Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HERSHEY, any vendors see the comment about hotrods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Von Dago

Von Dago
    from New Jersey

A month away and I'm already getting excited:D

Like a kid in a candy store!

2. 5window

5window

It really depends on what you want to get out of Hershey. Because of some outdated "Blue Laws", the show only runs until Saturday. Most vendors are closing up shop by Friday afternoon-especially if it rains-there are some, but not many, left early Saturday morning. Plus a lot of vendors want to see the finished cars and the car show is Saturday afternoon.
    Don't worry about parking-there's plenty of space-if you come late,you just have to walk farther. Pay like $10 per car load for parking and the show is free-can't beat that.

So, if you want to see the widest variety of well finished restoration autos you'll ever see in one place, come Saturday (also the day to look through the trash piles for treasure). If you want to walk the many miles of parts, come earlier in the week.

Hershey musts:
    Rainsuit,dry socks, comfortable shoes, layers of clothing,water bottle, quarters for the restroom attendants, lunch?, a hat, a way to lug your stuff, a smile. Unless you know it's a HAMBer, don't announce you are a hotrodder. And unless you are, don't act like an expert. There are men and women at Hershey who have spent their entire lives leaning one brand,or one facet of the car business and they know more about left lower door escutcheon screws that you would think anybody in the world would know.
    Come to learn. If it's not at Hershey-it probably doesn't exist any more.

3. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I also go to the ACCA every year and see many hot rods or modified there for sale so why the big deal all the sudden ?
    Well We also do the same thing at the Showdown soooo... it's their show but kinda stupid seeing that you can but just about anything at that show . Another thing I have seen at the ACCA too is a lot more Trains , toys , beanie babies and so on , so where does the parts start and the all the other shit that is NOT car related end ! Bitch and throw out a car guys modified car but let's leave the NON RELATED items there to sell !

OH well I will be there just like the rest . Then I will bitch at their officials for all the NON RELATED items that are being sold there ! :mad::mad::mad:

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, maybe when I was about 10 years old I would have entertained those thoughts, but after getting getting the chip knocked off my shoulder a few times, I grew up and lost any 'punk' I had.

It's kinda like visiting a cousin that tells you ahead of time that he doesn't allow smoking in his house. You go there and get pissed off when he won't let you smoke in his house. Or would you go, but wear a "I Love Cigarettes" T-shirt, just to piss him off? Maybe stamp your feet and hold your breath, too.
    Grow up, son. It's HIS house - if you don't like the rules, don't visit him.

Geezuss, WTF is so hard to understand about rules ????

Sorry, guess I had a bad day, but damn, man.......

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  5. noboD

noboD

5Window, I don't think there are any AACA Nat'l shows on Sunday anywhere, it's AACA rules. The only reason modified parts are allowed to be sold is because they COULD be used on an AACA approved race car. The Chevelle on the sticker looks like it may have ralley wheels, which were not available in '66. Funny thing is the cars on the stickers and T shirts are usually the Fall Meet Chairman's.

6. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

That is one good thing about E Bay, they do not discriminate, they will take everyones money.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you have access to the AACA Judgeing manual you can read that "Speedsters" are NOT ALLOWED on the Show Field at National events. Long stand discussion I've had. They will accept all the wood bodied Depot Hack Model T Fords, but will reject a Twin Cam Fronty with a Mercury speedster body. We are making a big deal out of this problem, just show up and have fun. If Megan has a red salor suit to wear, that is OK too.:eek::D

8. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Thank God and a American Soldier, That the AACA has the right to make it rules and you and I can choose to go or not!
    I Love the H.A.M.B.

9. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

I may be the one Mr Spadaro is referring to who complained about being thrown out of Hershey last year. My entry into the HAMB titled "My Hershey nightmare" explained my experience. To recap, the car was an incredible time warp 1927 T coupe found in a SoCal garage. Modified with an original 1958 Corvette 270hp drive train. To keep it short....and the incident was not, I drove in the corral and was apprehended by an overly zealous official attached to a golf cart. The insults were hurled by the official, not me. Trust me, I did not act in a manner deserving of the treatment I received.
    No, I did not know about the rules. Shame on me. Yes, it is their event and I respect that.
    BUT, It troubles me about the uneven enforcement of the rules, which is even described in this thread plus the behavior of some of the officials.
    Furthermore I have been attending Hershey for over 40 years, I always saw modified cars, in fact after I got my car off the field I saw many modified cars participating. Truthfully the ban never occurred to me or any of the people that knew I was attending.
    I can assure you though I know now. I wish I had read this last year!

10. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Rossodino34

In no way do I want to take away from things like you went though!

11. yoyodyne

yoyodyne

Just so you know, I wasn't referring to you when I said "someone screwed up".

There are little tin Hitlers around every corner some days.

12. noboD

noboD

I wonder if Hemming's Motor News will be let in, all their old trucks have modern running gear?

13. F&J

F&J

I had no idea those were modified. That's exactly my earlier point when I said it should not matter what type of vehicle you sell out of.

The Hemmings trucks would be a great example, because those trucks are more of a display, rather than vendor transportation. Right?

Then people here say, "if you don't like it, don't go".

I don't own a car newer than 1970, and I DON"T own a unmodied car/truck......so I guess I can't ever go. :)

Hey, I only sold one year at hershey, back in 91 with a very modified truck...call the cops :)

14. All,

Read my last post on this...I really think we'll all do fine..just like Clark said..keep a low profile...LOL. My past President friend will be very close to my spots. If anybody has a problem? I can get him to help..he is also a vendor with modified cars.....We'll be ok.

ALSO, I've started a thread for HAMBer Hershey spaces...so we can all band together if necessary....Please list your field and space numbers on that thread, so we know where everyone is located. We'll have a 5 day meet and greet!!!

Murph:cool:

15. 5window

5window

Guess I'll just park my non-traditional Prius in the parking lot and walk in-maybe i can buy one of those AACA approved antiques at pre-Kruse auction prices.:)

16. noboD

noboD

5Window, the Kruse auction is at Lebanon Fairground about 15 miles away this year. I think there was a blowout! If you read the Kruse auction thread a few months ago you will understand why they are not IN Hershey.

17. 29pu

29pu

if your looking for hot rod parts carlisle the better place to go i think.you can find more qc rears,blowers,or any kind of traditional hop up parts there more than at hershey.i go to both.i like restoring model t`s so i go to hershey for that can of stuff.for hot rod parts i usually find that at carlisle.hershey is the better place to find sheetmetal though.

18. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

19. BigChief

BigChief

.....that wasn't trying, that was doing.

20. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

HomemadeHardtop57, thanks for the offer where one would be welcome.I can't understand supporting a show that doesn't want you there.

21. Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Me also.

22. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Screw em,when the antiquers come to our shows and swap meets we should tell them they can't play in our yard either.I get a kick out of those guys when they say you ruined a good car chopping it up like that.NO your wrong I made it better,more dependable and safe for real highway use. It's just the way I like it .

23. frank spittle

frank spittle

The AACA has always been about factory stockers 25 years old or older. I went to Hershey every year from 1976 to 2005. The first year '51 year models were the newest accepted. This year it's '84. The last year I went the Car Corral was open to anything 25 years old and you could drive anything into the flea market. However, you could not sell any cars/trucks/motorcycles newer than 25 years old in the flea market either. I know many AACA officials and most have a past in hot cars and love everything we love. I believe it is more about space than anything and also staying true to what the founders would want. It is the greatest car event in the world. If you get there early on Saturday morning you can see the history of the automobile drive past you from 1890s to 1984, almost every make. I especially love the Stanley Steamers since that is the only show I have personally seen one.

24. Originally Posted by Clark [​IMG]
    I'll still go and buy their cool parts for my hot rods!
    Clark

Well said

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Clark [​IMG]
    I'll still go and buy their cool parts for my hot rods!
    Clark

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

25. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

exactly.

26. Sorry but I can't even begin to understand why anyone would think this way. In this case it is an event put in by an association that is all about restored stock vehicles and it is promoted for the good and benefit of those that agree with those belief's. The fact that Rodders can and will use those same parts from the swap meet, does NOT mean that they should change their values and beliefs. And to think otherwise is as ridiculous as going to a Girl Scouts meeting and asking why a boy can't join - which part of Girl Scouts don't you understand. Back in the 70's I helped put on a Van Event, a bunch of mini truckers showed up and got pissed when we wouldn't let them in. "Why Not?" they said, because it's a VAN IN, plain and simple, your Datsun is not a van. I was at my local gun shooting range recently, there was a bit of an altercation at the counter. I asked what was going on, seems some guy had his panties in a wad because they wouldn't let him shoot his crossbow. It says GUN range, not bow and arrow.
    Why do people go somewhere that has rules and think they should be changed just for them? I don't get it. And the Billetproof example was perfect - would you want a Boydster to be allowed in? After all he has money too. Of course you wouldn't

27. 5window

5window

Well put. I love Carlisle and I will go as long as it's there and I can still walk. I buy lots of stuff there and always have a good time. But Carlisle also has lots of vendors and cars I am not interested in, particularly very recent pick-ups that are NOT work trucks.

Hershey is fanatastic and FREE. I have to trade a lot to be able to go to both. But if I had to choose, I'd always do Hershey.

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Well said, I really think Hershey is a melting pot for a lot of car hobby people that like HAMB era cars. I don't like the 25 years old and it's an antique rule, but at least nobody is draging parts for those cars to Hershey to clutter up things.

29. newjersm3

newjersm3

This isnt a hot rod show. leave your car at home, wear a peirce arrow pin on your hat and score end of story.

30. scarylarry

scarylarry

Skidmarks, just keep hitting the home runs!! You do get it.