Register now to get rid of these ads!

FNG has questions!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by calicruiser, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Hi fellas, alittle background on myself to start since this is my first post. I (help) build custom bikes for a living at a shop called G&L Choppers here in Colorado Springs. We take beat up old Jap bikes and transform them into clean and cool chops. I have been doing it for 3 years now. I built myself a bike over the course of 2 years, finished it in April, and have another in the works. Now onto my questions . . .

I am looking for a cool old car to use as a driver when I need it. I like the look of a tradition hotrod, 40's-50's. The wife and I have a new SUV (gasp) and I have my bike of course. A cool old car would be nice to have to bum around in. Problem is, I have no idea on what is good or not. I am not a car guy by any means. I came across some CL ads tonight, I just dont know if they are worth it or not. I need to be able to drive it now and I can slowly get it to where I want as money and time permit.

Anyway, please take a look and give me your honest opinions on these. I appreciate your help and it is cool to be on here! thanks

josh

http://albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/1342482360.html
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1323327039.html
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1369585505.html
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1359094813.html
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1348966805.html
    http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/1328459888.html

2. they all look like good deals..but , to be honest , the last one doesn't do anything for me

which one turns you on?

3. wvenfield

wvenfield

You can never go wrong with a 54 Chevy. I wish the 66 Corvair was closer. Looks like a very good buy.

The 67 caprice was make a really good clown car.

4. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Welcome. I would say the 54 Ford for the price. I would stay away from anything with multiple carbs for a daily driver. Now with saying that - I would expect to be doing some work with any of those cars. Good Luck

5. Xdrag48

Xdrag48

I like the first two. But you need to buy what you like.It is all in what you want. If they are local for you take a friend along that knows something about cars with you.....

Good luck,
    Steve

6. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I'm a ford guy, so normally I would say jump on the ford, but seeing you want something to run around with, Id say pay up for that 54 chevy..reasons being, rebuilt motor, 6 cylinder will be decent on gas, most of the body work was done, and they are a popular body style ,when boils down to finding parts, and resale.. plus they got That look..

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

The '54 Chevy, but I never trust stuff in primer.

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

The 54 Ford, 54 Chevrolet or 50 Dodge would all do you well.

9. damn! thanks for the quick responses guys! I know that some work will be involved with any old car (just like bikes) and I am willing to do that. The "look/stance/style" of the 54 Chevy is what I dig. I went to Carnage on Larimer today up in Denver and had a woody the entire time! Thanks again fellas, i do appreciate your input!

josh

10. "BAD NEWS"

"BAD NEWS"
    from dallas tx

i would go for the 54 chevy. i would also take someone with you thats what i do no matter what 2 heads are allways better. good luck!!!

11. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

I'm biased, but I think that '54 Chevy is the best car of the lot. Maybe not the best deal, but great cars. The Corvair is a great buy. Buy what you like, drive it and love it.

12. BigVinDaddyMac

BigVinDaddyMac

That's it...gently steer him away from the clown car. No clown would be selling it if it were any good.

13. Spooky

Spooky

Howza Brutha-

The Chev looks really nice albeit I am weary of primer as well.

Either of the Corvairs are really nice. Being in Cow Town, I'd stay with a hardtop and not a convertible.

Been there, done that.

The '54 is interesting, but it is a fordoor and it probably has the 239 Y-Block which is fair in my Y-Blocked mind.

Keep us posted..

14. 343w

343w

From the stand point of the Hamb, the two 54's look the best. I would choose the Chevy if it were me, based on the fact that you have little knowledge with cars, most of the wrenching has been done, and the price is ok. Also the value will go up as well as the demand for that one. Good luck and happy motoring!

15. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

last one looks like a rainbow under the hood.

il go with the 50 dodge or 54 chevy

i think you would like to add a truck to the edition tho...suv and bikes, no trucks tho.
    i like the 58-59 chevy apache
    1948-52 ford trucks 57 chevy trucks...

16. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

the 54 chevy, stay away from the 4 doors, you won't be taken serious, will look like a new guy. unless its chopped and kool. send me your e-mail. i know where there is a bad ass ride you will love.

17. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

not all 4 doors are whack, cars with suicide doors are sick...like the 1949-1951 mercury. or late 30's early 40s with 4 doors.

18. skwurl

skwurl

19. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I`d say the 54 Chev, but I`m a Chevy guy. Definately take another set of eyes or 2 with you, and look it over real good. Take a magnet also, ask lots of questions of the seller. I am always suspicious of cars other people have built. Buy what you like, and can afford.

20. You said you're not a car guy - I am not sure to what extent though.

You have a very broad selections of cars here. I would suggest that you hang out here, check some mags, or visit some car shows to try to pin point your likes / interests. Last thing you wanna do is just jump into a car and soon find out it wasn't right for you or get the "oh, I wish I woulda got one of those" thoughts.

I would also recommend staying away from the Corvairs. They are a different breed and can be very demanding sometimes. Unless you know them or know someone who knows them they probably might be a bad first choice for an older car. Just my thoughts though.

Personally I like the looks of the '54 Chev over the Ford.

Good luck.

21. belair

belair

I like the 54 chevy and the Corvair. But I would wonder how well the Corvair heater would work in the winter. And, as was said, they are their own animal, and don't fit as well into the "traditional" thing as well as the Chevy Dodge and Ford. I would strongly recommend a 2 door car. They are worth more and more popular, period. I have a 56 4door hardtop, so save the hate. If you have kids, need a more practical ride, 4 doors meet that need. But at the end of the rainbow, most of us say "it's a nice car...too bad it's not a 2 door". The 54 is head and shoulders above the othe choices you gave us. BUT-as was said, primer hides a multitude of sins. Crawl all over and UNDER whaterver you buy, and bring a car guy with you. Don't be afraid to spend more up front to get a better car. Good luck.

22. I am beginning to understand the spend more upfront to get a better car thing. I dont have the means to fabricate or do a lot of body work on a car at this point. Bikes are no problem but a car is a whole different animal! I have been seeing some nice "finished" cars for about 2K more than the 54 chev I listed. I would spend that alone in a paint job or more. thanks again for all the advice! This forum is cool as hell!

josh

23. Spity

Spity

Steer away from 4 doors unless you have kids, they are hard to sell later on. Corvairs are money pits, you could sink alot of money in them and they arent worth 1/2 to 2/3s that. However a Corvair is a much better value than just about any other collector car. When it comes down to it; buy what gets you excited, or keeps you up at night waiting to call owner.

24. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

i like the 54 cebby ..235 inline six dual carbs fenton manf.......but thats just me

25. Big Mac

Big Mac
    1. Utah HAMBers

BTW, if you're buying a car that you like and your buying it for the right price, who cares how many doors it has? 2 doors are more desirable, sure, but you're not buying an investment, you want something cool to drive, right? Don't be so freaked out about 4 doors. They can be cool. And anyone that's going to label you a newb or not take you serious because you have a 4 door is an idiot anyway. Don't make the mistake of trying to buy something that fits into other peoples realm of "acceptable". Pick what YOU like, make it cool (which I'm sure you can customize a few things since you're a bike builder), and drive the hell out of it. THAT'S what makes cars fun.

26. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

I'd spring for the '54 Ford, I think. That '66 Corvair looks pretty sweet though.

27. PinHead

PinHead

I guess it depends on much much of your own money you plan on sinking into it. If you want something to just drive as-is, either of those corvairs is a pretty darn good deal. I also second what most have said about the 2-door 4-door thing; don't get it unless you really, really like it, cause you'll never get as much out of it as a 2-door, and it'll be harder to get rid of in general.

The primered cars are a bit worrisome. I assume that you know at least one guy who's well versed in bodywork; by all means, try and get him to come with you, he'll know what to look for as far as problem areas. Nothing tworse than spending good money on a rusty bondo bucket, all hidden by primer.

28. I'd personally save some cash, and wait 'till you find a car that you just have to have. With winter coming, there should be some deals out there. What you said is more than true, the nicer the car to start with, the nicer the finished product. There are exceptions to that rule if you're a fantastic metal and body man.

Good luck finding a car man!

29. crackerass54

crackerass54
    from dallas

Buy whatever flips your switch buddy, I'm partial to 54 chevy's, but don't like two doors, it's going to be your car so get what you like, I do hope that you have good knowledge of cars, any old car you get WILL have some kind of issues some where down the road, the cool thing about an old car is most problems that put you on the side of the road can be repaired in just a few minutes, I hope you get one buddy you'll never go back.