Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the Most Absurd Claim you've heard at a Car Show, Drag Race, Cruise Night, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaveyJonez, Mar 5, 2009.

1. belair

belair

i'd like to think that awesome cars are chick magnets, but sometimes it seems like they work better as retard magnets....

No truer words, there, zombiesarebad

2. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

we were cruising at the beach and parked at the view point when a guy walked up to my buddy and said - i used to have a 32 just like this when i was younger - my friend says this is a model a - the guy says no ,i had a 32 exactly like this one and i know a modela when i see one. my buddy says well i should sell this and make a bunch of money then--- gee thanks buddy -- funny part is he even still has modela grille shell and not a duece.

3. lentz automotive

lentz automotive

and you always like the one---- boy this car will be great when its finished[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and you say it is

4. hippie6

hippie6

I recently overheard a guy with a non-HAMB friendly truck at a car show tell somebody that "those wheels are the last one that Boyd made before he died". They might have been the last design but I doubt that too.

5. Up at the Newport Hill Climb a few years ago I overheard some young guys talking while standing in front of a very nice Maverick, done up like a flip nosed "gasser". The know it all, in the bunch says, "Why would anybody spend this much money on a fuckin Ford"? The guys were obviously a little narrow minded.
    Phil

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  6. damn................

Attached Files:

7. Just got back from a bike meet, but there were a couple of cars there too.....
    overheard some Street Rodder telling another guy...You wanna go to a bitchin car show, you need to go to Antioch Anti Billet....

:rolleyes:

8. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

good one here, one of the trick things on my off topic car is the filler for the washer fluid, the cap and filler neck are inside of the cowl, with a line that runs to an aluminum tank hidden on the firewall in the car. all you can see when the cowl cover is on and hood open, is the cap and just a little of the neck. everyone wants to know how i got that tank to fit up in there, lots of stuff in that space but no tank. I've had people look at it and swear that it came factory that way, that their same car they had in the eighties had the same thing, that i just put an aluminum cap on instead of the plastic. idiots. I got in an arguement with a dumbass who had a car there with a big wing and a huge stereo, he didn't believe it was for washer fluid, so i pulled him aside and told him shhhhhhhh!! it's really for liquid nitrous oxide, he got this look on his face like OH OK!! and now he knew a secret. took everything I had to keep from busting up laughing. every time he would walk by he would do the thing like SHHHHHHHH!! dumbass!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  9. DragginWagon

DragginWagon
    from Tyler,Tx.

"I remember these 70 Camaros when they came out with theses rare 502s in them"!

10. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That could just be a confused old timer. Didn’t the 396 quietly become a 402 in 1970? The cars were still badged “396" though, and I don’t think they were particularly rare.

-Dave

11. "My smallblock Camaro can outrun a Hyabusa on the 1/4 mile".

12. 40chevythrowensparks

40chevythrowensparks

13. Jarred Hodges

Jarred Hodges

my cavalier has a turbo and runs 7.90's in the 1/8. A stock 94 silverado destroyed it twice. A friend on mine has a circle track car and was hitting the rev limiter. The dumbass behind us said fill the front tires with water because tractors do it. We tried to explain that wheels and tires were balanced and water would throw the tires out of balance but he didn't believe us. He also had a 90 something civic that he beat the hell out of. He claimed it could get to 110 in roughly an 1/8 mile of road. He had it at the track and he ran an 11 something in the 1/8. It was funny. There is a guy in the diesel class that knows nothing about cars or trucks. Some of the others guys were making up fake parts and he believed them. The next day he admitted to calling the parts store and asking for a kneuter valve. I have more of these

14. MXmaniac

MXmaniac
    from Denton, TX

"I know this guy that has a Nova with the slant-6 and a powerglide two-stroke transmission. That thing is badass."

15. Arkansas Tom

Arkansas Tom
    BANNED
    from Phoenix

hahahahhahahahahahaha

16. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Sure there's a 3/4 cam. guy walks into the parts store asks for a 3/4 cam. They offer to sell him a good edelbrock, crane or whatever and he insists on nothing but a true 3/4 cam so they pull something dusty off the shelf that hasn't been selling and mark it down 25%. the guy goes home happy with a dusty 307 chevy cam.

17. 666Irish

666Irish

I am loving this thread!

At a cruise in not too long ago with my '68 T-bird 429. Parked next to me is a glass cobra kit with a 427 crate motor in it. Strolling down the line of cars is some 19 year old tool with his hat on crooked and his hand firmly grasping his 16 year old girlfriends ass (My guess is so that she couldn't escape). The conversation:

Her: So that one said '427', and this one says '429', what does that mean?

Him: It means that this one is faster.

Her: Oooooh, really? How do you know?

Him: (with a look of disgust on his face) Because this one is '2' bigger!!

Since then, my T-birds nickname has been "2 bigger"

18. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

My old man used to say there was a lot you can tell about a kid and the direction he is headed in life by how he wears his cap...an if it's crooked...well, you get the idea... :p

19. A Rodder

A Rodder

20. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

Picked up a ST-10 trans for my daughter's Trans Am - just mild bullshit from the guy ~ " you can't trust those internet decoders". Gave him the money and took the trans home. Double checked the decode; showed "4" (74 or 84?) Hmm. VIN build number showed St. Louis assy (uh oh...) Seems I am now in possession of a Corvette tranny - probably make the car too fast for the kid to drive now regardless of engine!

21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Working out in the garage last week and a "expert Mopar Mechanic" from somewhere on our street stopped by to tell me he could do any factory warranty work I needed cheap. "Been a Factory Mopar man for over 20 years" and proceeded to tell me about at least 15 dealerships he has worked at after talking about working on Ferraris, Indy cars, formula 1 cars, two Hemi powered drag boats he had and a Corvette he built for his mother-in-law that he rolled being stupid.

Than he proceeded to look under the rear of my '64 and after examining the 8 3/4 Mopar axle asked why I put a Ford rear under the car.

One of those guys that has to fill every sentence with the names of everybody who ever made any parts and talk about how he knows them all well.

Sometimes ya just have to get that blank look and say "oh really?"

22. "One of those guys that has to fill every sentence with the names of everybody who ever made any parts and talk about how he knows them all well."

Man, ther must be one of those guys, EVERYWHERE! :D

23. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

I have so many of these from the racetrack that I could write a fuggin' book.....

In relation to my '55.....

One I always get: "There's no way this thing runs 10's on pump gas!"

Or

"This thing must be tubbed. There's no way I could fit a 10.5 tire under MINE without cutting it up!"

24. Has anyone else here gotten "you could trade this is for cash for clunkers you know, get $4000!"..................... bastards...

-Dean

25. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Why did every 272 y block suddenly become a thunderbird motor ,once it had finned covers .By my reconing , there must have been more birds produced than Fords . Ssheesh !

26. I know a guy who has one just like yours....But his is really nice and it's fast

27. I had a weenie in the parts store tell everyone within earshot that a small block chevy didn't need to be balanced and could spin up to 10 grand if you could supply it with enough fuel to get it there. This was all due to a design fluke that gives these engines 'perfect harmonics'.
    There was another guy I used to run into at show and shines with his stock 69 mustang coupe, which was a little scruffy. When I said he should dress it up a little with some mags and a little chrome under the hood, he said he'd like to, but didn't want to depreciate the value of the car since he had run the vin and found out it was a Yenko. So yes I have actually seen AND touched probably the rarest car in the world, the one and only Yenko mustang.
    When I lived on a busy street and used to work on my car outside it used to attract a lot of guys that wanted to 'talk cars', which was actually kind of cool most times. One day when a guy that was especially full of bs was leaving, my buddy says to me "You ever notice that you never meet anyone who had the second fastest car in town?" How true.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  28. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Back in the 70's I use to desert race (Baja1000, Mint400, Barstow etc), Well when we built the cars we use to weld stubs to the rear downbars to mount spare shocks to in case we broke one during a run (very common),it was conveinent. Well we were at some race standing around waiting to get teched and this so-called expert drags his freind over to explain that we had mounted the shocks there to "dampen frame flex". After that we would fittings to the frame and A-N plumb them going noware just to give these "experts" somthing to talk about.

29. While waiting to get inside a condo project, a guy saw me in my Auto Club sweatshirt and began telling me his story.
    He once had a Pontiac GP with a 455 sportin' a 3/4" race cam, "all factory stock" he claimed. He went over 150 mph on Martin Luther King Dr. and T-boned a car crossing the intersection. He said the car was built so strong that he drove it back home after the accident, "the bumper was just bent".

30. John Denich

John Denich

I grew up close to Oshawa Ont, its a GM town! Well I am at a buddys house and the Q-Jet that on my 51 had an issue with the floats sticking...I would just tap it and the flooding would stop! I was young and too lazy to fix it! Well my buddy say's hey you should have my brother look at your car.."he has worked at GM for 20 years he knows everything about those old Chevys" Mind you the guy he is talking about has never had a nice car, and drives the biggest piece of shit van you have ever seen! So this so called GM expert comes out looks at my 51 Chevy and says cool you kept the "ORIGINAL 350" in it, HUH...Then he says whats the problem I tell him the float is sticking, and I am just tapping and it works fine for awhile! He says ya that is common for those older "TWO BARRELS" HUH, he then says what tranny you got in this, I say its a turbo 350, he says WOW a "CORVETTE TRANS" was that special ordered with this car...HUH!!!! So at this point I just want to get the hell out of there, I close the hoop and drive away, I come to find out later from my Dads buddy, who is a car guy, has very cool cars, and know his shit but works at GM that this so called expert installs SEAT BELTS and LIGHT BULBS.......WOW