Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ot ww 2 planes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cheap-n-dirty, Jun 26, 2009.

1. yblock292

yblock292

End of WW2 my dad who was a recon pilot flying L3's during the war bought a surplus AT-6 for $750 , stripped the paint polished it and flew it in Air shows for $50 a pop. Only have one picture of it, sold it just before i was born in 51. Still have all the original paper work and the original bill of sale, have tried to locate the aircraft but no luck

2. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

The twin nacelle that was nearly extinct MIGHT be the P-61. There are none in flying condition, and about three left in the US. Have read of rumors of one or two left in China. There is an outfit in PA that is restoring a P-61 to fly again, I think it is the mid-american air museum, or something like that. Might MAAM.(come, net, org, etc).

3. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

FIFI

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BAIKOPsQ82E&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BAIKOPsQ82E&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  4. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Is FIFI for static display only?I ask this as there appears to be a few bits missing!I hope that she is destined to return to the flight.

Nick.

5. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

6. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

And a lot of them made it from drawing board to prototype in the air in less than 6 mo, one of two in 30 days. Like the man said no computer. A K&E log-log slide rule istead!!

7. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

8. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

I'm hopefully going to Duxford again next month for the Autumn Air show, which is the last one of the season.I can't get enough of all the Aircraft that they have there, I'll post some pictures on this thread if I go.

Nick.

9. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

About a year ago I was looking for someone local to cut some glass for the 40 coupe. I was told about a guy about two miles from me that dose quality work out of his home shop. So I give him a call and he agrees to do it and gives me directions to his place.
    He tells me to turn left at the privet road with his name on the mail box and that I will see his building with the B17 tail section sitting outside.
    Now im real stoked because I dig this stuff. Anyways I get there and we get talking and I realize, this is the guy iv read about for years and seen TV shows about.
    Gary Larkins, responsible for recovering more war birds around the world than anybody else ever. Man! Talk about story&#8217;s, I was there all ears for about 4 hours.
    But the coolest thing was in the shop. Henry Kysers original hydro from the late 40&#8217;s that runs a 24 cylinder Allison. He is doing a full restoration on the boat.
    For me it was one of the best days ever.
    If anybody local wants to get some great glass work and get your mind blown I will PM you his number.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  10. They are working on new hybrid engines in order to gain some reliability and a way longer overhaul time. Basically using all the best bits available as the original engines were never all that; even when they were new, they were dogged with unreliability.

More here...
    http://warbirdinformationexchange.o...?t=24935&sid=c95fd27e0f7faccf86541b7bbdc4748f

11. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

12. They are the hotrods of the sky....My buddy loves those things like I love cars. He is a ww2 buff and could tell you the make and specs of every plane of that era.

13. Here I am holding up a P-47N's R-2800 built by Chevrolet.
    [​IMG]

My 1949 Globe/Temco Swift getting a pass by a P-51D at Propwash 16X.
    [​IMG]

I'm "Rogue" on the WIX board.
    http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB2/index.php
    Its the HAMB for Warbirds!

If you want info on surviving aircraft types....
    http://www.warbirdregistry.org/

and for info on a plane if you have the Serial/Bureau number.....
    http://home.att.net/~jbaugher/

Here you go NorthEastMetal, what was your uncles name?
    44-13404 (359th FG, 368th FS) lost Sep 12, 1944. MACR 8650
    [​IMG]

14. slick39

slick39
    from dallas ,ga

thanks for the pic of the old war birds...... their is truly some history in those old images

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

[​IMG]

The P&W R-2800 was by almost all accounts the best radial engine of WW2 once it was fully devoloped.Very powerful,smooth and as important,able to take abusive punishment.Many true stories of R-2800's with a cylinder or two completely shot away and the engine continued to run and get the pilot home.That engine in the P-47 Thunderbolt was one tough mother fucker in combat.Photos of P-47 that flew into trees,cut power poles in half,absorbed 100's of rounds of small arms fire and continued to fly.Not the most agile aircraft but very fast at high altitudes and in a dive.The later P-47N was the fastest piston engine plane,507 mph in level flight.The P-47 carried 8 50 cal guns,more than any other US fighter.

16. 18 minus 2 doesn't sound too bad as long as its still reciprocating. ;)

still better than 12 plus Glycol. :D

J/K......I love them all!

17. ryno

ryno

you need to go to the flight museum at love feild, and meet charles morhle. he is one of very few p-47 fighter pilots alive. the stories he tells are amazing, he inspired me to get a tattoo of his plane "the touch of texas" on my leg.

18. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

p47 is the hands down ass kickinest mfer there was.razorback versions were almost indestructable, plus 2800 turbocharged methanol injected made it a true hotrod.dont forget 8 50cal nazi killers to boot

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

20. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

21. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

Attached Files:

22. mastadon

mastadon

Glad to see FI FI back in the air.My dad was a tail gunner and a rt gunner on the 29 during the Korean War,he would tell me stories of having to kick bombs loose in the bomb bay that didnt release on there run.Hope it will be in Houston next month at the air show.

23. billys54

billys54

24. Great photos! My dad was a P-38 pilot in WWII. Stationed in the Pacific with the 475th Fighter Squadron. He had some great stories! One time he had a landing gear collapse on take off and skidded into the jungle - lucky for him he could walk away from it. A total loss. He worried the Air Corps would make him pay for the plane! Wish he were still here for a ride in the roadster! We miss ya dad!

25. Marines.jpg

P51.jpg

This P 51 had 26 Nazi kills. We were told the plane has a lot of history.

SCMHC.jpg

Stearman.jpg

Here are a few that were at our fly in in SC a few weeks ago.

Attached Files:

• C47.jpg
      C47.jpg
      File size:
      9.7 KB
      Views:
  26. Locomotive Breath

Locomotive Breath
    from Texas

27. patina steve

patina steve

I was lucky enought to get to play when they can't to town..............

Attached Files:

28. Ramblur

Ramblur

29. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

i just took this picture this weekend!

[​IMG]