When air traffic control asked him with fierce german efficiency "Have you never been here before?!" the pilot replied "Yes in 1944 but it was dark and I didn't land!":)

23. yblock292

yblock292

Thats the other thing that was way kool Saturday at Starliner, it sits right next to McConnell Air Force bases runway , so all day we were watching KC-135's and F-16's coming and going .

24. Abomb

Abomb

You call it what you want, I call it a tool used to make and maintain our (your) freedom.

25. You sir are a tool. Protected by those God fearing pilots.

26. SlamIam

SlamIam

I live close to NAS Lemoore, a training facility and land base for aircrews assigned to four carriers. The Navy keeps keeps things pretty quiet now, but when I was growing up during the Vietnam War the skies were full of F4's, A4's and A7's, many flown by pilots in training. Sonic booms and buzzing the local high school and college campuses were daily occurences. It was an airshow every day. Nothing sounds like a low-flying Phantom going full tilt.

27. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

"...because the president believes in God, like all good soldiers should." -Bad Religion.
    No offense guys, but your preaching to the wrong choir.

28. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

A couple quickies - The first SO-CAL open house ten years ago, Pete arranged to have a fly over. If I remember right it was two P-51D's and a B-25. about five hundred feet up, if that. truely inspiring!!! The other- I was on a boring conference call one after noon about five years ago. Late spring windows open. All of a sudden every wall in my house was vibrating, then trembling, then shaking!!! Someone on the conference call asked what the hell all the noise was - I looked out my window and there were three Apache Attack helicopters hovering at the end of my street! I told every body on the call what was going on and that I would call back in later, and one gal had just enough time to say "Chip what have you done now!!!" Turns out theye were doing practice runs for a Pat Tillman memorial flyby at the Diamond Back stadium down the street. They repeted the same thing several times that day, and once the next. Sat there and watched all afternoon, absolutely awsome!!!! Oh- broke windows in the nieghborhood too!

30. Leadsled RnR

Leadsled RnR
    from CO

...and that would be less materialisitc and more abstract concepts of Americanism. Such "beliefs" (not within historical context, but the true meanings not estranged by the advancement of capitalism) as freedom and equality, diversity, and the exercise of speaking-out in protest. What makes me proud to be an American? The civil rights movement, women's suffrage, true social and humanistic progress. However, yes, it is fact that many times you can see socio-cultural progress form the material culture that society leaves behind. An F-16, C-130, P-51 or B-24 are all examples of technological progress, but they are also examples of how hindered human progress still remains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.