Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods >>>1935 Ford Coupe: An Idiots Guide To Buiding A Hot Rod<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Sep 1, 2009.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

1935 Ford Coupe: An Idiots Guide To Buiding A Hot Rod

Alright I have had this thing for a couple weeks and I have been trying to familiarize myself with the ins and outs before I sink my teeth in. The back story of how I got this car is this.

A couple months ago my wife started pressing on me hard about when we were going to start a family. So after pushing it off as long as I could, I really don't have a reason anymore not to. So the first thing that came to my mind was not maternity insurance or names for that matter. It was, there is no way that Davina (my wife) is getting in my '26 T Roadster when she is pregnant. I know that sounds like some really weak shit, but in that car even the smallest of accidents can be pretty shitty. So I started looking around for someone that would potentially trade my Roadster for a '35-'36 Ford coupe preferably a 5 window. I didn't get much back but when I seen 1oldrat's classified ad for this '35 I immediately fell for it and PM'd him looking for a trade. He was intersted but he was in the same boat, young family and the car did not suit his needs. So after a day or two of deliberation he passed on it.

I then found a '36 that was really cool on the HAMB but the day before I planned on getting it the seller backed out and decided that they were going to keep it which I completely understand. By this time I have pretty much built the car and drove it to next year's Roundup in my head. So I am jonesing for a '35-'36 coupe and my heart is set. I ask my wife about potentially getting the one from 1oldrat without selling my '26 first, and I make sure my case is air tight before asking. As usual, she's always cool and tells me that if we can swing it there is no reason to pass on it as long as the '26 does in fact get sold at some point. The only other catch was that I had to move my family starting process from the first of the year to this September which is fine but a little nerve racking but that's probably too much info anyways.

Back to the car. I strike up an offer for 1oldrat and he accepted it which financially makes more sense then trading for the car as I had originally planned. The cool thing is that he lives about 1.5 hours from Junior who happened to be storing the '32 5 Window shell that I got off Plowboy a couple months ago. So to say the least, going to pick these cars up was going to be the trip that dreams were made of. Perhaps not yours but certainly mine. And so the adventure began.....

Hopefully this thread will show that even a self proclaimed idiot can build something cool if they ask the right questions and take full use of every tool at their disposal. I don't have a ton of tools, but I have the HAMB and I have made some really cool friends over the last couple years that have inspired me. I know every car does not start off like this, some nicer some not, but I think the general rule will remain the same. This one I am seeing through to the end.

My plans are to only do the essentials for right now so that I can be driving the car as soon as possible. I'm going to shoot for a Mid 50's High School Hot Rod or something that could be built by the average guy, because that's where my talent as far as car build is. I am just the average guy with a craftsman set of tools a no english wheel. I have a welder but I certainly wouldn't say that I am Steve Seller's or Bass when I use it.

--- 4" Drop Axle
    --- Reversed Eyes on the front and rear springs
    --- '79 4 Bolt Main SBC
    ---New Intake from a '59 Chevy
    ---New Fan Blade
    ---Points Distributor
    ---4bbl Rochester Carb
    ---Oil Bath Air Cleaner modified to accept paper filter
    ---Exhaust Manifolds from early Chevy for mounting generator
    ---Short Water Pump

--- '39 Early Ford tranny hooked up by the way of an Offy adapter
    --- Firestone White Walls (7.50's out back and 5.50's up front)
    --- New Rubber seals where needed
    --- New Head Lamp Lenses and reflectors
    --- Need to find a stock seat
    --- Early 50's Pontiac Steering Wheel
    --- New Wheel Cylinders and M/C
    --- New Brake Lines as needed
    --- New Fuel Lines as needed
    --- Patching Firewall and painting it black
    --- Painting engine
    --- Shackles for rear suspension
    --- Seat Belts for the Misses
    --- '35 wheels replaced with '36-'39 wheels (3.5" up front and 4" out back)

There are a bunch of things that I would like to address but that is what I have on my mind right now. I know that the SBC is an engine that people love to hate but since I am trying to get it on the road without spending the money it takes to rebuild a Olds I am sticking with it. I have a really clean 303 Olds that I would love to one day throw in but the more I look at a nice built 265 or 283 the more I keep thinking that I might just build one of those one day instead. But as I said, that's a long ways down the road. I hope to have the car driving by Mid October but I have been known underestimate the time required to put a car together so we'll see.

Here it is, my 1935 Ford Deluxe 5 Window Coupe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little 000 Steel Wool and some Never Dull and the right side shined up!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even though it's a new Chevy engine I would like the look to match the rest of the car. I'm not trying to fool anybody and say it's an early engine but I would like to complete the vibe. I through the Oil Bath off my '51 Chrysler to see what it would look like. Pair that with 7 fin Corvette Covers and I think it'll clean up nice and will look pretty cool too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that's the new project. I am taking the Axle out tonight so that I can be sent to Jordan (5WBomber) so he can work his magic. I'll keep you guys updated!!!

2. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

OH NO!! Did you not notice that car is minus a hubcab and a few other items....BETTER SHIP IT TO ME IN OKLAHOMA.....I'll try to be happy with it eventhough it's not a complete car! Congrats! Great car....I was looking for one as well a few months back but found a 48 chevy coupe that was garaged for 50 yrs and it is rock solid, I'm afraid the 35 or 36 will be my next project... :D

3. Dude. Is there a word that means "better than awesome"? If so, I would use it here.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I believe "fantastical" would be a notch higher. Not sure it's deserved but thanks man!!! I'm pretty stoked.

5. That car will look great all rubbed out wth some tastefull stripping. Can't wait to see it lowered.

Look for a vintage Vette or Mallory tacj drive dizzy. They pop up all the time on flea-bay. Also, rams horns would look bitchin, too.

[​IMG]

6. 31whitey

31whitey

Seriously....In the time u wrote that "manifesto" there....

You and Beavis, I mean Boobie could have had that thing stripped down to the chassis....

Im so do for an ass kickin.....

7. .manny

.manny

looks like a nice ride congrats on that and the soon to be new addition

8. Brandi

Brandi

Love the car. I much prefer a '35 5w, to their '36 counterparts.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Chris, I just started looking at dizzys. There are a few on ebay including a Vintage Mallory Tach Drive Dual Point Distributor. Not familiar with the dual point thing. The ram horns would look good but I think they might interfere with the steering box but I'll check in a couple minuts.

Whitey, bite your lip. I was at work when I wrote that "manifesto" so no work was wasted....well at least none on the car. Boobie is busy but I am going out in two shakes of a lambs tail to get the front end out.

10. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Man I really dig that car. If you're interested in trading for a Model A let me know. Good luck with it. Rick.

11. wow, im jealous!!!

12. Uptown83

Uptown83

Cool car. I have a 35 5w coupe as well. Not as good as yours but pretty easy to fix. Mine has a later flathead and juice breaks on it already. I plan to restore mine the way it is and just drop it =) with some fender skirts. GL

13. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Not so sure about the 'self proclaimed idiot' remark.If you can convince your good lady to let you get another project without selling the other,in my book,that makes you a clever s.o.b.!
    Great,solid project.Like your plans for it.Good luck with the build!

14. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

WOW, real nice find! Good looking car. Nothing wrong with a Chevy small block. Parts everywhere. Reliable. Workhorse. You did well guy. :)
    Perley

15. camargma

camargma

that is a pretty sweet car! cant wait to see what you do with it! :)

16. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Wow,That is one really nice car to start with and pretty complete. It even still has solid floors from the pics.

Your list looks good. That motor will look just fine in there till you can fund up the motor of your dreams.

I too would like to run a Hemi one day in my coupe. But for us poor folk it will be be Belley Button SBC's till then.

I will be following this one.

Try to get as far along as you can before the kids show up.

When they are new borns it is hard to even get to the shop. As you wont be getting much sleep for the first three months.

Been there and have 2 myself.

Good luck to ya bro.

17. 21tat

21tat

That's a beauty!!

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Wow do I envy you!!!!!

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Whats that faded red stuff on the outside of that rat rod?:p

20. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67
    from J Town

The car looks bitchin' as she sits! Lowering it with some steelies would look even cooler.
    I'd leave the paint as is. It's got such character.I LOVE IT!

Good luck with your new addition. Now go and make that other "new addition" so your wife will be so thrilled that she'll let you buy all the parts needed to complete your ride!

21. That's a really beautiful car!! Can't wait to see how it turnes out!!
    Maybe I should rethink the family plans of my wife too ;-)

22. bonesy

bonesy

That's such a cool project. I love your plans, spot on!

23. TAYLOR

TAYLOR
    from DALLAS,GA.

Cool coupe , keep us posted on you build.

24. you have the car, sometimes that's half the battle. now get to work, on the car and the kid...

25. As I was writing this I noticed the tags on your thread and just about shit...

Seriously, that's a cool-ass project with realistic expectations...is this going to be a build thread, or are you starting another one for that with another long-ass intro??:rolleyes::)

26. madpole

madpole

great looking car, and it sounds like you have a good plan for what you want. looking forward to seeing it on the road. congratulations!!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Wow!! Thanks guys for all the compliments. I guess am glad I grabbed it when I did even though it sat in the HAMB classifieds for a couple months.

As for the condition of the car, there is ZERO rust to be found on the car. I took a light a scoped everywhere I possibly could and the most I could come up with is a dime size spot in the back sheet metal under the spare tire. I will say that more then likely if I were to strip the car down to metal I would find a fare amount of bondo. But not the kind that needs holes to be drilled though the sheet metal but just where the car was dinged and perhaps hit in the rear. If you look at the image of the rear you can see where the work gets a little less the professional. But like I said, that's really not an issue because I don't plan on painting it an I don't plan on stripping it. I do plan however to see ho shiny I can get the existing paint but I just want a car with character or at least something I don't have to worry about getting a scratch in it. A Rat Rod like Dreddy said!!! Hahaha!!! Fucker.

I just got back from out in the garage and I pulled the front suspension out so I can take it to the shop tomorrow and press the kingpins out and start cleaning everything up. Took some pics but they are uploading onto photobucket right now so I'll add those later.

Again, thanks for the encouragement.

28. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

I like the shade of red...its allot like your Vagina.

29. I can't say how excited I am about this car and you building it. I know you will do us all very proud. I think you should know we will be there for you and steer you away from the horse shit rat rod shit that you have a tendency to lean towards.

I am excited to follow this and hope to be a part of building one really cool hot rod.

BloodyKnuckles

30. Ghost28

Ghost28

I don't think I have ever planned ahead like you and your wife. But if planning ahead can get me a car like that I'm all for it. I agree the small block will get you on the road quick, and I am a die hard chevy small block fanatic. But in the future a flat head would look so cool in there.:)...John

Attached Files: