Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who all wrenches out of tiny shop or no shop at all?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Sep 9, 2009.

1. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Spent most of my hot rodding years wrenching in gravel, dirt and yes even snow. Now I am older and have a nice garage but I also have bad knees, etc...

Wanna trade? ;-)

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

my little slice of hell is an old single story carriage house from about 1910. Tiny, but it has been home to my louver press and tools for about twenty years. Some would argue that it has been home to my '29 roadster p/u project for just as long! Not quite. Oh, usually there is a bike project in there too. Most of the heavy fabrication takes place under my kinda large cloth canopies out front of my shop. I've been thinking of renaming my stuff Haji Baba's Hot Rods due to tent type vibe! It actually works out better to be outside during the summertime around here, as even with the cooler going full blast it was around 125degrees inside for most of the summer.

3. zgears

zgears

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. blown green t

blown green t

After seeing some of these posts, I feel special with my two car garage. My first house had a carport for a while until I could enclose it. Here is my garage with my new project.

Attached Files:

5. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

You all are hardcore!!!! I love it!! It's the shits sometimes having the old car/bike bug but I sure don't feel crazy or alone around here!!!!

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i guess i dont fit in....

Attached Files:

7. Verminator

Verminator

Built a 4 car garage 12 years ago with a lift. Now it's jammed with 6 cars,tons of motors, trannies, and parts, Bodies hanging from the cieling.....and I'm outside laying in the dirt ....what's wrong with this picture????? I swear I'm getting back in there this winter !!!

8. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

A friend of mine built his bucket T in a shed that had a standard 36" entry door. The car was assembled bit by bit as pieces and assemblies were made and put together outside, then dismantled and put together inside the shed. He widened and lengthened the body too. Then it all came apart and was reassembled in the carport out front for all the world to see as a almost ready to run car. Now he has been terrorizing his neighborhood for some months, added a blower, and title and plates and sticker and insurance. Watch out world, all from a very modest and cramped shed in the back yard and alot of determination.

9. '59Edsel

'59Edsel

I work outside on dirt, between the house and a fence, in a space roughly 11'x20'. It's bearable, but I would love me some smooth concrete and walls...and maybe a few more feet.

10. Black*EyE*Bandit

Black*EyE*Bandit

An old oak tree was my frist place and shitty piece of plywood. aaahhhh The smell of tree sap brings back nightmares.

11. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

I'm a member of the driveway builders club lmao.
    Hey that's a good club name........

1shot

12. Black*EyE*Bandit

Black*EyE*Bandit

That place is Fing sweet. I like the layout. good job on the organizing!

13. oldtime

oldtime

I got a 14X20 single car garage with cement floor, it's full of machine tools. The Forty lives and gets work on in a lean to with a dirt floor beside the garage, yeah I'm not to bright.

Old Time

14. conormulroney

conormulroney

A 9X12 shed replaced the hot tub. It houses all the tools, spare parts and either the '67 Lambretta or the '24 model Tin pieces. I'm working on my "65 Mini in the driveway and the other 4 get to live on the street. Garage? That would be my son's bedroom and it's the biggest room in the house.

15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

My shop was always full of customers car,had to be that way,so for my own stuff it was the driveway or back paddio.:eek:

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Always worked outside, always had piles of parts/cars inside the garage, whether 1 or 2 stall. Thought I had a handle on it once but a project turned into 2 then 3 and the pile of parts kept growing so now it's go up the country 100 miles to my friend's 30X40 building and work on his stuff and my stuff sits. What the heck.

17. Shadetree

Shadetree
    from Va USA

My avatar name (shadetree) is my garage also!!!
    It works out ok, most of the time, but then the season turns to fall, and all the leaves fall off of my garage roof, so then it leaks!!

18. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I've been outdoors the whole time. Worked out of an old bread truck for years. Moved up to a 10x20 shed.
    Just moved into a house with a carport, luxury now baby!

19. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

I have been suffering out in the carport for the last couple of years. It sucks when it is -20

20. skwurl

skwurl

I work in my basement

21. I work in an oversized 1 car garage (25 x 18) and in my backyard (the city through a fit about me working in my driveway). If I'm working at home I've always worked out doors.

Our last place has a 24X10 garage that's where we built the pusher, if you wanted to get from one side to the other you pretty much had to crawl under it.

When I was in high school we chopped a Model A in the street in front of a buddys house. Torch, angle grinder and a skill saw with the blade turned around backwards.

Such is life.

22. Yeah I been tryin to get the Land-Lord to put in a WINDOW !!! >>>>.

Attached Files:

23. Never too big, but I changed transmissions in 30 below weather to pay for med school , it all makes for good stories and makes us tuff.

24. ShelbyStang

ShelbyStang

I like this thread! I myself work out of a little 1 car garage, about a 10x20. Its organized enough for a few engine stands, my too big workbench and box and such. I can get a car in and work all the way around it but I climb over everything though! Im not complaining though, I get stuff done! Ill have to post pics!

25. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

I work out of a two car garage and all my parts and tools are in a out building 50 yrds away. I'm so glad i have 300 ft of air line.

26. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Built this entire car, frame off restoration, (except the motor rebore, machine work) in this tiny garage, had to hang everything up in the rafters and bring down in shifts. Body work, rust removal, paint and all. Old one car garage, barely enough room to drive in close to one side and open the door on the wide side. About 4 feet between front bumper and wall with rear of car just clearing the garage door when it was closed. Needless to say I did a lot of work outside on the driveway...........

Attached Files:

27. shainerman

shainerman

I live in an apartment complex and get fines almost every week for fluids and rust on the ground, haha. I have 3 cars, one of which doesn't move. Needless to say, they hate me and I have NO TOOLS at all. I haven't used air in over a year and usually end up throwing a 50ft extension cord out of my 3rd story window to the parking lot.

28. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

That's a nice little shop!
    However...I'd be really worried about living around any animal large enough to leave a one-coiler this big!! :eek::D:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

29. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Thanks, BEB! I've done a bit more in there, I should really get some updated pics. The bottoms shelves on the right side are gone now, I got tired of running into them with my face. :eek: I added a couple of new shelves that sit higher to replace them.

30. DrJ

DrJ

Mr. NitroZ,

What make and model is that wall heater?
    I NEED one of those!
    It appears to be electric since I don't see a vent, if so I want one for my kitchen.
    110v or 220v not a problem.
    please tell all!

DrJ