Register now to get rid of these ads!

1951 California plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slddnmatt, Sep 6, 2009.

1. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

just curious and was wondering if anybody had some info.. i picked up some 51 plates this past weekend and they are 5 digit plates. i have seen the 6 & 7 digits but never a 5. i had the ##'s ran and there clear which is good. so is it just a very early 51 plate?

matt

2. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Do they begin with "W"? The only 5 digit 1951 California plates I've ever seen were issued to HAM radio operators to match their radio call letters.

I don't know if the DMV knows that or will allow those to be issued to anyone but the HAM owner.

3. Mason

Mason

Brad Masterson's 51' Chevy has 5 digit 51 plates on it. I tried to post a pic but don't know how.....

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

yes they do....interesting, well hopefully i will get to use them. luckily they said i could return them if i cant get them issued

5. HELLMET

HELLMET

you should be fine . have one with 5 digits. its the 7 digits to look out for. they reissued a lot of those #s.

6. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Just call the DMV. They will tell you if those numbers are in use.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

there clear already checked on that...now i wonder who's ham plates they used to be??

8. i'm running the commercial plates on my '54 panel. "com" is normal, i'm running "be" (board of equalization?) and they let them through.

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I have a 5 digit pair that begin with "3". I here they were just the early numbers.