Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Makes A Blower Whine...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 345 DeSoto, Sep 2, 2009.

1. oops777

oops777
    from phx

i laughed so hard my wife left the kitchen to see why.

2. Drilling a couple of holes about 1/8" dia in each of the lower teeth of the bottom crank pulley and running the belt extra tight and it will whine to your hearts content

3. Tim morrison

Tim morrison

WHATS THE PROBLEM???
    I you have a blower the louder the better. That like having a great sound system and not turning it on because it makes noise.

4. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Air escaping from the belt going over the cogged pulleys is where the majority of the whine comes from, so the tighter the belt, the tighter the "squeeze" per say......many pulleys are cross-drilled to let that air escape.

Detroit Diesels are so noisy by design that ya really can't hear the blower portion of it...haha! Like squirrel said, gears are helical, not straight...

5. hotflint

hotflint

Helical gears make noise too. So do hypoid gears, havent you ever heard a rearend whine?

Its a combination of the belts and the gears, although in the old days, or even now I suppose some smaller blowers are driven with V-belts, I have also seen chain, all these whine as well. It may also be the interface of the lobes coming together.

6. Damn-it Linda it's suck not blow !!! >>>>.

7. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The whine we love is caused by belt tension and the toothed belt trapping air between the pulley and the belt. It can be reduced (but why) by drilling strategic holes in the pulleys to let the air escape. I have a nostalgia type blower runing V belts and it does not whine, only a little gear noise.

8. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

You let her out of the kitchen??

But seriously, it must come from the belt because i'm runnin a tunnel ram on my big block with a Gilmer Belt Drive and it sounds just like a blower.

9. NVRA #84

NVRA #84

Here's a tread talking about Blower whine with some sexual deviates injecting their humor. I was wondering when you would jump in. You are qualified in both areas, you run a blower and are a deviate (Not a bad thing). And tell your rotors it's Italian-American not WOP. See you at the village of the HAMBed next week.

10. hcar

hcar
    from Santa Ynez

11. I bet its your electric fan and your 4 bars

12. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great question. Can only assume it's because they're compensating for something. Same reason ricers put giant wings on their cars. This would be an excellent topic for some HAMBer's PhD psychology dissertation.

13. Yep, with my vbelt drive I do have some noise from the blower and getting off the gas at speed you can hear a bit of whine if you listen for it from the rotors but nothing compared to what a gilmer belt will create. I think it was mentioned but to reduce the whine you drill series of holes in the valleys of the pulleys.

14. Tony

Tony

Another thing to think about is the type of blower. A roots style blower spins much less RPM than a centrifugal blower.
    So hearing whine, noise or that oh so present whistle from a centrifugal is expected. They are much like a turbo in that to create boost, they must be spun at very high RPM's..

That's why on a lot of the later model cars running one it's pretty much normal to hear a whistle..

15. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

ArtGeco, THAT's a stitch! "Don't pay her." OLD jokes are worth repeating!

16. sixpac

sixpac
    from Courtenay

hold on to the ears so you can steer

17. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

D: all ther above

18. Dukeofbluz

Dukeofbluz

Heres a video of the 1st time I started mine, I don't think it has as much whine as most. At the time it was under driven with used pulleys and belt. Now it has 1 new pulley,new belt and is over driven. Its a little louder but I assume just because it spins faster. I always run my belt with 1" play side to side.

Duke

Keep in mind this was the 1st time started with the blower, I broke the cam in with my old intake and carb so its running very rich.

19. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Duke, love it!

here's a clip from when I first got my little blown Olds together

you can hear gears and rotors turning in there, but no whine with the V belt drive

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  20. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

It's both the air rushing and some belts.

In a previous life I owned a supercharged 4 cam Jap V8 in a sleeper car I used to drive around when touring around Australia. It ran a small roots blower with a 6Pk serpentine belt (no teeth). In this clip below I was shooting straight into the intake and as you can hear there is a lot of whine.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fcTOUNfPMsU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fcTOUNfPMsU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

According to the research I did (I could be wrong because I'm not a physisist) on the same topic as this thread the sound is the air rushing past the rotors at greater than the speed of sound creating little sonic booms (believe it or not). That's why you will always get a whine of some sort no matter what sort of drive system you use (belts or gears) as per the video above.

Oddly enough it's a similar reason the toothed belts make a similar sound (even when they are not powering a supercharger (as in the fake blower guy and the tunnel ram guy with the Gilmer belt). The air escaping between the belt is forced out at such a speed that it makes a sound similar to when the neck of a balloon is pinched as you let air out and in some cases it might even be a small sonic boom (e.g. at higher revs) but most of the noise is the air pulse "booms".

21. squirrel

squirrel

I don't believe that. At 1000 rpm my blower whines...the blower is running about the same speed as the engine...that's about 16 revs per second, which is about 20 ft per second at the outer edge of the rotors, and 20 ft per second is about 1/50th of the speed of sound.

22. Herdez

Herdez

I like the v-belts, 2 whomps makes a good whistle to all the chicks at the bus stop!! A good fling makes for a good slap on the ass too. ;)

23. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

That puts an end to that theory!

24. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1E6IfdUJn6s&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1E6IfdUJn6s&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

25. Lil John

Lil John

I don't care who you are that's some funny shit

26. Oh dude that made me laugh so hard!

27. makes me happy i have a nice quiet gear driven 871, no belts or chains on my 460.

28. DOugG

DOugG
    from mich

Years ago when I bought my 33 willys it had a fake blower setup on it.I put it on my 57 chevy 2 carbs on top doing nothing and one inside working. No rotors no gears.
    The tighter I made the belt the louder it would wine.
    So its the belts teeth cutting the gear and trapped air.

But if your standing at the top end of a 1/4 mile with 2 alcohol cars commin at ya thats all blower and hosepower.

29. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc

the gears , bearings and the fact that the blower is nothing more then a large cast aluminum box that ressinates sounds .

30. I figure telling her she can't spend any more money this pay check...Oh, wait, that is what causes the wife to whine, shit, never mind!