Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What's the best way to PARK MY MOHAIR?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Detonator, Sep 7, 2009.

1. I just scored a seat from a friend for my '40 opera coupe. The mounting/slide mechanism is in great shape, and the mohair covers look NEW. It's gonna be some time before the project gets to the interior stage, and I have nowhere inside to store it. I do have a covered deck that it can go onto, but there are no walls. Winters are mild here, but with an El Niño predicted, we'll probably get a lot of rain. Again, the seat will be under cover, but should I wrap it in plastic? Build a big cardboard box and throw in some moth balls? What's worked for you guys? Thanks...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If Mohair is real, it is moth chow. Storing outside in a closed bag is likely to make it stink if the moths don't get it...
    Take off the backs, remove anything you can in the way of slder tracks, and slide the pieces under a bed or behind the sofa. If those sorts of places are full, find something that is all plastic or metal to go outside to make space. Or throw away the sofa and sit on the '40 seat!

3. I think it's an L-B seat cover Bruce, just by looking at the way it's installed. So it may be a modern fabric with the mohair "look." My wife would like a new sofa... but this ain't it :D

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Do anything you can to store it inside even if you have to take it apart. Store it's diassembled parts in sealed pastic bags, sealed platic garbage cans, sealed plastic storage containers along with moth balls, Irish Spring soap and Bounce Febreze dryer sheets. Take photos of how to reassemble in case you forget.

5. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

How about the heavy shrink wrap they use around here for boats in the winter. It's heavy and impervious to any thing getting in. You wrap it and then use a heat gun to shrink it up and seal it. DON'T put moth balls in it....you'll regret it. The smell lasts forever.

6. Use it in the living room like a love seat until you get ready to put it in the car. Think of all the little mos who made the supreme sacrifice for you to have that mohair.

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I find that by also using Irish Spring Bar Soap and Febreze dryer sheets the moth ball smell is lessened. Maybe it just "out smells" the moth balls.

8. bbtom30

bbtom30
    from so. cal

If you seal it in plastic,after sitting outside in Santa Cruz you will gaurantee mildew.Even though you can't feel it there is mousture in the cover and padding.If you seal it in plastic you seal in moisture.bbtom

9. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Good point. Store that seat inside in a dry place.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Somehow reminds me of my favorite Hemming's ad of all time...1970's...
    "1941 Studebaker Champion. Wife says it goes or she goes. Your choice, $300."
    Aways wondered how that shook out...

11. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like you have a backyard. I say build a shed. sounds like you need one anyways.