Register now to get rid of these ads!

moving - put my truck INSIDE the UHAUL box truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seetz, Sep 7, 2009.

1. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

seems like alot of weight really high up........

2. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Mine was a 27 and weighed 2000# with the motor.

3. JoeB

JoeB

If considering a Rental box truck make sure that it has a high enough Pay load capacity for the wieght you want to carry - Most rental trucks are light duty, and are required to go through scales....got tripped up that way once...had to pull the car out and drag it with a tow bar to get back under weight - fortunately I figured it out before actually going through the scales - I thought the tires were low on air and when I reallized they were not I got the rig weighed at a truck stop and figured out the problem...

4. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I always have an uneasy feeling when I see rental trucks. Mainly because much of the time it's obviously the driver's first attempt to pilot such a vehicle. After reading this thread, I'll probably be totally paranoid now.

5. thunderplex

thunderplex

I hauled our Healy 3000 from St.Augustine, Florida to Atlanta, Georgia in 1969. I found a gas station in Atlanta that would let me back the truck up to the car lift and I drove it out of the truck. Should be simple.

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get the U-Haul trailer or regret it.

7. You only have to cross the scales if you have a 8 ton or more base plate. Then you better have a CDL and a health card log book and bill of lading. How do i know this I drive a semi. I hardly ever cross the scales i know a route to take me almost anywhere so as i dont have to go by the scale house. That being said i got stopped on ILL 3 near st louis mo last week by the DOT. 1,000 lbs over on the rear axle.:eek: The guy gave me a warning ticket. Next time i will load lighter. OldWolf

8. von zipper

von zipper

It can be done! I work for a aluminum company, and the coils are standing up [eye to the sky] 4ft tall 7-9000lbs banded on a skid, and blocked in with 2x4s. I drive for them and I would block and strap down the 4 corners! better safe than sorry!! I've had trucks come in with the coils slid to one side because they took the turn wrong or somebody cut them off! Your truck don't weigh as much as these coils, so strap down, block in, and drive coool and you will be alright!

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Years ago my dad put a car in one .That was a parts car 4 of us pushed it in . Wheel wells are a problem .Trailer the easiest ,Done that too. Some times you gotta do what you do to get the job done. Screw wedges into floor so car can't move forward or back .Wood putty holes when finished and make sure you have a very well constructed ramp.I wouldn't drive it in push it in. Go slow and block Get alot of help .

10. Kustm52

Kustm52

If you need some help unloading or anything on this end, give me a shout. I'm only about 30m from Tuscaloosa.

Brian

11. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Some of you guys sound like fatal crashes waiting to happen.
    :cool:

12. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I would not do it. Unless that truck has some type of brake assist its going to be hell to stop it. Not to mention top heavy in windy situations.

Putting it in there with out tieing it down is suicide. If that thing comes through the front wall your dead.

What if the car falls through the floor?

Better off just getting the trailer or dolley.

13. greazy john

greazy john

u haul car trailer only cost $50 a day WHY risk it???? one mishap will cost more ....
    be smart and safe

GREAZY HUBCAPZ East Tn