Register now to get rid of these ads!

Child seat in 63 truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gunk, Sep 2, 2009.

1. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

Has anybody put a child seat in an older car? or installed a latch system?Is this a dumb idea?

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Just make sure the seat belt anchors are stout and you'll have no problems.

3. Didn't require child seats when I had children. But I'm guessing that if you have a child that is child seat age it is probably a good idea.

Can't you just hold it in with a seat belt?

4. joebuick

joebuick

I haven't done it yet but I'm going to have to soon

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beats the hell out of letting the rug rat bounce off the dash and windshield.
    I'm with Pasadenahortod in that make sure that the anchor for the seat belts are stout and installed well. We put strips of 3 in flatbar across below the floorboards on the 48 so that the stress was spread out if they ever had to be put to the test. I don't trust the bolts and flatwasher thing in the older trucks.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

6. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let's examine what you are working with:

1. Does the truck at least have lap belts?
    2. Front or rear facing car seat?
    3. Age & weight & height of the child?
    4. Do not secure the car seat to the bolts on the floor,
    5. Use the car seats where the belt only holds the car seat to the bench with a belt that does not come in contact with the child.
    6. Same goes for booster seats, they already have at least a four point harness built in so make sure the truck belt only holds the seat in place.

7. gorilla

gorilla
    from Idaho

I've had to figure a way to do it in every car I have had... it can be a pain depending on th car... right now his seat in the shoebox is stout , but I haven't added a permanent anchor system , it's hooked via some burly cargo straps to the floor... I will add something more final when i pull the seats out for upholstery , but it's as safe as anything right now.

8. Hellfish

Hellfish

My twin daughters are now over 1 1/2 years old. They've been riding in my 59 since they were 4 months old. I installed lap belts in the back and made sure they were anchored properly according to the belt manufacturer's instructions. I then strapped their car seats in according to the lap belt instructions that came with the seats. No problem. Easy as pie. and safe. Trust me, my wife wouldn't let me leave the house with the girls if she thought they were in danger.

9. F&J

F&J

I put child seats in my 63 suburban and my 66 pickup, both chevys.

I put in middle lap belts so the kid seat sat in the middle.

The only possible issue is by trying to use OEM belts from a newer car/truck, that many times the short end of the belt won't be long enough to come up through the seats.

and you need to be able to cinch that belt real tight to the bottom of the child seat.

10. gunk

gunk
    from phoenix

Great response, thanks. My daughter is 4 years old, weighs maybe 40 pounds. The truck currently has no belts. I will look into a new booster seat with harness and better reinforcement. I just want to do this right.

11. Hellfish

Hellfish

When they were still a few months old...

[​IMG]

12. kraka138

kraka138

man i remember riding in the bed of my dads truck when i was like 5 or 6.....do that nowadays and youll be in dfs bs up to your eyelids

13. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Aww hell, when i was that age i just bounced off the dash, i didnt see a set of seat belts 'till i was 12 or so. makes 'em tough, dont want 'em to grow up to be honda driving pussies

14. malkintent

malkintent

use after market anchors
    use thick like 1/4 inch or 3/16 washers or bigger plates
    put them in the middle,
    that should keep them from playing jumping beans!!

15. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I rode from Michigan to socal on the package tray in a 57 ford more door 6cyl three on the tree. 1963.
    Over engineer it and sleep well.

16. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

My son is 35 pounds and his seat is using the lap belt system through the body of the car seat.this thing does not move!

17. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

29 sedan. Lap belt. Snug as a bug

Attached Files:

18. greazhonkey

greazhonkey

I belt my kid's car seats into my 64 cad with the lap belts. There is a lot of steel around them so I am not too worried.

19. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

My son's car seat spends more time in my model a that it does in my so-called daily driver. It is held in with a relular lap belt. It works just fine. If the seat belt anchors are good enough for an adult to be safe, then a kid will be too.

20. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

When I was about 2 yrs old I would stand up in the passenger seat of dad's '33 Chevy and the German Shepard sitting between us was my grab handle. Of course, that was before seatbelt laws and child protective services and lawsuit nutjobs.

21. candyman

candyman

No problem with my 66 chevy truck. I have 3 point belts. Works no different than my late models.

oh yeah... my son is 5

22. Hellfish

Hellfish

I like all the posts from people saying "I survived childhood without wearing a seat belt!" Of course you did, or you wouldn't be posting! :D All those kids that didn't because they hit the dash, or flew out a window, or bounced out of the pickup bed, aren't around to post. :D

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

My Dad flew out of my Grandparent's '36 fordoor when the door flew open in a turn when he was about 7 or 8. Unbelieveable that he wasn't hurt.

I have the same setup has Hellfish, but with one less kid. :D