Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats a good pintripe brush???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by codyodyoh, Sep 13, 2009.

1. codyodyoh

codyodyoh

hey guys i was looking to start dabbling in some pinstriping and i was looking for some brushes and stuff i was just wondering what kind of brushes you would recommend or who makes the best one and were a good place to look for a starter kit would be....thanks for your time

2. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

THey have some nice starter kits at Jegs.

3. inkmunky

inkmunky

Summit sells em too. Brushes, paint, reducer, video, and practice board

Kafka makes a starter kit with his signature brushes i think that might be what summit sells.

Im practicing with a dc flatliner

4. 00 Mack, eBay for less than $10

5. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Go get a Mack 00 green wrap from the auto parts store, a can of mineral spirits from Home depot and whatever color 1 shot ya like and your all set ..DONE DEAL

6. chaddilac

chaddilac

what 00 Mack said!!

7. pdc

pdc

I started about a year ago. I visited a local pinstriper, he helped me out a lot. I f you have one around I suggest go visit and ask all kinds of guestions, if they are willing to help. I personally use a "Fast lite" "0", its not a "Mack" brush. He told me that Mack brushes weren't the best ones. He has been in the business for 20 to 30 years so I know he is telling the truth or personal preference. Next I use a clear plastic clipboard with graph paper taped on the back sides for guide lines. Mix paint in NON WAX paper cups. Also pallet the paint on "slick" paper. Hope this helps

8. inkmunky

inkmunky

I've heard that the mineral spirits will dull the paint while turpentine will keep some more of the sheen. Or is that a bunch of bullshit?

9. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Mack 10 or 20, Kafka all work. Use 1shot reducer for best results. Get a piece of glass and put a design behind it to practice on. The 10,000 right & left curves, straight lines etc learning method works wonders. A magazine works well to pallet on. Rayco sign supply has a good stock of brushes and paints. http://estore.websitepros.com/1262528/Categories.bok?category=Brushes:Stripers

10. shoebox barnes

shoebox barnes
    from Minnesota

i use Mack brushes and 1 shot paint and reducer works good, and i trim the brush down till i like the way it paints. Trim very little at a time so you dont take to much off, i take some off the sides and some out of the belly.

11. elrobo818

elrobo818

make sure ya learn how to clean the brushes up well...

i ruined about 4 of em before i figured it out...

theres a nice thread under the techs archive about it.

do your research!

12. Definetly take GOOD care of the brushes you use. No matter what brand name you use. The striper who helped me out uses "neatsfoot" oil to help keep his brushes nice. And some of his lettering quills were over 20 years old and still looked new.

13. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

I perfer the Xcaliber brushes......I could never get the original Mack brushes to work right for me, the hairs are too long. Just my opinion.

14. DBAG

DBAG

I messed around with some striping for a bit, the 00 and 000 brushes seem to put down the best lines. Starter kits are good for variety, but it seems mostly everyone I know sticks to these two brush sizes to save you some money. My hands are too deep in to other stuff now, I just have my buddy one arm, or Ace do my striping nowadays!!
    Good luck!
    DBAG

15. KCsledz

KCsledz

got a mack 00 to start and added brushes from there. now I have a bunch of sizes of mack's and an excalliber. I use the Excalliber conditioning fluid instead of Neetsfoot oil and it works nicely.

Having said that i have not pinstriped anything in 3 years and just checked my brushes and they are as good as new.

16. publicenemy1925

publicenemy1925
    from OKC, OK

17. BISHOP

BISHOP

I like the X-caliber brushes. The best brush Ive ever used.

I like the House of Kolor products better than oil based stuff too.

18. FATT STRIPES

FATT STRIPES

PINSTRIPERDEPOT.COM , like elrobo818 said, do the research.if you dont buy any other books make sure you get How to Pinstripe by Alan Johnson. there are several good youtube videos and sites that will point you in the right direction as well. good luck and stick w/ it

19. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Mineral Spirits is fine . It should be a while before your striping anything painted anyway.....Always stir your paint.

20. Old61

Old61
    from PA

Baby oil does fine for storing your brushes. Just clean it in mineral spirits before use. The purpose is to keep any paint left in it from drying. Also after dipping in the baby oil run the brush between your fingers to shape it.

21. Stay away from Pinstriping! It will rule and ruin your life, haunt you forever...

Joel

p.s. Get the 000 Mack 10 with the blue ferrle, thin with gum turpentine, clean and prep suface, be patient, practice, practice, practice, experiment, once you get used to pulling lines, it's all about design, design, design, and then, practice, practice, practice!