Register now to get rid of these ads!

? about tranmission out of a merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jmill83, Sep 13, 2009.

1. jmill83

jmill83

Hey guys this is prolly a easy question but i have a 3 speed transmission w/ overdrive is there a kit to convert it to a floor shift instead of a 3 on the tree?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I will try this again. Fat fingers are not good for typing.

There is a Hurst Shift kit that you can get through Napa or any other parts store. I used it to convert my 3 spd OD to a floor shift in my '51 F-1. I think it retails for about $80. The only problem is that the shifter is mounted off to drivers side of the tail shaft, so you may have to "adjust" the hole in your transmission cover to make it work.

4. jmill83

jmill83

hey frozen merc great post thanks for the help.

5. MN Falcon

MN Falcon

Frozenmerc, is the OD in your F1 originally from a car or is it a truck trans? Just trying to learn more :)

6. Was told a few years ago, you can modify a Hurst Indy universal shifter to work on a Ford O/D trans, never got to do it on my 53 Merc. Looked liked you had to shorten the main bracket of the shifter.

7. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I am running a Borg Warner T85 3spd + OD out of a 1965 289 Galaxie. So it is a car trans, but the Borg Warner were the higher strength units. This trans did come from a 4000 lb car. However, I have never really tested it since I still think the warmed up 351W that is in front of it is still a bit much for the trans. This means no 4000 rpm launchs and that sort of thing. But it sure beats the old New Process 435 that was in the truck before for highway cruising.

8. jmill83

jmill83

thanks for the info steve!