Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage HERSHEY, any vendors see the comment about hotrods?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skidmarks, Sep 6, 2009.

1. skidmarks

skidmarks
    from USA

in the paperwork outlining the do's and donts of the fall swap meet, it stated "no modifieds allowed in the flea market, that includes rods, cruisers, vehicals for sale or vehicals used as vendor transportation. when a modified is found, the sticker will be voided and the vehical will not be allowed into the flea market for any reason" AACA

i know its theyre show and ive been going there for years and a memeber of the AACA . i can understand not having them in the car coral, but you cant even driver your dailer driver if its a hot rod ect into the market to sell you stuff out of. i know alot of hambers that sell there (stick and hotrod parts) and have had their cars in the swapmeet area some forsale some not so beaware of this incase you are driving a long distance and plan on being in the swap meet area to drive your Honda or SUV or what ever else.
    there was a post last year about a guy with a old rod getting tossed out of the car coral.

2. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

What can be said, other than it is their show. Unfortunately, they appear to be acting like a bunch of shit heads. Restorers sometime just act like a bunch of freakin' Nazis...

3. F&J

F&J

The car hobby seems to be getting more fragmented every day.

Now, I can see why they tossed a steetrod/hotrod out of the car corral, but I sure don't get why you can't sell stuff out of a "modified" vehicle...it makes no sense at all. That's as crazy as saying you need to sell parts out of an AACA friendly car, and no modern vendor vehicles allowed.

As far as selling modified parts; there would be no problems selling a frontenac setup for a banger, or even displaying an original or repro aftermarket "Mercury" brand boattail speedster body made for the Model T's. Modification and aftermarket have always been part of automotive history.

Anybody read years ago about Bill Harrah trying to build a clone of his first teenage car he built in the 30's? A Ford A with 1928 Chrysler wire wheels and I think some engine souping...he found those wheels one year at Hershey for his clone.

I finally went to an AACA local show this year, and if it wasn't for them allowing hotrods and streetrods, there would have been just 3 or 4 prewar cars (not counting Model A's). The AACA locals shows must be forced to bend rules, and they are trying maybe to keep Hershey "pure"?.

The strange thing about all this is that you don't see any hotrod hate on the AACA forum sites. It seems like there are people there who have stock and modified cars....and the ones that don't are very open minded.

4. Louie

Louie
    from NJ

I got the boot last year,this is the offender,
    [​IMG]
    Been selling for years there,always had a not for sale sign up,never had a problem,I think the Americans and slicks were the kicker.With that said its their party,didnt want to rock the boat too much.

5. wvenfield

wvenfield

Isn't this the same thing so many say that HAMB events should be? As said, it's their event.

6. I've never seen that before. Old Hotrods are in the flea market for sale every year. I'm going to make some calls on Tuesday...

Murph:cool:

7. F&J

F&J

Those wheels are slick. I was looking at the rare offset on the fronts, but even the rears look very uncommon. Nice Look :)

8. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Darn parking Nazi's made it all the way out to Pa. ?

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im still going. Even though they don't want us there. That rule is really weird.My guess is they want all cars in the corral. I love that they moved it all on to the blacktop.

10. All,

A past AACA President is a friend of mine. I am going to call him about this tomorrow or Tuesday. He is still very active in the Hershey show, and I'm sure I'll get the straight story from him. BUT get this, All you guys look at your windshield stickers...the 66 Chevelle is a modified with mags hanging out of the wheel wells...Go figure. I'll try to get an answer and will post the details.

Murph:cool:

11. aceuh

aceuh

I've got a bud at work that brings me his dads AACA newsletters/magazines. They've got a lot of interesting stuff in them and a lot of those guys have got guts, building cars that parts are completely non-existent for...and then they get all excited about a garage kept low mileage all-original Chevette. Seriously, I've seen it.

As stated...It's their show. I guess they can do as they please.

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for the Headsup! I never would have read the notice unless you posted this, and I've been a Hershey vendor for 38 years. It is their show and their rules, but I enjoy seeing the mix of Pre War stuff in the flea market for sale any just drivers. There are a few big 1930 vans that some vendors have hauled their parts in for years and I know they have power upgrades, sure hope they don't get tossed. there could be a fairly large lot of banned vehicles if they get real picky. Hope it doesn't amount to much.

13. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

its more about keeping full billet cars out of there...its not really about hating hot rodders and stuff like that...but you know what would happen if they too that rule away the show field would be filled with fiberglass and billet rods...i think the show is fine the way it is....you can still find the rarest of the rare at Hershey

14. Mopar34

Mopar34

I don't go where I am not wanted, simple as that. Neither of my cars would work at an AACA event so what's the point in wasting my time and my money. Actually I prefer Carlisle to Hershey anyway.:eek:

15. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

Carlisle had gone really down hill compared to what it was 5 years ago...its great if you own a mustang or camaro you can basically build a whole car there...but as far as pre-war stuff it sucks...you can walk around the whole place and buy maybe one part...Hershey has 9,000 spaces...worlds largest collector car event...I have both restored cars and hot rods and Hershey is the best event to go to...i have never gone there without getting every part i was looking for

16. kwmpa is correct..there is really no comparison..Hershey is far and above a more historic and vintage show. A friend of mine from Ca. always says the Pomona show is the biggest...until he came to Hershey last year..he changed his tune real quick. Carlisle had good shows ...Chrysler and Corvettes are still the best of the events there..all the rest have really suffered since Chip Miller passed..too bad. Hershey is the real deal, don't miss it for the wrong reasons.

Murph

17. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

How bout it. The race cars deserve to be there. Hopefully we can lobby to get some select hot rods and customs there like ther did pebble beach...if they were built in the 50s they deserve to be there too

18. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

What's new!!!
    They will still take your money for there junk parts .
    There is a show in our area that lets the streetrods and Kustoms in,
    they park those cars up in the north forty
    The levels for the antiques are getting less crowded because they are dying off.,
    still park them in the last level.
    screwim
    I don't bring any of my cars .Rather work out in the garage .

19. teddyp

teddyp

i agree i would rather go to carlisle any day aaca makes rules up as the go along i,m a kustom ,hot rod guy so if you don,t want me there screw you just my 2 cents

20. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Last year there was a modifed '29 Ford roadster driving around with twin carbs and no hood, he even parked it right in front of the officials tent. I saw him there on set up day and opening day. I guess some people are the exception, or they know a higher power.

21. solid

solid

cool car...

22. solid

solid

When people and money stop coming, they will lighten up, and come down off thier high horse.

23. hemifarris

hemifarris

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't "Billetproof", which I attend, do the same policing of cars that are allowed in?

24. Lesabre

Lesabre
    from joisey

Speaking of Hershey does anyone have an extra space they want to sell? Drop me a note if you do, I would appreciate it.

Bernardo

A man’s value is that which he sets upon himself.

25. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

I don't understand all the elitism that has infected the car hobby in general.

Everyone wants a show of their own, so they don't have to rub up against those lesser souls who don't do it like they do (whatever flavor you favor).

If you don't like a certain car, just ignore it.

I have the same problem understanding folks who make a huge stink here over a thread they dislike, instead of just ignoring it and letting it die.

IMO, with size, comes arrogance (in just about anything).

The old, "screw 'em, we're huge and powerful, we don't need their kind."

That may work fine while you're huge, but humility inevitably returns as the pool of people willing to jump through the hoops of ever shrinking diameter diminishes and finally ceases to exist entirely.

It's their show, and their rules, but it's my money, and my time, so nothing says I gotta go and support it.

26. smartest thing said about this so far,kinda like the traditional/street rod thing vs.whatever, sooner or later we gotta kinda get along to remain strong overall!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Face it kids. We're hoodlums.

Seriously though, if you present yourself in a respectful way with a car that fits, modified or not, you rarely have issues. I see plenty of early style hotrods there the last 2 years and expect to see a few this year. Enjoy it for what it is. Being nice and respectful goes a long way. Remember that most of these guys (old retirees in fact) are volunteers. Work with that mindset and no troubles. Hershey should not be missed and that has so much less to do with the AACA than it does the people that make it happen...we who attend and sell/buy. My .02.

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I hope that this may prevent all the whining that occurred here last year after the show when they enforced their rules (it's their show and not yours) You have been warned. I was there in 84 and they had a restored 60 Impala towed because it was not 25 years old.

Don't like the rules...stay home. If you can play by the rules... have fun and I hope you find some neat stuff. There will be lots of hot rod parts there.

29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

any one have pix of this car ??

and The only thing I can see by them doing/saying this is not to attck "hot Rods" ,,but more likely to keep the CRAP out,,you have all the total bastardized Rats and so called hot rods,,that I think are the issue and may be taking down ,,good old fashion hot rod with them

30. paintcan54

paintcan54

What he said.