Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problem with a 283

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by taildragger_57, Sep 2, 2009.

1. taildragger_57

taildragger_57

Hey folks I am trying to get my Chevy 283 started and having problems. It ran fine with a two barrel on it, then I put a Edelbrock Torker manifold and a Q-jet on. When I started it it reved to the moon, so I double checked everything couldn't figure it out so I borrowed a 600 cfm edelbrock put it on and it is still doing the same thing.:confused: Any advice? Thanks Craig

2. georgedombeck

georgedombeck

sucking air from someplace?

3. taildragger_57

taildragger_57

All vacume lines plugged and new gasket.

4. 52pickup

52pickup
    from Tucson, Az

I'm going to assume you looked down the carb to make sure that the butterflies are closed? Is the throttle linkage connected?

5. 69fury

69fury

double check your timing and throttle stop, but i'll buy you a coke if it's not a vacuum leak. check front and rear end seals (use rtv instead of the end gaskets) double check the carb gasket matches up, then check for smoke/other oil consumption, because it might be an internal leak.

has the intake ever been milled? check for warp with machinist's edge?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yuppers, it sound like you have created a big time vacuum leak somewhere. Either a gasket slipped, the intake ports on the manifold don't match the gaskets and or heads. Or the gasket under the carb doesn't match up. did you plug the hole in the back of the carb (Qjet) that the fitting for the power brakes normally goes into.

The only other thing I can think of is that you may have something in the linkage holding the throttle open. The difference between the two and four barrels may be causing problems there. Try disconnecting the linkage from the carb and starting it and see what goes.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

7. taildragger_57

taildragger_57

Thanks for your help shure enough adaptor plate was the wrong style looks like I owe a few Cokes.

8. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I think the Torker is an upper RPM manifold???