Register now to get rid of these ads!

3 speed problems no nuetral

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by archied1067, Sep 7, 2009.

1. budd

budd

well it might be that the shift leaver is a little loose and dropping down when you are adjusting the arms underneath, if the trans goes into neutral without the linkage hooked up it will after it is, maybe use something to hold the lever up while your under there adjusting the linkage.

2. do you have a issue with rust? the body could be shifted just enough to mis-align the linkage. it sounds like a wear issue with linkage.

3. archied1067

archied1067

maybe i thought of that the eye hole on the linkage to the trans does look like it has wear. how do i fithat or can i make a new one or i could weld it up and redrill it ..

4. budd

budd

it would really have to be worn not to find neutral, it would help if you could post some nice clear pics of the whole setup.

5. hotrodjeep

hotrodjeep
    from Tama, Iowa

I had a similar problems on my truck when I switched back to colum shift from
    the shittily installed floor shifter. I spent 3 hours bending and adjusting linkage,
    and it still aint quite right. That linkage is a bitch. Just take your time and you'll find
    the problem.
    I had trouble with the shifter on the column wanting to fall while
    I was uder the truck getting the Linkage just right. Try wiring or taping the Shifter
    to the steering wheel wile your adjusting the linkage rods.

Good Luck

Jeff

6. archied1067

archied1067

lol that s what ive been doing to get it adjusted. ill post pics, i was thinking of going with a hurst floor shifter master shift 3 speed . just need to find one for my tranny......:Dthanks again everyone:D

7. archied1067

archied1067

fix it the rods were to long i bent them then test fitted it then bent it some more. drove it around the block hitting each gear. thanks guys.