Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cadillac in 32 Ford, info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BC32Sedan, Sep 4, 2009.

1. BC32Sedan

BC32Sedan

I want to install a 51 Cadillac motor in my 32 Ford sedan. Keep my 39 ford trans and the stock center cross member. Will I need to modify my firewall? Can I run the stock fan? I would like to keep the car traditional looking. I know this is not a uncommon set up. But found no info. I was going to run a 48 flathead but sold it with my roadster. Flatheads and parts are expensive and I love the look of the early Cadillac Motor.

Thank
    BC

2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I don't have the answers but I want to do the same swap so I'm anxiously awaiting the responses.

3. r8odecay

r8odecay

Don't fool yourself into thinking 331 Cad parts aren't expensive as well.

4. BC32Sedan

BC32Sedan

I know, nothing is cheap. But I will run the Cadillac motor stock and save for HP parts later.
    Thanks
    BC

5. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Speedway sells a trans adaptor for that caddy too a ford 3 spd. Therefore the motor is going to set where it is with the stock k member. Are you running a hood? Might have to kick the radiator and grille shell out a little and lengthen the hood a inch or so. I haven't saw many hoods with caddy and olds motors.

6. rtsidejohnny

rtsidejohnny

I'm putting a 331 into my 5 window right now. If the sedan is the same as the 5 window you will have to trim the bottom off the fire wall to make the fan clear. With a flat fire wall there should be JUST enough room to use the stock fan and pulley with the motor back as far as the dist will allow. Mine is only mocked up but it all seams to work. Oh, and my original fire wall had been cut in half already so I just filled in the bottom, in line with the top and eased it for the bell housing. Hope this helps. Love to see old caddy motors!

7. BC32Sedan

BC32Sedan

I would like to run the hood top with no side panels. I was hoping to use the stock one I have. But may have to make a longer one and move the radiator forward. Will I need to modify my stock firewall? Will the motor clear my F1 steering box?
    Thanks
    BC

8. Have you got the motor? Can you measure it?

9. BC32Sedan

BC32Sedan

No motor yet. That would be the smart thing to do.

10. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Look at the roadster Pat Gahnal built doesn't he have an early Cad in it? I think you can find it somewhere on here.

11. slapshot

slapshot
    from Belgium

I believe this is what you want to see , this is a European 32 sedan (same dimensions from the firewall forward ,same frame as the US 32 sedan ) with a 331 connected to the 39 toploader , original K-member .
    It is not my car , I saw it at the Hayride (UK show) this year . He was not running a fan but there was still some room between the water pump pulley and the radiator .
    I think you can see this in my picture .
    hope it helps .
    Slapshot ,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Give Dirty 2 a pm he might be able to help.

13. In 61 I trimed the bottom of the firewall a little, used Hurst mts up front and Offy adaptor to 8 bolt early trans with otherwise stock drive train. Couldnt use a fan, eng set to low like SBCs do, fan wouldnt clear the lower rad hose. Hood sides cleared the 331 exhaust manifolds but wont clear the 365 and 390 manifolds. Had to dent the steering col tube a little too to clear exhaust. BTW, used 2 left side "center dump" style ex. Have one pic somewhere, will see if I can get it to post. Have a 390 in my Deuce roadster, moved way back against the Brookville flat fw. Needed it way back to clear the 5 belt Beatty drive on the 471. Good Luck, Dave

14. yeah but there are other ways to skin cats - Here is a link to a site with engine dimensions - pretty good info

http://www.carnut.com/specs/engdim.html

Nevermind - YOUR ENGINE HAS x's!!!!!!

15. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I can get the dimensions if you need. I have a 51 short block with the hydro tranny attached sitting in the garage . I can put on the heads also. I can tell you the a bbc is about the same length and width as the 331. remember part of the bell housing is cast into the early blocks.

Todd

16. BC32Sedan

BC32Sedan

Got the motor. It looks like I will have to move the radiator forward. I think it will also clear the steering box. Thanks, I would appreciate any more pics of Cadillac 331 in 32 Ford. What is a 51 Trans worth?

BC

17. 31modelo

31modelo

That is a Hydro I believe in the 51 you can make those manual shift and go like stink. You can't beat those trans up. Just an opinion I'd do everything to move the motor back, better weight dist for the car and moving the grill and all forward you'll lose the proportoins and no stock hood as you had said. just an opinion

18. FNG777

FNG777
    from mass.

I'm doing the same install, '49 CAD 331 into a '32 Roadster. Tight fit with the fan in place, but you can easily fit a "slim" electric fan with no problem.

Also using the two left side exhaust manifolds, if not the stock right side manifold bumps against the firewall and won't fit without cutting. The rest of the install is pretty straight forward. Pat at Wilcap can help with tranny adapters.

I'm looking for a 2 2's setup for a 331 CAD if anyone has one.