Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mc Culloch Super Charger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dudley32, Sep 4, 2009.

1. dudley32

dudley32

A friend of mine has a chance to pick up a flathead V-8 McCulloch Super Charger.We haven't seen the unit yet...It was built in 1938..Guy wants around $3000 for it...I don't know what its worth or how to tell if it's functional...any help would be greatly appreciated...D32

2. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Make sure that it is complete. If it's like this one it will be damn near impossible to find things like the generator mount and belt tension ideler.

3. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

For that price, make sure all the parts are there. Blower, intake, belt tightener, bottom pulley and whatever else. Seems like the price may be alittle high but you can't get them at jegs. They don't put out alot of boost but look neat. I have one on the shelf but have not got around to putting it on yet.

Neal

4. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

5. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

Do you have the crank pulley for this unit Tommy?

6. dudley32

dudley32

Thanks Guys..this really helps....any more info..??

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

No I don't but Norm Frick of Flatheads Forever was making multiple belt pulleys for flatheads. That was my plan. I sold this unit less the carbs, generator and Y adapter on Ebay for 3500 a few years ago. So at that time there were 2 guys that wanted it that bad. Who knows what anything is worth. Especially in today's fearful economy.

8. hscott

hscott

Kind of odd looking,but cool looking at the same time. Are these real rare to find? Scott

9. BarneyO

BarneyO
    from here

Re the crank pulley - Size is kinda crucial. Too small and you wont get the boost you hope for and too large you can over rev the thing.
    Dont know for sure about the 30's model but the VR57 I have was very sensitive to over revving. Its internal oil pump piston could float and starve the unit VERY quickly.

10. casper

casper

11. There are several different variations of the early McCulloch supercharger for the flathead. The model numbers usually have the year and the intended application. For instance, you might have a model number 38F, which would be a 1938 version for a Ford. A later version could have a model number such as 39 M intended for a Mercury. The later versions have a special intake manifold that is specially designed for the McCulloch blower. The earliest versions use a standard 1938 Ford V8-85 intake. The one pictured above is a late version. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    The earliest versions also mounted the generator on the head, about halfway back. The special mounting bracket is extremely rare.<o:p></o:p>
    The crank pulley is special with 3 or 4 grooves depending on model. The 3 groove water pump pulleys are also difficult to find, but you can get by with the 2 groove model 79 truck water pumps. <o:p></o:p>