Register now to get rid of these ads!

Getting gas is a pain in my ASS!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by COS, Sep 14, 2009.

1. COS

COS
    from KCMO

What can I do about gas puking out every time I go to fill up?!?!? No matter how slow I pump or how I hold the nozzle it pukes out all over the side of my car... What can I do to fix this PIMA!!!

-COS

2. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

Does it have a vent? What type of tank?

3. THAT answer's sure gonna worth a LOT. Pisses the fuck outta me too. All down the side of my 38, and working the running board rubber's glue:mad:

4. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Please post some photos of your filler neck, tank set up, etc...
    :cool:

5. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Stock tank in 48 chevy 2-dr sedan.. I had to raise the tank 2" straight shot with a 90 bend in to the tank about 8-10" below the fill.... No vent... I assume I need to vent it some how???

6. chevyshack

chevyshack

Sounds like a vent problem. Your vent tube might be plugged up.

7. model-a-fan

model-a-fan
    from Kentucky

I agree, should be a simple fix. The fuel vapors gotta escape somewhere.

8. COS

COS
    from KCMO

No vent just a the stock tube... How would one vent some thing like this??

9. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

+1 on the vent, You can run a vent off the top of the tank. You can drill a hole in the top weld a bung in and put a rollover valve/vent in.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. I disagree, as usual;). The bullshit gas nozzles at the gas station's are supposed to "vent" the fumes back to the source, whether or not YOUR tank has a vent

11. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Well ya but It still makes my socks smell funny... Is there any way to fix this with out welding on my gas tank???

12. brewsir

brewsir

fill it slower? You can hear as it gets near the top (unless there's some riceburner next to ya at the pumps bumping his stereo) Just have to be more gentle I guess. I don't think a vent on the fill tube will help much.

13. I think the new nozzles are NEW car friendly only. What I did/do, is go to different stations in my area, and use different pumps. When I find one that doesn't make me too crazy, I make a mental note of it, and gas up there. Sorry Boss, that's all I got. Also, what I do, is put a stack of THEIR paper towels around the nozzle to act as a bib

14. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

This happened a lot to me in my '63 Electra. I think I could've got it filled up without overflow if the door lid opened to the side and didn't flip up.

With the way it flipped up it was really annoying to stick the nozzle in.

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i know this sounds funny,but on my ot truck,if i run the REALLY cheap brand of gas it backs up every time,but if i use good stuff/higher octane,flows rite in no problem,seems to foam up on the cheap stuff. i can run the cheepie crap cause it's a 4 banger.don't know what type your using,but i'm just sayin

16. chevyshack

chevyshack

My 52 chevy has a stock vent tube. Your 48 dosnt? This might sound stupid but is it full when it over flows or does it do it no matter what? Might be the pump. Try new station. My 2001 dakota just flowed all over the ground last week because i got gas at a differnt station. It didnt shut off.

17. chubbie

chubbie

my '41 stock tank also...i think thats what that squeegee is for?????

18. belair

belair

My 48 does the same thing. I stand back.

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All my old cars, both stockers & rods, have the same problem. I believe the modern gas pumps fill at a much faster rate and volume than the old pumps did. The old tanks just aren't designed to accept gas that quickly.

I've learned to just listen to the gas going in the tank and when I hear the level reaching the filler pipe, I slow it way down.

Now if the #&%! gas stations would just turn the muzak down, I'd be able to hear the fuel delivery better......

20. COS

COS
    from KCMO

Lol I here ya on that one!!

It does it at every pump no matter how I hold it or how fast I put it in it just pikes every where!! Man that sounds dirty!!

At least I am not the only one.. It just sucks because it is a every few day thing...

There has to be someone out there that has a solution to our problem we must find them!!

21. This is truly the only thing I don't enjoy about Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup. There is no vent on the filler neck, and it spits back some no matter what you do. The system was designed for the old time gravity feed gas pumps, and it's very difficult to get the same speed and volume of delivery as an old gravity feed pump using modern pumps. I try not to let my truck get below a quarter tank, because it's a lot worse when it's near empty due to more air in the tank.

22. T2B

T2B
    from san diego

I had a 1963 International Scout model 80. Had a hell of a time fueling that thing and it had two tanks, one on each side. Two things I did:
    1. Redirected the fill tube to get a straighter shot to the tank. It had 90 degree rubber tubes for OEM. A little guess work, stopped by a local muffler shop for some custom bent tubes and then radiator hose and clamps to connect it all. NAPA sells "gas" hose but it was terribly expensive.
    2. Bought a "widget" at a swap meet the slipped on to the nozle and held the bellows exposing the nozzle and making things easier. Bad news is I forget where or what that widget was called.
    Hope this helps or triggers the imagination. Good luck.

23. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"The system was designed for the old time gravity feed gas pumps, and it's very difficult to get the same speed and volume of delivery as an old gravity feed pump using modern pumps."

Gravity pumps might have been used in some of the rural areas and on farms, but electric pumps had been in use for many years by 1938 and a '38 car would have been designed with them in mind. In any event, those pumps didn't pump as much or as fast as today's units.

24. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

You need a vent. Test it buy putting a lengh of gas hose down the fill tube ,hold it up higher that the neck and try to fill if it works you will need to find a way to make it perminent. Newer cars have on built in side just like that.

25. chubbie

chubbie

when i built my model a tank, i put a "bubbler" in the bottom of the filler hose about 2" inside. a piece of maybe?? 2" tubeing when filling and gas gets to the level of the bubbler it kicks the gas pump off. it seems to work good i'm then abel to finish filling the rest of the tank with out "locking" the filler

26. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

27. dolsen37

dolsen37
    from Nebraska

My Dad has his 49 merc vented high up on the filler neck works great.

28. scrape

scrape

does your fill tube have a low spot in it???? your fill tube can't be lower than the hole in the tank or dip down lower than it.... also a vent will help......

29. sololobo

sololobo

This might be a little goofy, but how about one of those tall ass funnels, cut the filler tube to as large an opening as possible and then you can moniter the fill. Keep a large zip lock bag to put it in and use those free paper towels , when they have them, to dry it out b-4 storing it. My 56 Plymouth Suburban has to filled on super slow so I feel your pain. And its not a guess that the new pumps fill super fast, they are way to friggin souped up, which also robs your fuel volume on those rapid fills, warmer the day also robs fuel volume, according to a story I read on the internet, so it has to be true, yeah!! ~Sololobo~

30. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

This is a simple problem. The volume of fuel going in displaces the same volume of air, forcing it out the filler neck. The rush of air out of the tank is picking up fuel coming in and literally blowing it out the neck. Modern pumps do deliver at a much higher rate than in the past. Even vented tanks can have trouble letting the air out if the vent is small. You can either fill very slowly, or arrange a vent that flows enough air. If you don't want to vent to the atmosphere (not EPA or fire hazard freindly), you can vent to the top of the filler neck, above the point where the end of the pump nozzle will be while fueling, but below the filler cap.
    A nice roll-over vent can be found at marine supply stores that wil close when fluid comes up. Boats have the same problem, you know. They use 1/2" to 3/4" vent hose. Most of the vent fittings can be installed without welding if you can reach inside the tank to install the nut and washer. That is usually done through the fuel level sender hole.

Here's a kit used on diesel truck tanks, too. Check you local truck service.
    http://www.glacierdieselpower.com/images/PDFs/03-09-Tank-Vent-Kit.pdf