Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Frame Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 63CadGuy, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Just wondering if there are differences in Model A frames, like is a Roadster frame any different then a Sedan frame or will they all work on any body. Sorry for the dumb question.

2. flatford39

flatford39

Roadster & coupes have different body mounting bracket locations than two doors or pick ups. All the short door cars had a different location from the long door cars. Other than that the front fender mounting bracket is different on a 28 29 from a 30 31 also.

3. abonecoupe31

abonecoupe31
    from Michigan

actually there is a big difference on the front x-member between 28-29 and 30-31...and this affects the relationship of the radiator to the rest of the height of the body. early A's have a straight accross the top mounting pad... late A's have a 3/16" recess....use a early frame on a late A and you will find that the hood goes uphill.

I foundsome 4 door frames have an added mount rivited to the rear of the rails...but for the most part a Model A frame is a Model A frame....I mounted my 28 Woodie to my grandfather's 30 Tudor chassis with no changes other than a 3/16" shim under the radiator mounting pads...

I'm pretty much a Model A guru (junk collector...7 in da collection)...and if I don't have an answer to your question I can probably get the right answer...

4. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Abonecoupe31 is correct and also the spring packs were differrent from the roadsters, coupes and 2doors.
    I think the only real difference that could get you in trouble would be trying to mount a 30/31 body on a 28/29 frame or a 28/29 body on a 30/31 frame, as the radiator and hood would slant one way or the other.
    I think other than that it should work

5. Great, thanks for the responses! Exactly what I needed to know.

6. someone should post pictures of a 28/29 and 30/31 front crossmembers to show the slight difference. the `29 i'm building now will have a `30 frame under it , so i could snap a picture of no one else does

7. Grumpyoldman

Grumpyoldman

Check this out

http://www.wescottsauto.com/Tech/frame_specs.html

<table width="90%" bgcolor="#eeead3" border="1" bordercolor="#ffffff" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top" align="left"><td colspan="3" class="bo2index" height="23">1926-27 Model T Frame Dimensions</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="left"> <td colspan="3" class="bo2index" height="23">28-31 Model A Frame Dimensions </td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="left"> <td colspan="3" class="bo2index" height="23">Model A Hiboy on 1932 Frame, Dimensions</td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="left"> <td colspan="3" class="bo2index" height="23">1932 Ford Frame Dimensions </td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="left"> <td colspan="3" class="bo2index" height="24">1933-34 Ford Passenger Car Frame Dimensions
    </td> </tr> <tr valign="top" align="left"> <td colspan="3" class="bo2index" height="25">1935-40 Ford Car, 1935-41 Ford Pickup Frame Dimensions</td></tr></tbody></table>

8. Canuck

Canuck

Watch out for those Westcott drawings, there are errors on the Model A drawing.

Canadian frames don't have a serial number stamped in them and may have holes for the steering box punched out on the passenger side for frames that were shipped to Australia and England.

Canuck

9. 29pu

29pu

10. Thanks everyone for the info!

11. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Great info, Thanks, now I got to go check my frame.