Register now to get rid of these ads!

4 5/8 bolt pattern? what? help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sickboy13, Sep 13, 2009.

1. sickboy13

sickboy13

got some Radir wheels with a 5 an 4 5/8 bolt pattern is this metric or whats it fit? any help would be great!

Attached Files:

2. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Are you sure that it is not 5 on 4.5"?? Possibly not taking into account the possible need for the shanked style lugnuts?

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

is that a chinese ruler?

4. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Not measuring them correctly. Usually from center of one hole to far side of another is close. However, they really are measured from centerline of one hole to the arc where the two across from it would center. Measuring the actual 'circle' the holes are on.

5. sickboy13

sickboy13

the 6 inch scale says what it says measuring from the far side to the center of the hole, close yeah but what? i know how to measure these but was looking for more insight. these are the Tri Rib wheels.

6. sickboy13

sickboy13

I tried a gm 4 3/4 rotor so maybe i need to find some thing 4 1/2

7. Try something simple - like draw a 4.5" circle on a sheet of paper, cut it out, lay it over the holes... if it intersects the center of all five holes then it's 5 on 4.5". Try the common patterns...4" small MOPAR, 4.5 Ford//MOPAR, 4.75 small Chevy, 5" big GM.

Charlie

8. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

next time you are at a Swap Meet, spend a couple bucks and buy one of those plastic gizmos to check bolt pattern. Greatest thing since sliced bread. Why is sliced bread so great? I prefer fresh baked myself

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I'd say your ruler is 1/8" off.........

10. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

But that would be wrong since you do not measure the pattern from center to center. You must be the guy that argues with everyone at swapmeets for selling him the wrong wheels.

11. Looks like 4 & 1/2 to me. Slide the ruler to the right about an eighth, like it was a tape measure hooked onto the stud. Now look at the center of the right hole - 4 1/2.
    If it were 4 3/4 , they would never be able to drill a 4 1/2 pattern on that same wheel.

12. run by the local wheel shop and have them measure your wheels. the metric patterns in 5 lug were for front wheel drive cars.

13. skunx1964

skunx1964

this might explain why it seems a lil over 4.5..... what the face look like? beveled for standard style lugs, or flat for mag style with washers?

14. It appears that the center to center distance of those two holes is 4 9/32". If that's true then it's a 4 1/2" bolt circle.....later Ford and Mopar.

FoMoCoPower.....Charlie Chops 1940 had it right.

15. monsterflake

monsterflake

nah, bolt cirlces are measured on "center". most people don't have calibrated eyeballs, so they get it wrong...

16. Center of bolt hole to center of bolt hole...on the holes that you have your ruller on...

17. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Take wheel off of a Chevy, see it your wheel fits.

18. Here, if you look at the first pic, the hole looks like almost 5/8" or the same as 10/16", O.K so far, the stud going through will only be a 7/16" stud, so who ever mentioned the "shanked" lug nuts is correct and that would make the pattern 5 by 4 1/2". In actuality, you should be measuring the spindle "studs" not the wheel bolt holes, to account for "shanked lug nuts", and you measure from the edge of the first stud to the center line of the opposite stud. 5 by 4 and 1/2"

19. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

Damn...I would hate for someone to ask who shot Kennedy on this board.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  20. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

Looks like 4 1/2" bolt circle.

21. ShelbyStang

ShelbyStang

Looking at the way you measured and moving the ruler in my mind, definitely a 5x4.5

never was a 5x4 5/8..

22. silent rick

silent rick

correct answer in the very first reply

23. skwurl

skwurl

I think its a 6 lug. I may be a little off though.:D

24. INsane1, with the cute little diagrams you have, then its PROVEN WITHOUT A SHADOW OF A DOUBT, its a a 4 and 5/8" bolt circle , DOES THAT SOUND RIGHT, I dont think so, read my post again please, or do my parents need thier tuition money back for sending me to college for engineering. I am one of the friendly guy's here, and I am sure you are one cool cat too, and I am not getting into a dick slapping fight with you brother, those cute little pictures are for the guys in the tire store. Its a 4 and 1/2" bolt circle, now lets all have a cold one!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  25. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

That 5 lug method won't work if the holes are oversize for shank lug nuts, as the first reply mentioned.

26. Thanks relic, I'll take a Heineken:D

27. sickboy13

sickboy13

they're 4.5, thanks all. can we get rid of this thread now! lock it or delete it please!

28. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

Bolt patterns are measured from a center point, the arc that the five divisions intersect at that radius is the bolt circle. As mentioned earlier in this thread draw a 4.5, 4.75, or even a 5. dia from a center point, trim your template so that it fits the boss of your wheel, the arc that intersects the center of your bolt holes is the dia. of the bolt circle. pretty simple......:D

29. Mart

Mart

The measuring from the outer edge of one hole to the centre of the "opposite" hole works well enough if the hole diameter is not too big. Because the holes are bigger than a steel wheel - look like 5/8" then there is an error creeping in that needs to be allowed for - they are 99.9% sure 4.5" pcd.
    Imagine if the holes were 1" diameter. Your measurement would be bigger still but the pcd would still be the same.

30. skunx1964

skunx1964

ive never understood why all the measurements werent center to center........:confused::confused: