Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dont wanna get raped for radiator work Michigan HAMBers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Von Rigg Fink, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I have my 5000 series ford tractor radiator that needs its filler neck removed, and a side tank filler installed
    any of you lower east michigan HAMBers know of some one who doesnt want to finance their home with my stinkin little repair?:D

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Good luck with that. Ok J/K... you might try Southgate radiator. It looks like the old school type place that wants this type of work but I've not delt with them. Kool Radiator used to be good too, but sadly many have been bought up by "imported" owners if ya get my drift, and price be damned, they don't get it.

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I thought of Pming you after seeing you on another thread about radiators..

and knowing your lurking around in my hood:D

I am going to take it up to a place in wyandotte to have them look at it..it is scary to me because i know its a simple thing, (but not simple enough for me to do right) i dont have the tallent or stuff to do it.
    and this shit starts at 78$ an hour.plus the part i need.so im hopeful they will go easy on me, and it wont be too hard for them to accomplish in less than an hour

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Don't be surprised if you get charged the whole hour rate even if he just takes 45 minutes to do the job. That would be normal.

5. you cheap basterd, what, you want them to pay you for using them?? J/K
    had a guy down here that wanted 100.00 to re weld a few seems on one for me and I'm like, yeah right dick head, you want me to pay your truck note too while I'm at it.
    Two days later his doors were locked and building was empty.

6. Reds 29

Reds 29

We are a distance from each other but Bushey's radiator shop in Mt. Pleasant flushed out, changed the top outlet, capped the original filler and pressure tested one for $65 just the other day. I called them and they have a branch in Midland but that's still a good distance from you. They have done similar work for me before and never charged more than the $65. They had it done the next day, too.
    Red

7. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Superior radiator in Pontiac/Waterford area I think.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

^ Mt Clemens ^

You'll spend more in gas driving around then paying the local price and just doing it.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I knew it was somewhere south of here!!!

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Oh im sure..no doubt about it..they make this shit look like childs play..than get you to pay for tuition:eek::D

nahh im sure its worth it..not out to cut their balls off:eek:

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Like...what are you trying ta say?..im frugal?..well..ive never been so insulted in all my life:D

Ahh hell im gonna bite the bullet..im at their mercy, just thought some local guy would be a bit more user friendy:rolleyes::D

every one in this area is hurting so bad for work..i guess i can help ease the pain some with my little chickenshit job.
    a bunch of little shops have closed their doors around here, its getting tuff to find good places to do small shit like this

12. post a picture of what you need done. bet someone can walk you through doing it yourself and then you can spend the money saved on beer!

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

its pretty typical set up..take the top filler neck off and fill the hole..put a 90 elbow into the back side of the tank off to one side with provision for capping it..

Im sure with time and practice i could learn to do it..I just dont wanna learn on this one..and i dont feel like fucking up my good radiator to learn it..let alone pressure testing it..
    thats a lesson for some other day..unless i have no choice..
    im not really that cheap..just was really looking for a good reference from some SE Mich boys (or girls) as to who they trust with this type of thing

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well if it were me, and trust was the thing, I would suck it up and drive the one hour each way to Superior Radiator in Mt Clemens from here in Livonia.....or I would try to talk my Dad into transporting it on his time and dime.:D Easy to do since he is retired BUT you live so much further south I can't imagine it would be worth your trouble.

Over 101,000 miles on the custom made AL radiator they built for Big Olds in May of 2002 adn not one issue what so ever. Had it made and installed in a matter of days. Others on here have not been so lucky with the time frame stated and delivered.

15. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey rigg, why don't you venture up to my place one evening. I'm out in my shop from 6:30 to 9pm just about every night and all weekend as well. Might do ya some good.

Jocko

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Bushey has an outlet in Saginaw that does good work for a reasonable price. Took my Model T gas tank, fixed a leak, boiled it out, pressure tested it and sealed it for $85.

Frank

17. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Find a Mexican shop in el downtown, get your price up front. Not only will it be done right, but reasonable too.

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I wish i got up that way more Denise.
    but with their working hours and mine..it would never happen, or it would take too long to get it all to work out, for the next step i need to take on my build.
    Guess I will suck it up , and pay this guy his hourly rate. Im sure his work will be fine, Ive used him before for company stuff and never had any problems.
    I got some stuff up for sale in the classifieds, hopefully they will sell to off set the pain:D

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I should do that, been meaning to do that.
    friken life and work sure has a way of getting in the way of fun sometimes
    I shot you a Pm..Im probably not all that far from you

20. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Believe it or not i did conciter this and still may look into it. I used to live in an area of Detroit that was largely populated by Mexican families and their establishments.
    I had a Nice Mexican run exhaust shop In the big D , do a complete exhaust system on a Ranger pick up I modified many years back, no one else would do the exhaust system without the catilitic converters...and it was a V8 swap..they did it, and did a great job, and great price
    while i sat on a bench reading all their low rider rags:cool:

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Thanks to Danimal, I took his PM'ed advice and went to Pete's radiator in Adrian
    $60 bucks dropped off at 9:30..done at 3pm.
    Now thats what im talking about..very reasonable, and nice people.
    I go out that way tomorrow to pick it up.
    got work to do in that area again so it worked out great.

I will put up pictures after i get it

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Great info to have and I'm glad you posted it here publicly and shared it. I've never understodd the whole PM the info to someone when they've asked for the info publicly and others are watching to see as well. PLUS the info will go into the achives and when someone searches on the HAMB for radiator info in Michigan this thread will come up. :cool:

23. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the benefits of living in Texas in general and Houstone in particular. I take tires to Mexican shops because they will actually repair a tire and let you be on your way instead of trying to hook you into buying four new ones and lying about not being able to repair your tire, which he then sells to the Mexican guy.

24. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I Pm'ed him before i put up this thread so he was just repling back to my PM..he probaby hasent seen this thread.;)
    But I did want to include my fellow HAMBers on this subject because alot of guys are building A's and will benifit from some of the ways i delt with things, or so I hope they will. That was my reason for being here. among messing with some of you too

the ford 5000 tractor radiator (and there are other threads i have put up about this) ony needs a few changes made to be A-SBC friendy..or really any other engine combo for that matter.( in lets and out lets can always be moved..but the core is a better fit in my opinion than the mustang core for the 28-9 shell particularly)
    The 5000 ford tractor radiator has the coorect inlet and out let orentation, the only thing i felt needed to be moved was the filler neck, so its kinda done ala 32 ford radiator fill neck, under the hood, Radiator new 230 bucks shipped..fill neck moved 60 bucks..good deal in my book..and its a 3 core tractor radiator, so im sure it was designed to take the heat..

I will post pictures tomorrow morning so all can be the judge of the work, and the application for their selfs

25. sure is amazing that a ford tractor radiator is hundreds cheaper that car or truck.

26. shock

shock

why not just do it yourself ? propane and solder are cheap.

27. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

because i havent ever done it before, dont have the neck i needed..dont have a way to pressure test it.didnt have the brass to cover the hole,.and for 60 bucks..why bother

im also trying to help keep what few Businesses alive around here that we have to do stuff like this..i am in michigan after all:mad:

28. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Also A&B radiator in Ann Arbor, or Lake's Radiator in Ypsilanti, by Depot town.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Here she is..

Attached Files: