Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed with NJ registration snafu!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwhead, Sep 1, 2009.

1. So I helped a friend sell a 55 TBird last week and it sold in two days to a fella in NJ. $$$$ have been wired to us and the buyer calls today and says that the state won't let him register the car since we do not have a registration from here. While we have had the car for twenty years it has never been registered and we don't have any of the old registrations from the original owner. We have only driven the car with a shop plate here in Vt when needed.
    Surely this has happend to someone else. Is there a go around on this to fix it? Any ideas??????
    Walt

2. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

He may be screwed in NJ, I would register it in Vt under your name then he can go to NJ MV with a clear title (registration) OR, find another title for a 55 T-bird and use that...

3. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Yep...N.J. DMV does NOT want to hear anything. Period.
    I have never, not ONCE, EVER, had this state NOT give me a hassle with any out of state title,...the chances without one are probably non-existant...
    Best bet IMO is what Eric has said here, get it titled in another state, then switch it.
    I can tell you, however, that they seem to be really iffy about titles from states without an actual year, even if the vin obviously shows it...
    Also, they don't seem to take a liking to mileage exemption...
    These things will all send you to a notary, or, at the least, a pencil tracing of the vin, title or not...

New Jersey is a VERY effective criminal enterprise.

4. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

There ya go, also this is proof that this kind of shit goes on Statewide since Marc lives in South Jersey and I live in North Jersey....You could try to date a DMV employee or get a job there...hahaha. GOOD LUCK!

5. Rossodino34

Rossodino34

You keep writing "registration"....does the car have title? If the car has a title and no registration that is ok. Fill out a "CO-7" application title form (you can down load it) and present it to the DMV agency. Yes, NJ is very difficult with transferable registrations, but not impossible. If no document of any form is available then NJ will send you pack'in.

6. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

A '55 'bird without a title?

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Jersey will only accept Titles,,not reggies

8. F&J

F&J

sure, especially in my state. (connecticut) Titles were not issued here till 1959.

9. In my home state(New Hampshire) any vehicle older than 15 years does Not need a title.Use to be 10 years but they recently changed it.

10. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

What i would do is call the Vt. DMV and have them run the vin # to see if they have any record of it. If they don't, then just use a titling agency to get a new title. I used one from Alabama years ago. Cost a couple hundred bucks, but worth it. If the DMV does have record of it, find out who it's titled to. Then first, you'll have to deal with who it's titled to, then go from there. It's worth a shot.

11. Paul2748

Paul2748

They will accept registrations if the car came from a non-title state. They did for me.

12. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I don't think they do anymore, but...the problem is, it really depends ( I suspect, anyway...) on who you know/what kind of mood they're in...ya' gotta get the right person, or forget it.

Still, if they did ( and I don't know when this was exactly your refering to ) I can't imagine them doing it nowadays, considering the b.s. I've gone through just over the last couple years even WITH a goddamn TITLE!
    Good Luck to you, I hope you get it sorted...

13. I think if you go to NJ with a relatively current registration, it would be okay, but an old one, no.

The last car we sold to New Jersey my buddy had to get a notarized reciept made and I think the guy still ended up having a buddy get a PA title on it before he went back to NJ. I had no idea they were so bad there, you'd think a state as broke as they are would be glad to take your money as long as you're not telling them you paid $50 for a $40,000 car.

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Since when ??? Tried to Title a old Panhead from NY that had a Reggie ( no titles til 73 ) and they said no way,,This was a while back

15. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Here in Wi. I had a 26-T title so I bought a 27-T kit from Speedway to build. The car is done so I sent all the paper work in with 326 bucks for taxes and liec. Now they want copies of all the bills I have for the build and they want it inspected. 5 years ago I built a 23-T and had no problems with the D.O.T. Guess it does dipend on who takes care of your paper work there. Tried taking to the woman from hell at the D.O.T. WITH NO LUCK,

16. I uaed Titles Unlimited.net. twenty years ago for my roadster. you get a letter stating they are a non title state and a 3 month regestration and al. tag.
    back then was $150.00

17. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

I had a few cars from NYS that has no titles ..just a reg the only thing I needed was a pencil tracing of the VIN with the reg.