Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Goofy Car Show Gimmicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Monster Rat, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fat chick. That's what I'm reading, anyway.

2. Brahm

Brahm

Hey now, knock it all you want.. we all gotta have hair cuts, and need wear clothes. Only so many options out there. Sure I don't rock a chain wallet or roll my pants (that often.. If I'm in SoCal at an event I'm wearing shorts!) I don't have a leather jacket, I do have a gas one but it smells like gear oil and I just use it for working on the car when it's cold and ya I wear alot of white-t's not a big fan of paying 30$ to advertise somebody elses business with logo wear, my girls hair is jet black and she's covered in tats, so sure I proboly look like one of the crowd when I go to an event but in my town it's just me. My shaved head or mohawk turned into slicked back/pompadour a good 14-15 years ago, but we all have different backgrounds as to why we like the style of hair we choose some of grew dig retro cuts, some people are a bit rockabilly, some a bit pyschobilly, some love the fonz, and some are Morriesy fans, and then there are poor SOB's like me who have hair thicker then chewbacca and really one have 3 style options.. shave, grease, or look like Jackie Moon

There are 50 different ways to cut your hair and slick it back so it's not like everybody has the exact same hair cut we all just have similar tastes probably wouldn't be a hot rod show in the first place if we didn't.

As far the stuffed animals, crybabies, and all that other stuff. I don't get it.. The only way it makes any sense to me if you're parked next to a bunch other cars the same model and you want it to stand out, but it just reminds me of that crap your see at the county fair where people show off the weird stuff they pack-rat..

If I ever get into car shows (which I doubt I will).. I'm tossing a pair of panties in the backseat and leaving it at that..

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  3. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

How about the trunk full of PBR cans. Yes Officer, I would like that DUI.

4. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I think some of these guys wives think it is a way to have some involvement in the car and they don't have the balls to tell them "stop already, it's making me look like a wuss!".

5. BinderRod

BinderRod

I hear you brother!! I have had my truck for 11 years and have washed it 3 times not counting the window glass. I have never driven it to a show giving trophys or judgeing. Just scrape off the bugs and away we go.

6. Jim-Bob

Jim-Bob

Man, you spend too much time around BREEDER!!

7. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I don't go to many car shows. Once I put a beer can and a bag of boiled peanuts on the trunklid. It left a mark.

8. Monster Rat

Monster Rat
    from Casper WY

It may be the wives......and if gets them involved....cool I guess. Just seems outa place to me.

9. Truckedup

Truckedup

So an Orca Betty is a big woman,probably in Spandex? Hmm,Ocra whales are powerful animals that kill and eat pretty much whatever they want.Orca's are pretty sleek for a whale too!

10. That's indoct R inated you plick. sorry I just couldn't resist.

Ya just gotta love these posts. I mean hell they go on forever. Hell even Doc got into the act trying to make me look uninformed, he knew that Pontiac used the whole tiger thing, he was there and probably got at least 4 TV stations.

All we need now is someone to get heated maybe a dont mess with __________ cause he's a tough SOB or you guys are all tough on the other side of the key board I'll bet you wouldn't say that if you were in my hemisphere.

Well not to hijack this post but has anyone ever been to one of those mainline mainline car shows and seen people there just smiling and stuff. I just don't get it at all. :rolleyes:

11. bones35

bones35

"Well not to hijack this post but has anyone ever been to one of those mainline mainline car shows and seen people there just smiling and stuff. I just don't get it at all. :rolleyes: <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> "

I hear ya, and I never even see a bottle of whiskey or beer in their hand. Seems like every time I bring a chair to a car event my drunk buddy ends up crushing it. So we don't even stand by our cars anymore. It's way to dangerous for our paint :)

12. At the Iola, Wisc car show this year there was a guy who had put a stuffed skunk under his "A" tire like he had hit it. Amusing. A few cars down some guy had actually hit a skunk on the way there. Talk about realistic. PEEE UUUWWW!!!:eek::D AAAAAThe aroma of the open road.

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

WTF are you talkin' about?

So you were the guy with the frown on his face.....:D

14. What do you think budd? I mean hell has anyone ever seen me sileing or having a good time?

How on earth are ya, been down to see you uncle lately? Do I know him we ought to be about the same age.

15. 31fordV860

31fordV860

how bout' ... Gray 40yo greasy hair styles ......

Like a banjo player in a porsche , just doesnt go together ..

Some of them just look like carny's ...

16. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

You got a problem with teddy bears?

<-----------------

;)

17. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

One funny gimmick to me is the truck nuts. You got a sack of nuts hanging off your bumper and you think thats cool?:eek: That's just plain gay if you ask me. My car is a girl. You get into the girl. You don't get into a dude.

18. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

This is funny shit ,I don't care who you are

I like the "remove before flight " streemers hanging on the back of a car that can't outrun a Prius.

There is a guy locally that has a Falcon with the traction bars on backwards, yeah going to the rear, he also has " school is in session " painted on the rear 1/4.

A friend says a local plastic surgeon specializing in boob jobs,is thinking about giving a discount to Harley riders, It seems half of his business is from people who bought a harley in the last year and wants to keep up with the all his friends.

I seldom attend any kind of show but when I do I encourage people to set in my car and touch the hell out of it.,I remember being young and all the ash holes who thought they were too special to be nice to anybody.

19. Nope, no difference at all, a poser is a poser. A poser who plays dress up every day is just that much sadder than one who only does it for bike night or some rockabilly car show. The fun starts when people use motorcycles or hot rods as accessories to a “life style” thay can't really live.

20. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

It's the need to socialize in all of us. Even the anti-social attempt to socialize at some level. We all need for others to look at our car, some of us do it openly, others covertly. I respect those that openly seek the attention, feel somewhat wistful for those that lack the ability to do so.
    I 'display' at a somewhat lower level than some, but still have my toys to accent the decor of my car. The little wall hanging my wife made me, quilted with the fabric of the '31 Chivvy that I upholstered; I drape it over a fender, it gets attention from the ladies who might not otherwise want to visit with this old fart. The plaque that my son presented to me; I display it to remind me of my close relationship with him, even if he isn't in attendance. It also opens up the possibility that I will engage some passer by in conversation when they stop to read it. The Tazmanina devil doll attracts little kids, and many of them with their smile and attention glean a chance to sit in the driver's seat and toot the horn. The Air Horns attract grown men, some ask "Those look like real 18-wheeler horns, do they really work"?, which gives me the opportunity to explain the plumbing and the air supply tank.

Good? Sad? Silly? Tasteful? One thing I never do is be so presumptious to believe that my judgement on how somebody else displays their car amounts to the price of a hill of beans. Anybody that imagines otherwise is, themselves, missing out. After all, showing a car, either blatently, or passively, is a Social Experience. The anti-social, the ones that make fun of others in an attmpt to bolster their own ego, are the sad ones.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  21. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

sir, that hits the nail on the head.good job!

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'd prefer you didn't call me sir.:) Somebody might think I'm a Captain or a Lieutenant or some kind of a gentleman with status or something.
    Of course if you're simply recognizing my age, that's ok. :D

23. 61TBird

61TBird

No,it wouldn't......:eek::eek::eek:

Does that include Vintage Bowling shirts?
    Luckily I fit into the vintage sizes and it's a guarantee no one else will be wearing the same shirt.
    My favorite is the Jarzembowski Funeral Home one from the early '60's.

24. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

I'm headin' that direction in 2 weeks holmes...he's late 50's. You that old buddy?:p
    May be bring back a '68 Dodge SWB PU. It's cool man, Centerlines, Early Barracuda interior, a HONKIN' 383 and 3.91 Sure-Grip.....the fucker is constantly SIDEWAYS man...alot of fun to drive...hahaha!!!

You lookin' fer anything?:D

25. von zipper

von zipper

Don't work for me! thank god! The Von zipper thing for me is just because I always liked the character in the movies! and when I got my bike I would snap my fingers like him as a joke! I don't and won't dress up like VZ!

26. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I never understood that. I've lost points at car shows because I refuse to include that stuff. I just don't understand what it adds to the car being shown.

27. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

I just thought it would be fun to send a message. If you can't read it, it says "Start them young, they'll love you for it"

Attached Files:

28. Alfster

Alfster

I saw a T Bucket at a show one time that had a balloon with 'Original Air Bag' written on it taped to the steering wheel.

But as a swipe at some of these 'show rodders' a good mate has this show board he places in front of his pickup at runs and displays.

ENGINE:....... up front

GEARBOX:..... in the middle

DIFF:........... yes, at the back

SUSPENSION: was there last time I looked

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  29. Cry babies under the back wheels? Thats great! I,m running low on kittens......

30. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

I don't usually go in for the plush toys/crybaby dolls,drivein trays-with-plastic food...
    It's been done and detracts from the usually nice vehicle it's posed on?

The best(?),most provacative "display" I ever saw was a guy leading a black lamb around a car show."She" was wearing red lingerie and garters.
    (You know,I just had to ask the guy if her name was "Bettttttttttie?")
    The crowd would fall silent as he walked by with the lamb.People just didn't know how to respond?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.