Register now to get rid of these ads!

How far does the fan need to be ?????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Double Caddy, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

I am getting ready to mount the radiator in my big block build . What do most of you guys use for clearance between the fan and radiator ? I was planning for 1/2 an inch.

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im thinking 1/2" is a bit close..blades of the fan can flex some ,,and engine mounts can allow some movement..you might be ok..I would try for at least 3/4" or an inch if you have it to give, just for that WTF moment

3. squirrel

squirrel

an inch would be nice, if it's more you'd probably want a shroud, but you probably want a shroud anyways. The more room you have to work the less cussing you'll do when you have to change a water pump or whatever.

4. I routenly go 1". I take 2 pieces of 1/2" plywood the size of the Rad core and tape them to it. More is fine but I make 1" my minimum.
    The Wizzard

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

another good point on the water pump..let alone changing the fan at some point..what a drag scraping your knuckles on the Radiator core while turning the wrench:mad:..and having the bolt head gouge your Radaitor:(

6. Blu Bro

Blu Bro
    from Dixie

Close as possable.......without hitting

7. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

As usual, when squirrel says something, case closed.

8. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

Room is not a problem in the caddy. so it looks like 1 inch it is. I want to get it running first . then I will worry about a shroud. I am using a really big fan. The motor came out of an old 70's rv . if I need to I most diffentlly make a shoud for it because I plan to drive the shit out of it.:D its been parked in the driveway way too long. thanks for the info.

Todd

9. sixdogs

sixdogs
    BANNED
    from C

I'd go witht the same inch as others but add my current build has an electric fan and I don't know why I didn't use one years earlier. I really like it.

10. cadillac nut

cadillac nut

make sure you have clearence so u can take the bolts off the fan without removing the rad. unless you want to remove it to do the water pump ( someday ) .. my $ .01 , im cheap....

11. GlenC

GlenC

Make sure you have plenty of room to REPLACE THE FAN BELT! A friend has a nice 34 coupe, and every time he has to replace the belt, he has to remove the radiator, which means removing the hood and grille, which means removing the front guards.....

All to replace a bloody $10 fan belt!

Cheers, Glen.

12. Use studs and nuts on the water pump/fan pulley for fan retainment.
    Blue LocTite on the threads where they go into the pump hub.

Keep your eyes open for a 1/2" x 9/16" ratcheting box wrench at the swap meets.
    They work well with fan nuts & bolts.

You'll be putting together a tool box for the car anyway.

I've ended up with a nice junkyard tool box by buying individual items although the 3/8" drive sockets are new.

Most difficult thing to find is a good ball pein hammer.

I can't believe how people abuse hammers.

Winner to date, ball pein with 18" re-bar handle welded on....

13. Most times you can get a V-belt into a tight area by dropping one end between a couple of fan blades then rotating the fan by hand letting the other blades pass through the big loop.

14. Double Caddy

Double Caddy
    from virginia

heres a picture of what i am doing

Attached Files:

15. Good to see your using a mechanical fan, I hate electric ones and will do firewall work not to use them. I can't help but notice the core support you built is restricting some of the Core. You probably have a reason for doing that but it does look like you could have gone outside the actual core with the tubing, more air flow. Be sure to close off everything outside the Rad to force all the air coming through the Grill to go through the Core. Above and Below not just side to side.
    The Wizzard