Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Is this the same car that George Supinski raced?
    Bob Rice

2. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

All fixed. And thank YOU!

3. colesy

colesy

Here's George's 62.

Attached Files:

4. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

Keep them 409's coming. I love 'em!

5. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

What do you think Bill, same car?

6. colesy

colesy

Sure looks like it Bob. Hey Roger, see what your dad says.

7. colesy

colesy

For all the Oldmobile fans, here's a nice write-up on Berejik Olds from the back pages of a 1968 Drag News.

Attached Files:

8. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Absolutely no clue !!! I'll ask the old boy and see what he says....sure looks like it to me tho....its amazing how many of these cars became another....

9. colesy

colesy

Ron Garey 1968. I believe the first car here was rolled at a local Ohio track?
    It was then re-bodied to the second version (color photo). Garey's Hurst Olds was actually a F85 converted to a H/O with the 455 & automatic? They ran both cars during the 68 season. Jim Wheeler drove the Remtinger 68 (second Garey car) when Ron got his 69 Smother's Brothers Team Car? Can any of you Oldsmobile guys verify or fill in the blanks? Thanks;
    .............Colesy

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  10. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Some good shots there, Colesy!

[​IMG]

Pete

11. 442Mike

442Mike

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!!!! Great article thanks for posting!
    Here's a few pics of their 68.

Attached Files:

12. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

13. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

14. 442Mike

442Mike

You are correct, they rolled their 1st 68 race car. The early pics have Chesrown in block letters as compared to the script style of their re-bodied racer. According to Tweed Vorhees GM sent them a new body following their wreck. I'm hoping Tweed will step in and fill the rest of the blanks. I believe their Hurst Olds was converted.

Attached Files:

15. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

Havent seen or heard from Dave Hinkle since he went in the service in 73. Hinkle is the correct spelling, found an old picture of the car with names on the side. 15.54 on a 15.24 record with a $600 car in race trim and 2 kids who knew nothing, but didnt know they didnt............Woody Woods

17. That 62 GP would have come with the "Slim Jim" Roto-hydramatic 3-speed.
    A real POS ! Those things would leave you at a stoplight!.... Call a wrecker.
    I tried racing a 63 GP ,389, 313 Tri Power motor back in 68-69, with no luck at all. Eventually I put a 4-speed in it, and later, a 421 Tri-Power motor.

WE need to track down Ramon, so we can get the rest of this story.
    How about it Chuck, Tony?

18. pontiyak

pontiyak

Didn't the Manarina Olds car belong to Don Ranks, a regular at Niagara and sometimes at Cayuga. I seem to remember that he received one of the Smothers cars when they were being handed out as well.

19. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

20. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Mark, we'll have to rely on Tony for this one. I took a 14-month sabbatical leave in '68/'69 and that, added to several prior years I spent racing AHRA, pretty much cut me out of that span of time.

c

21. twotoejoe

twotoejoe

My money says he took a sledgehammer to the floorpan and installed the 'superhydramatic' out of a Bonneville or Star Chief of the same year. That WAS a good transmission, but was bigger and required modifying the tranny tunnel to get it to fit. Just ask me how I know!

Attached Files:

22. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

That would not have been a legal modification for Stock Eliminator and they checked things like that in those days. Today, it would be a no-brainer. Just one of the little tweaks to the rules that have favored several combinations over the later years.

23. 442Mike

442Mike

[​IMG]

Here's the Berejik car at the World Finals. This is their replacement, the original Burgundy Mist car was wrecked in a highway accident.

[​IMG]

24. 442Mike

442Mike

Here's Ron Garey receiving the trophy, and more, for his Springnationals Stock Eliminator win.

Attached Files:

25. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

Chuck & Tweed, thanks for welcoming me to this site. My son Dan told me about this site and mentioned that there was an interesting thread about Junior Stockers, which was all he had to say to get my attention.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I attempted to post additional information, etc. but my post was rejected for too many images. I edited it several times but still no go.

Jimmy

26. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Jimmy,
    I ran into the same problem at work Friday. I emailed the same information home and pasted it in a message and it took it wih no problem.
    Bob Rice

27. colesy

colesy

DISCLAIMER:
    Just in case Bob Rice's boss reads this thread from time to time, this is a different Bob Rice, not the Bob Rice that works for you. That Bob Rice would never be posting images on the HAMB from work and would be the first to discourage others from doing so.:D

28. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

You have Dempsy Hardy listed as a 51 Studebaker and the Crockagator was a 55, maybe 54. That was Bob Dwyers old car which he also ran in Div 2 before Dempsy. Weeks {I think}or Densmore drove it back then I cant recall which. Im open to correction if I have it wrong, 42 years ago is a long time and I suffer from CRS, cant remember stuff. I remmeber that stuff better then what I did 10 minutes ago though.

29. bundyracingdaman

bundyracingdaman

Hey Mr. Norton, how about posting some pictures of your current racer? I would be interested in seeing what your raceing nowadays! You too Mr. Janes, or any other former JR. stocker racers that are still racing! (although I love the old JR. stockers, you stock-superstock racing impress me ten times more than ANY of the pro class racers ever could!!!)

30. club442

club442
    from ohio

DW31S sent me these pics to scan and post with some info on them.Both cars were driven by Sonny Freeman he owned the 59 and ran H/SA and drove the 65 442 that was owned by anderson olds which ran in B/S and BB/S.The 59 ran mid 15's and the 442 ran 12.80 to 12.90 at 109 to 110 mph. Thanks again Dave for the pics.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]