Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Classic cars in far away lands

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kwoodyh, Sep 13, 2009.

1. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Found this 55 Chevrolet Ragtop in Baghdad the other day! Anyone else seen any classic cars in places you never expect? I was also over here in 06 and during the election saw a green 57 more door hardtop chevy cruise through Adnon Square, which is just SW of Sadr City and still not a very nice place to visit! :eek:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  2. oz40

oz40

G'day Mate
    Make sure you bag that one and take it home with you.
    But more importantly, take care and return home to loved ones safe and sound.
    oz40 (Tom)

3. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Forgot to mention it's for sale $10,000 shipping not included! I'd buy it but i'd also have to hire 4 Ugandan's with automatic rifles and weld on some Hillbilly Armor to guard against IEDs and direct fire attacks on the MSRs! I've heard stories and seen a picture of the old Ford Dealership with a bunch of T's and Model A's parked out front in central Baghdad! The plates are from the Basrah area of southern Iraq.

4. mikaelmtb

mikaelmtb
    from Denmark

I saw these in Bangkok about two months ago, not a normal sight there I gues... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mikael

5. Once, in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, I came across a red/white '56 Chevy 4-dr sedan, looked really nice from the highway, too. One day, we make a little detour to see the car. The owner, who ran a gas station, let us look and take pics of it. This was in 1987 or so.

Another car I saw in Riyadh was inside a showroom. It was a '53 Buick Roadmaster. Black with gray interior, all stock. We took a peek at it, as well. Same time frame.

I knew of a '70 Challenger 440+6 hardtop in Dhahran, SA back around 1993 or so. It was a Sassy Grass Green car with four-speed and a black interior. I'd be curious where that car ended up!

Around Riyadh, it was not uncommon to see older Chevy pickups from '64 - '66 around, though that was maybe 15 years ago or so.

In Konya, Turkey, there was a carpet store owner that was a big American car fan! He had a '58 Ford retractable that he said was imported to Turkey in 1961 by a USAF officer and sold to his dad, and he then inherited it in the early '70s. He also had a '63 Impala ragtop (283 2-bbl), and a 1963 Ford Galaxie ragtop with a 390. All were painted red, with white tops and interiors. This was around 1991.

6. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Thanks Tom, my buddy (Major John Liddy) is the XO at the ADF Parachute school right now! Not many Aussies running around here now, but you have a fine Military that carried way more than your share in Vietnam, Afghanastan and Iraq! Thank all of them for me for their service!

7. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

The Saudi's still love the big Caprice but most i've seen were badged as Impalas (91-96 models). Old Chevy trucks still do a ton of work here and every once in a while you will see an old Dodge truck badged as a De Soto or Fargo (Canada?), i'll try to get a picture of one of those next! Freaky to see a mid 70's early 80's De Soto truck!:eek: