Register now to get rid of these ads!

electric drill and broken bones

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flop, Sep 10, 2009.

1. If you've never had GOOD Mexican food, you might just think that what you're eating is good.
    However, a lot of Mexicans in your area do NOT equal a lot of good Mexican restaurants - see Elgin, IL.

I wanna see pics of a 200# ceiling fan. Anyone with me on this??

Cosmo

2. time_xx

time_xx

I'm sorry, but I just can't picture that without laughing. I've had a torn rotator so I know.

3. Pir8Darryl

Pir8Darryl

4. LOL,,,seems like this problem has been around a while. I know for sure it goes back to 1953. My older brother Travis was using a 3/4 inch drill to drill a hole in the front bumper of his VW to bolt on a tow bar when the bit stuck. It immediately twisted around, crossing his arms, and broke both of them. OUCH...........now that hurt. At least he SCREAMED that it did.

5. InPrimer

InPrimer

My old man gave me his 1/2 Sears cast alum case drill. It has a "D" handle and also a1/2" pipe at the top. Max speed is 350 RPM it will not stall, but it will make your arms twist like a pretzel. I respect it LOL but hardly use it any more. Learned my lesson without breaking a bone.

6. Milwaukee Magnum Hole Shooter. My wrists hurt thinking of that fucker catching.

7. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

I shoot .22 target pistols.......low velocity Eley rounds.....they still hurt though......this incident happened and few years ago. Luckly. the bullet entered my leg and only went in as far as the bone.

Tool safety, gun safety....... you say tomatoe, I say tamahto...

Just be careful out there.

8. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Nothing's more fun than a half inch drill and a 4" hole saw!! :eek:

9. Magic

Magic

A couple vicodine, a shot of tequilla, and a little duct tape, and that will buff right out.

10. Steelsmith

Steelsmith

Gear reduction Milwaukee 'Hole-hawg', It might turn 50 RPM's will do serious damage! You want a long cheater on that one, braced against a wall or something that ain't movin'!

Dan Stevens
    dba, Steelsmith

11. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Black n decker 1/2 drill. I learned early that sucker has alot of grunt. I was enlarging a hole in an intake for a friend when the bit went through the manifold and into my leg.( I know, saftey third) It wound up the levis and made a real nice owiee. I wanted to puke, but was too busy being embarassed and trying to get that sucker un spun to worry about much else. I still get laughs about that one.
    200 lb cieiing fan,,,Thats priceless.

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

OT a little, but have you ever had them put a pin in a broken bone. I did and the docter grabbed a Dotco air drill, drug a red rubber hose across the floor and drilled a hole in me. You would have thought he was drilling out rivits. Them he just left the drill bit in my finger. Broke it off about 1/2 inch out and bent it over and put an aluminum splint on the finger. Seemed really crude at the time but the finger is fine if kind of flattened out today.

13. MGGeerJr

MGGeerJr

Way back in high school my shop teacher had a piece of metal in a vice and was drilling it out with a 1/2 drill. The poor bastard got his tie wrapped around the bit and pulled his head right down to drill before he could let go if the trigger. He was really lucky he didn't get hurt.

14. 61bone

61bone

My 1/2" Sioux hangs on the wall with the switch unwired so no one can use it. It killed a lot of cowboys or at least made them think that death was preferable to being wound up in it. Brother chained the reaction bar to the hitch on the pickup while drilling a 1 1/4" hole. Dam near ran him over when it caught.

15. skunx1964

skunx1964

ive used lots of em in the years of new construction plumbing. seen NFGs get tossed off ladders and across the floor. the funniest was the kid i had workin with me who was mixin concrete in a 5 gallon bucket with on of the bug dewalt 90 degree ones. he had the speed setting on the slow speed and when it bit the thick unmixed shit at the bottom it spun the bucket around between his knees, smackin him with the bucket handle each go-round, haha. gotta have finnesse with those things. i have a miliwalkee 1/2 magnum hand drill that i dread havin to use also, it always bites when breakin thru the metal. and its not the biting thats the prob, its the fact that the motor freewheels for so long . ive twisted my wrist pretty bad with it. hate that thing......

16. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

My pop always tells the story of when they were kids my uncle got his shirt caught in a 1/2 inch drill and it tore it off and threw him to the ground. Hope your hand feels better.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

used to do construction. seems like every other day we had to drill a 3/4 hole in a piece of 1/2 thick steel. many times overhead. I learned real quick to hang on to the side handle real good or brace it against something.

tweaked my wrist on more than one occasion before I got smart.

got to love Milwakee drills.

18. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I feel for you man as I guess I've probably had all of the above happen except the 200# ceiling fan. That's downright funny as hell. Another one that's funny as hell is the time my huge 11" grinder I use to polish aluminum got caught in the towel I had on the table. It damn near beat me to death before I could get away from it. I had bruises from that damn huge beach towel. I learned to not put a towel under my work. Steven.

19. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

thats got a cord holmes...

i'm REAL familiar with one of those... i was REAL glad mine has the detachable cord :eek:

20. brandon

brandon

hate those things.... had one about fold my thumb back to my wrist. talk about almost pukin'

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

got one of those Milwaukee killers..dam things need a brake or something.
    whenever we use it around here we buck it with a long pipe into something that wont move..or we dont use it

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Years ago when I lived in Texas my buddy down the street calls me and says come over an give me a hand for a minute.

When I got there he says here hold this cord with one side of the plug in in each hand and if it looks like it is starting to bind up on me pull them apart. We made it through drilling several holes with one of those arm breakers and I only had to pull the plugs apart once. It's something that I have remembered for the past 35 years though and have had someone else do it more than once when I dug my old half inch Rockwell out.

23. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I have a rule on Mexican food- never eat it east of New Mexico, or north of Denver. Just one of the handy rules I live by! I'm still wiping the slight beginnings of tears from th corners of my eyes just picturing the 200# ceiling fan. I hopr you had some friends present so the moment could be used apropriately in the future. Many years ago Elpollacko was working for another hot rod shop here in town, and I came in after work to help with a project. As we walk out to grab some dinner before working, I asked one of the other guys if we could bring something back for him. He was drilling out the rear shackle mounts under the fenders of a '53-'56 F100 with the shops big old aluminum case half inch drill. No - we take off. Half hour later we walk in to an intense buzzing sound, and a faint "help - guys?". There he is completely wrapped up in the fender, hand wedged against the leaf spring so he couldn't release the trigger! I won't mention his name because he might be on the board, protecting the guilty etc. etc. The other time was in my shop, drilling out the boxing plates for the rear leafs on my Plymouth. Nothing clamped to the table,(of course) here it comes, wait for it, OH - there it is! Left hand completely wasted hamburger! So what does this genius do next? Ya, looses temper and punches safety off switch with right fist, breaking most knuckles in the process!!! Do I have respect for larger power tools these days? Ya sure you betcha...

24. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Man the thumb folding backwards thing happened to me, except with a upright bandsaw, was working at a big aircraft manufacturer long bch cali, needed to trim up one of my steel bucking bars, for the solid rivets I had to shoot inside a wing, well the jackass that used the bandsaw before me, managed to wipe some of the teeth completely out on the band, when you do that, you are supposed to replace the band immediately,
    I switch the machine on, slowly push the steel bucking bar into the bandsaw to trim the end, soon as it hits the spot where the teeth are wiped out BAM, catches the steel bar, kicks it straight back, folds my thumb backwards breaking it, luckily they had their own emergency room right at the factory, fixed me right up, plus pain meds, day off, still to today my thumb hurts anytime I have to pick up a rivet gun & bucking bar. Lesson I learned, Anytime I have to use a machine or tool someone else has the same access to it, I check the condition of it before use, Dam my thumb hurts just thinkin about it.
    Hope your finger/hand heals soon, so you can get back to work on your Pontiac.

25. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Ouch man that sucks. We've all been there. Screw deadlines, they're done when they're done.

26. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

used to use one of those right-angle 1/2" deals in plumbing all the time to drill through wall studs and floors. learned to hold it just tight enough to maintain control or it would smash your fingers some kind of bad when it caught, which it was guaranteed to do. that thing was good for throwing you into a wall while you were bent over drilling holes through floors and the handle would go through drywall like nothing if it had the chance too.

used the same drill but not the right-angle style for drilling frames for trailer hitch installs at the truck shop i worked in too. deal was to lay on your back on the floor and drill up through the frame with your knee and left hand on the side handle while you squeezed the trigger with your right hand. if the bits were sharp, which they never were it would go through not problem and fast. most tiimes they were dull and were one of the reasons for using your knee. dull bits would always grab as they broke through and jerk the drill right over your knee, usually smashing your hand against some other part of the frame or suspension. fun having the hot little shards of metal going down the sleeve of your shirt or jacket too.

i swear by Milwaukee for the power they have, but sometimes they can really mess you up!

Dave

27. switchkid0

switchkid0

Sorry to hear about your injury, Flop.
    I had one of those big DeWalt Rotary Hammers hit me in the face and knock me off a ladder. That kinda sucked. The worst part is your co-workers laughing at you after they ask if you're alright.
    Thanks for the pinion, it arrived yesterday. Hopefully going to the machine shop soon to get mine cut.

28. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

we have a 15 hp motor on top of a huge drillbit that is used to dig post holes for fences.(powerdigger) about halfway down your supposed to sit on thefour handels to to push it down. every once in a while youll hit a rock and the whole friggin thing just jams up, and freezes. i have some cuts scars and bruises but n briken bones.

29. aceuh

aceuh

Smaller drills can get ya to...this was sent to me by one of my buds that works down the road... it was one of his co-workers at a bus mfg company.

[​IMG]

30. skunx1964

skunx1964