Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 235 is overheating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by truckedup 28, Sep 2, 2009.

1. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

I havn't figured out why. It ran fine for the first 1000 miles or so. I put in a new radiater and now a new water pump but still gets hot. Does anyone else know something i may not. Its not a headgasket either....Thanks Jones

2. squirrel

squirrel

It's summer now.

did you check that the thermostat is working? sometimes they go bad.

3. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

ya frogot to metion that too. put a new one of those in saturday

4. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

at temp are both upper and lower hoses hot? if they are it might need to burp(steam bubble)
    run it with the cap off and make sure the a/f is flowing...let it burp over , fill it up and cap it.
    if ones hot and the other isnt, bad thermostat.

5. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

sat in shop and ran for 30 min didnt over heat went for a drive and it over heated. then stoped let it cool down refilled it and ran fine.

6. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If it is OK now it was air bound [air bubble].

7. Screamin' Metal

Screamin' Metal
    from Oklahoma

Water lock.....a big airbubble in your waterjacket......shouldn't have anymore trouble.......

8. I'm no expert on over heating problems but you could have a faulty head gasket or cracked head (or possibly block which is really unlikely but happens just the same) . Sometimes, (though seldom), a bad head gasket or cracked head/block does not put a whole lot of water in the oil and the oil looks good and clean. (As you know, water in the oil makes the oil turn milky colored). In any case, the leak/crack does in fact allow enough exhaust gas inside the water jacket area which in turn heats the water over and above normal operating parameters. Subsequently, this causes an over heating problem. You might try Bars Leak or some similar dependable stop leak to see if the heating problems subsides temporarily (or in some very very rare cases, permanently). If if does, you have a an internal fluid leak somewhere in the system. Also, you could test the radiator for traces of exhaust gas (carbon monoxide) if you have a repair shop near by that has a radiator gases emission test device. As you know, this is not good news and I hope I am wrong.

Later
    Specs

9. unless you have bubbles in the radiator the chances of a head gasket being the problem is low. no bubbles no gases? if your having to add coolant head gasket could be laking on exhaust side but that usually shows up as vapor trail out the exhaust pipe. i would replace thermostat again as it could be defective. when its idleing turn on heater fan and see if that helps. check heater hoses to make sure they are flowing, both should be warm.

10. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

ganna take head off and see there is a leak some were ,after the drive the fluid was low. also its smokes a lil more than normal....jones

11. screwtheman

screwtheman

I had the same problem. I changed the head gasket, removed the freeze plugs and fished all the crap out of the jacket, reverse flushed it many times, tried different radiator caps and thermostats, analyzed the water for exhaust gas, fiddled with the timing... finally I gave up and pulled the motor for another 235.

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Do you have a heater hooked to it? If so are the heater core, hoses, or the fitting going into the thermostat housing clogged. Reason is that the heater core is used to bypass the thermostat while warming up. Watch the gauge and see what it does while warming up. If it spikes high then goes down then this a real possibility.

13. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

geting headgasket tommarow. I'll see what it does after this. I've had the heater hooked up and have unhooked it to. no change. Also raised the radiater thinking it mite be a shade lower than the motor didn't change there either....Thanks for all the info so far......Jones