Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to get rid of surface rust?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacerRick, Sep 8, 2009.

1. RacerRick

RacerRick

What is the best way to get of surface rust? My 55' has a bunch of it under a bad paint job and I don't know the best way to deal with it.

I am going to sand the entire car down to bare metal, but there is still some pits with rust in them - how do you guys get rid of this?

2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Good old fashioned metal prep

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

if it's pitted real bad I treat it with OSPHO after I get as much down as I can.

4. RacerRick

RacerRick

Its pitted pretty bad in spots. What is OSPHO?

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

It's a metal treatment.

"When applied to rusted surfaces, it resists/retards rust in chemical change on drying to a tough, hard surface ready for priming. A paint job will last longer after an application of OSPHO because subsequent paint coating securely attaches itself so that moisture and oxygen normally do not attack the metal. OSPHO is water-thin, can cover a larger area than paint, and goes on easily. It is equally effective for exterior and interior work alike. SKYCO OSPHO: a balanced formula of Phosphoric, Dichromate, Wetting Agents and Extenders . . . compounded exclusively by the Skybryte Company since 1947 ... recommended by paint manufacturers."

http://www.ospho.com/

6. Ospho is the shit.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I know there is a generic version that I got at Agri Supply called "The Right Stuff", but most paint supply houses here carry OSHPO

8. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I use OSPHO and haven't had any problems with rust come back. Use solvent proof gloves. I apply it with scotch brite and wipe off the excess with a clean rag. It will cause lumpy surface if left to dry without wiping off the extra and smoothing it out when it is still wet. I have some parts that have nothing but OSPHO on them, bare metal and haven't rusted in over a year.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

get the whole thing blasted. I wouldn't trust any chemicals.

where's Pimpin paint? he seems to be up on all this stuff.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

so what you're saying is you don't know. well here's your education. OSPHO works. Has been working for a long time. When you have a few areas that need a little help to make sure the rust is gone it's the deal. Wire brush the area real good and OSPHO it.

No need to trust Epoxy PRimer to seal it's just a chemical. OR hell paint is just a chemical...

11. RacerRick

RacerRick

I will have to see if I can find OSPHO around here. I have never seen it before.

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

so what you're saying is you don't know.

well what I do know is that clean bare metal is the best way to start any paint job on an old car. give me a nice blasted surface any day. there is always a chance of failure where chemicals are involved.

I saw a very nice 59 Impala over the weekend. show quality paint. behind the door was some sort of failure in the paint. it was about a foot long where the paint was beginning to bubble. don't know what the problem was, but I can tell you for sure it was not failing because the metal was too clean.

No need to trust Epoxy PRimer to seal it's just a chemical. OR hell paint is just a chemical...

another idiot comment from zman.

13. 53choptop

53choptop

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

and that is just what OSHPO gives you, clean metal. Like I said you didn't know. You jumped the gun. There are plenty of people that have used OSPHO on here, it's come up a few times. The shit works.

well you're the one that said you don't trust chemicals. so really you made the idiotic comment to use your own words.

15. 53choptop

53choptop

Been a loyal Ospho user since '96...(they use to sell it in convenient spray bottles back then).

Boy did I love to use filler.

And yes I used ospho on the metal and it ran on to the bondo. Well guess what, bondo does not like ospho, if you ignore that fact, this is where bad body work begins.

I had to clean the osho off and sand down the bondo and start over again.

Live and learn.

Attached Files:

16. superjunkman

superjunkman
    from Austin, TX

Ospho +10. It's good enough for shipyards.

You could also sell your old surface to the R.R. crowd.

17. testpilot

testpilot
    from Denver

i am trying naval jelly and covering it with a plastic bag ... will it hurt anything to leave it overnight ....

also has anyone tried rust-b-gone

18. I wonder if that was from being chemically stripped, such as Redi-Strip. Was the paint failure occuring at a seam?

19. odins701

odins701

My old man has been a motor head since his high school days of building T Buckets to GM dealership mechanic to full GMC Motorhome restorations (his shop for the past 35 years or so) all the while building and racing hot rods, stock cars, dirt bikes (wich amazingly he still does) and ect, introduced me to ospho 20 or so years ago. works really great!

20. havi

havi

What about picklex 20? Same/similar stuff?