Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to ship light doors & trunk lid from

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Play400, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Play400

Play400

LONG BEACH, MS 39560 to Neche, ND 58265. Not familiar with carriers between the 2 and the fellow I want to buy from is new to the area.

2. Spity

Spity

Grey hound is pretty affordable if you dont mind picking it up or having droped off at their bus terminal. OR you can try something like uship.com where carriers bid to get the best rates.

3. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Look into FEDEX, you'd be surprised at how affordable they can be.

4. Play400

Play400

These are doors and trunk off a 55 Pontiac. Light 1's but I would think because of the size they would have to go as truck freight but not sure

5. cornernfool

cornernfool

Send BenD on the HAMB a PM and see what he says. He's hauling a door and hood for me this weekend. And Greyhound can't take anything over 48"x80".

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Big Dog. (Greyhound). Don't even need to wrap them up.

7. millersgarage

millersgarage

I have used Greyhound with big items, and have had no problems. The only hassle is it is not door to door, you have to go to the terminal.
    There is usually a large amount of big car parts waiting to go when I drop something off.

8. milkweed

milkweed
    from SLC UT

i got 2 36 3 window doors from new jersey to salt lake and it cost 180.00

9. 31ACoupe

31ACoupe

go with the hound dog, best deal around. I just wrap the doors, hoods, fenders, in sheet plastic and put on the address label with phone number and off it goes.

10. Fenders

Fenders

The jerks at Greyhound in Worcester Mass told me items had to be wrapped / packaged, I got the impression they had no clue what they were talking about.

Greyhound should get some people on the phone who are not ignorant about their service.

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Sure, some people actually make up their own rules as they go along! Shit fire, if you run into one of those, wrap it up.
    Big Dog don't charge extra for insurance up to $100, so right off you save a couple of bucks. But be nice, talk sweet to the girl on the night shift. My daughter has worked for them for years, and if you come off with an attitude, look out. Maybe she gave somebody in Mass lessons:eek:.

If your Big Dog has parcel delivery service, no need to call them. I've seen mounted truck tires, two or three wheels tied together with rope, fenders, bumpers, motorcycles, etc. If it's scroungy/greasy, they won''t take it because it'll rub off on the other customer's luggage. There's a big chart on restricted items for shipping, no bombs, machine guns, gas cans, but nothing about unwrapped items. Put address on the item, take it in, somebody will weigh it, put a bus bill on it and take your money. Size limit is if it will fit under the bus with the baggage and not too heavy, there is a weight limit.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  12. i had a door shipped from california to alabama on greyhound for only $68. the whole door, glass, trim and door panel. it is a 50 buick front door- heavy. it was a little bent up around the edges but, it wasnt packed very well either. but i was still stoked.

13. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Be wary of Greyhound, I had a nose shipped in from Utah on a bus, and it got mangled on the way.

Greyhound told me to piss up a rope, and the seller disavowed all knowledge of the packaging or damage.

It's about 2/3's the cost of truck freight, just be aware that they are not as kind to their cargo as common carriers are, and insurance is not always reliable with them.

In my case, the driver told them that's how it looked when he put it in the cargo hold (which may have been true), but the seller said otherwise. Regardless, I was the one that got hosed, as my nose piece was mangled, and nobody was going to do anything about it.

It was fixable, but what should have been a two day job turned into a two week job in-transit.

14. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

15. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

Normally this is right up my alley, and the MS part is, but if it's north of St. Paul I really don't have any business being up there. If it will go Greyhound then I'm sure cost wise that would be the best for you.

Ben