Register now to get rid of these ads!

Barn Finds and Murphy's Law

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Sep 4, 2009.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

<sigh>

One type of HAMB thread: "Wow, look at these basket cases just rusting into the ground, and the guy won't sell them." Standard reply: "Man, if I could get my hands on them, I would build me something for sure." Even though there is more rust than car and a big old oak tree is growing up out of the middle of it.

Another type of HAMB thread: "Wow, look at this barn find!" Standard reply: "Shoot, I am never lucky enough to find me something like that!" Even though the barn was a shed that collapsed on the car about 50 years before.

So here I have had two cars still in the barn (well, shipping container) in the classifieds for six months and NOTHING.

Hey, they are not 3 window coupes, but then I am not looking for a lot of money, either.

I guess it is Murphy's Law at work.

Perhaps if I put them in the middle of a field, with a barbed wire fence, a sign that says 'no way I am selling these cars', and an oak tree for good measure (or maybe at the bottom of a cliff) then the potential buyers will be lining up for sure.

2. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

3. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

So ,

why didn't you go ahead and put the cars in this ad ,

Thats what this thread is all about anyway ,

RIGHT ?

If not it sure fills like it to me............

But ,Then again you made me look............

4. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Link-a-dinka-ding-dong?

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I did not do that for two reasons:

First, it is probably against the rules.

Second, this post is about me ranting.

I am sure that the same thing could be said for many of the cars in the HAMB listings.

It seems sometimes that people only want that which is unobtainable. A car for sale in the classifieds? Nah, too easy. Some rusty hulk in the river at the bottom of a cliff? Now we're talking!!!!! :)

6. AaronP

AaronP
    from Hooker, OK

Apples to Apples

7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

See my other response..................

8. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Nope, just a rant. Totally frustrated, I am.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't recall that I have seen the adds but a few reasons for cars not drawing interest can be.

Way too far and the hell and gone off the beaten path to make it affordable to ship them or go after them.

Price is out of line, I've seen several adds that almost scream " hey rubes let me take your money for this overpriced piece."

The car just flat isn't one that anyone who is looking wants right now.

That particular body style is so rare or off the wall that there are no pieces available for it new or from the guys who peddle rusty pieces and panels.

There isn't enough there for 99% of the guys to actually be able to build a car out of it.

The add is extremely poorly written, I have seen this more than anything on adds that never seem to get things sold in all media forms. Just check any Little Nickle paper or Craigslist in the country.

Photos are so bad that you can't really see what the guy is trying to sell. Why do guys think that a photo taken with a cell phone at dusk in a shed is good for selling a car that they want top dollar for?

These are all observations that I have make when looking at adds here, on other forums, on Craigslist and on the starting prices on Ebay that some guys post hoping someone will just have to have what they are pushing and not care about condition or price.

I'd say go back and read your own add like you had never seen it before and then decide if it is well written and accurate, gives the location of the vehicle (town not address) An add with "car is in Texas" is about as vague as you can get, but you get the idea.
    Are the photos clear and do they actually show the whole vehicles. Is there a link to an album that shows more photos that show the details of the vehicle?
    Is the price realistic or is it one of those "well they go for that on Ebay" prices?
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. Ok, since this is a rant, I'll join in. I'm not trying to be a jerk... I'm just adding my 2 cents to the discussion.

So here's my perspective after looking at your add...

A pair of 1949 dodge 4 doors for $3000... in a bad economy...... Pretty much answers your question.

I have found that in a free market economy like ours, that if something isn't selling, I either have not done a proper job of advertising it or I am asking too much. I think your advertising is fine.

I'm just sayin'...

11. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

If you read the ad you'll see the asking price is $2000 for both cars.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might have better luck if you rolled them out of the container, washed them and took some photos where someone could actually see the cars. And no I didn't look for your add before I posted what I wrote before as that was just a general observation from looking at adds on the net for the past nine years and reading adds in those throw away add papers for the past 40 years.

They look like pretty decent cars for what they are and should be worth the asking price but no one can tell what they actually look like when they are shown sitting in a box with X# of years of dust on them.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

13. Well... I stand corrected. I have to admit I didn't read much past the $3000 original price at the top and the pictures to see the two reduced prices. Once again... If it isn't selling... It's telling you something....

14. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yep, fair enough, but this is not about 'how to sell a car' it is about how ironic things can be. No one is washing or otherwise marketing the various hulks we see in the many junkyard threads. Maybe all of the lustful comments on these things is just BS, and no one really wants them, either.

15. Oh man, your ranting because people won't buy your cars? I hate to tell ya, but they are 4 door models of a pretty non desired car. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but like you said "they are not 3W coupes".

Show me a thread on here of a 49 Dodge 4 door that someone found in a field, yard, barn or whatever and people are just going crazy over it.

16. ltex old iron

ltex old iron
    BANNED

Show me a thread on here of a 49 Dodge 4 door that someone found in a field, yard, barn or whatever and people are just going crazy over it.

x2

i found a 52 chevy 4 door this week that been ina barn many years and is in nice shape, i just havent listed it on here as another barn find because its not something more desired and people wouldnt have much to say about it as they do with all these early coupes and what not

17. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

I have a 51 chevy 2 door in the classifieds started at 4500 now its 3000 I am going to bump it down to 2500 later hey its a bad economy I need the money I am going to lose a few bucks but thats the life we live messing with rods and customs sure wish it was a 32 3 window I would put it under my barn and start a thread and we could all oogle over it , dont get me wrong I feel your pain but it is our economy right now .

18. ha ha ha.

19. If I had 2 49 Dodge 4 door cars here on my lot, I'd probably be happy if someone hauled them off for free.

I'm not trying to piss in your cheerio's but be realistic about things. Perhaps no one's biting because no one wants them?

It's kinda like the 49 Hudson 4 door parts car I had. I sent it to the crusher....

20. You have a point to a certain extent. I can have a few desirable vehicles out front for sale priced to sell. But what do folks want to do? They want to look out back or demand that i price my 55 chev or my sons chevell cars that are not for sale. Times are tight right now its a buyers market so in order to sell a off the wall car it has to be under priced. I listed a 59 sta wgn on Ebay $200.00 starting bid no reserve. Not one single bid. Car bodies are up to$130.oo a ton here . Im gonna strip the stainless copper and heater core ect. will scrap out over $300.00 . Then everyone will see it mashed and scream we should save those cars. I orginally bought it for a parts car for a 59 ranchero sold the ranchero. Dont need or want it anymore. If i scrap it i will put the money into something else.Any way at the present time it is of no greater value to anyone other than the scrap man.:eek: OldWolf

Attached Files: