Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Another pinstriping legend passes............

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by safariknut, Sep 1, 2009.

1. RIP Robert,"Bobbo" Dunn 1931-2009.Just got the info from a friend a couple hours ago.No details available yet but he had been having some health issues lately.With Bobbo you either loved him or despised him but you HAD to respect his great talent.Rest in peace my brother of the brush!
    Ray Smith

2. Magic

Magic

Bobbo will truelly be missed he was a true legend and inovator and worked along side most of the best there ever was.

He was like a brother to me and will be deeply missed

3. Got to meet him several years ago, and we traded panels.
    He was definitely one of a kind.

Godspeed Bobbo.

4. Mr.J

Mr.J
    from NJ

I got this sad news from Joey Madden this afternoon. What a talented man! I am proud to say that I knew him.

5. metalman

metalman

True, we lost a legend,even if we use to joke he was a legend in his own mind. I sure many of you that knew him knows were the joke came from. Regardless, I've lost a good friend and truly a inspiration to me in my own art. I'm going to miss him coming by the shop to hang out. He was a carature, always. Glad I got to know him in the 15 years or so he lived here. RIP my friend.

6. Von Franco

Von Franco

R.I.P. Bobbo Your ol pal Franco..........................

7. Big Tony

Big Tony

Anyone have pics of his work... Guess I was unfortunate to know his work. Since he was in his seventy's, he must have had a real passion for it. RIP

8. Big Tony

Big Tony

9. HotLines

HotLines

10. Did not know him personallly but I knew and admired his work. It was bold colorful and it really told who the artist is.

"Bobbo, say hey to Roth for all of us."

Unfortunatley a lot of us are getting up in age and we're are just starting this middle age thing (me) and having serious health probs. To all you youngins', better keep a big eye on your health. NOW!

Mikey

11. Lil John

Lil John

I had the pleasure of being in HIS company on several occasions...He was and always be an insperation to me... RIP

12. LXTURBO2000

LXTURBO2000
    from NEW MEXICO

damm, this really hits me hard. ive spent many hours at his place in tijeras,nm learning to stripe. he's been a huge insperation to me to learn to stripe. i've been going to call him the last few days but diddnt now im sorry that i put it off. RIP good friend, john

13. Fly'n Kolors

Fly'n Kolors

I was pinstriping in Albq. at a HOG rally in the early 90's and Bobbo came up and offered any help or supplies and support I might need while I was in town. Now that's rare for a local to offer an out of town striper any support. "CLASS ACT, FUNNY GUY, AWESOME ARTIST, BROTHER OF THE BRUSH." Now he's layin' down lines with Dutch and Roth on the BIG MAN UPSTAIRS hot rods! Bobbo came by my booth at many shows through the years and was always friendly and helpful. It was my honor to know the man. True inspiration. RIP Bobbo.

14. DHP NM

DHP NM
    from NM

I only got to meet him earlier this year at the supernationals. Got the bad news yesterday. RIP

15. You know you're a legend when you have a signature brush and BOBBO had one.

He demonstrated a prototype to me several years ago. He started with traditional striping, then scroll striping, then lettered a word or two in script and then signed the striping all with the same brush and looked up with that famous smile and sparkle in his eye - didn't have to say a word. I found him to be gracious and very forthcoming that day. He shared a few of his endless stories and pontificated on the craft, the industry, the future and the cast of characters - of which he certainly was one. RIP, striper.

16. Mad Mark

Mad Mark

Read alot of his posts on the Auto Art discussion board. Heard he could be pretty gruff sometimes, but he gave me some good tips a few times.

17. jay

jay

I will always cherish the time that i got to spend with Bobbo while he was teaching me to stripe..he was a character! i will miss him.. RIP Bobbo

18. Never met the man but, he cast a giant shadow on the world of pinstriping. He did all the "Good Work" and will be sorely missed by those who did know him and by those that admired his talent.

My sincerest condolences to his family and friends...

Joel

19. Track-T

Track-T

A viewing for Bobbo will be held on Wednesday, Sept 9th from 5-7pm at Direct Funeral Service in Albuquerque. The address is 2919 4th St. NW, Albuquerque, NM.

Funeral services are yet to be determined.

A memorial is being planned for Tuesday, Sept 8th. A car hood will be custom painted Bobbo style for anyone to sign it. Also, panels from anybody that wants to send one will be on display. This will be part of a permanent display.

Details on where to send the panels and the location of the car hood (memorial) will be posted soon.

The Albuquerque Journal will be publishing an obituary this Sunday, Sept. 6th. http://obits.abqjournal.com/

20. LXTURBO2000

LXTURBO2000
    from NEW MEXICO

thanks for the information

21. skullhat

skullhat

rip..................didnt know him, but just checked out his website, wow, what a versitile talent. sure he'll be missed by many

skull

22. Wet Paint

Wet Paint
    from Iowa

I just saw Bobbo the summer at the Goodguys Loveland car show while I was striping the show....I could feel someone over my shoulder making snide comments, just to get me to flinch, and when I looked up it could only be Bobbo. I had to show him my modification to his "Bobbo" brush that Mack had made because it was one of his first prototypes the handle was real small so I cut it off, drilled it out, added a stud and screwed it into my lazer lines handle, he thought that was pretty creative. It was great seeing him and he and his artwork will be truly missed!!! RIP.

Stripe on,

Hetz

23. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

I just found this thread by happenstance and I'm quite taken back.

Years ago, I started a website for pinstripers back after the official demise of the PINHEAD organization and before Auto Art got their message board up. Bobbo was a great help to me giving me all kinds of advice and tips, both on striping and the site in general. He would call me and I'd call him; both with some of the most ridiculous points and reasons; proving to me just how much he loved the art and helping those like myself who were just starting out. We spoke many times on the phone, but I never got to meet him face to face and for that, I'm saddened.

Godspeed Bobbo.

Vance

24. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Sorry to hear it. Pinstriping is an art, a craft and, I think, a gift. HIS work, though, helps ensure that Bobo will NOT be forgotten!

In the end, isn't that what we ALL want: To have made the world a better place in some way? Sounds as though Bobo contributed something UNIQUE of himself.

R.I.P.

25. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I met bobbo a few years ago when he was teaching my son a few things about striping. All around great guy and will be missed.

26. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

I met bobbo a few years ago when he was teaching my son a few things about striping. All around great guy and will be missed.

27. Sanford&Son

Sanford&Son
    from Visalia,Ca

Bobbo, was originally from my home town Visalia,CA. and was a talented sign painter and striper. He will be greatly missed and my condolences go out to his Family and Close friends. His art work that he left behind will live forever!

Attached Files:

28. Track-T

Track-T

29. dmw56

dmw56

I had the pleasure of meeting Bobbo 6 years ago at a Car Show in Edgewood, NM. He has standing next to my 68 Mustang Fastback and asked me who did the stripes because he thought they were very good. Little did I know at the time just who he was and what a major compliment I just recieved.

Bobbo was a fixture at most major car shows in the area bringing his 60 Starliner to most at some he would do pinstriping.

RIP Bobbo!