Register now to get rid of these ads!

F-1 crossmember

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BillyBobsSpeedShop, Sep 9, 2009.

1. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

I have a 29 ford coupe that i purchased a couple of weeks ago. I have the how to build traditional hotrods book and have read it a couple of times. After doing some searching on the hamb i found out that the F-1 crossmmeber is easier and cheaper to use for my A model than the 32 K member. I have a 100hp flatty V8 and a 39 transmision im going to use for the car, and can get my hands on a couple F-1 trucks for some parts. I was wondering if anyone could steer me in the right direction on finding a write up or an article or even pictures of how to put the f-1 in the a model. I have searched but can not come up with any detailed information on it.

2. the-rodster

the-rodster

I did it, works pretty nice.

I moved the pedal location slightly up and to the right, I'll try to dig up some pics.

3. HR Classic Cars

HR Classic Cars
    from Wylie, TX

Not sure I understand your question, you say you researched and found out that it is "easier and cheaper" using the F1 cross member, how do you know that if you don't know how to do it? or is it just what the book says and you have no practical knowledge?

The F1 cross members, frames or even full trucks are much easier and cheaper to find then original '32 cross members, but any type of cross member; '32, F1, home made are about as easy to install as any other, in my opinion hot rodding is all about making the pieces you have work together for the lowest cost and the best performance.

I like the parts you are starting with, 29 coupe, flatty and a 39 trans..

4. the-rodster

the-rodster

5. BillyBobsSpeedShop

BillyBobsSpeedShop

No the book doesnt state to use a F-1 crossmember, it states to use a 32 K member. if you search you would see the cost diffenrence in parts alone compared to the 32 K member install with the 32 brake assembly and other parts. I want a traditional hot rod with things that i could find at local yards. Im not a master builder or anything like that, and yes I do have practiacl knowledge but have not ever built a rod before. ive spent the last 4 yrs in college so im getting started a little late on building my first rod but i couldnt afford it then. but now I have a good job as an design engineer and cnc programmer on the side so I have time and a little xtra to finally build a rod.

By the way i would like to see pixs if you have a chance, the-rodster