Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best way to original paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 46fatford, Aug 31, 2009.

1. My car has been painted some where along the way a really crappy candy green over a gold base. It looks like it was painted in a hurricane in the dark. Anyway, the paint is coming off in some places and it appears my car was originally black lacquer. what would be the best way to remove the candy and gold base to get to the black? i thought about sanding, but is there another easier way? I would really like to see the car in it's original black and drive it like that for awhile. I can't stand the current green. Any suggestions?
    Matt

2. you could try wiping it off with gun wash?It would be alot of work though. And the gun wash might eat the laquer away also. If you sanded it you would have to power polish after and there is a good chance of breaking through.

3. Koz

Koz

I've had good luck stripping with a non solvent based stripper. This would be the MEK based stuff that will strip only one coat at a time. Hopefully the Lacquer is fairly old and well "set". The problem may arise in that If they sanded well before shooting the gold/green they could be through the lacquer in places. Try an inconspicuous spot first. Try a Sherwin Williams or Bejamin Moore store as residential strippers are much more forgiving than Automotive strippers. Check the components and remember MEK will not strip lacquer.

Good luck!

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Most likely when it was painted over it was sanded through the original.

5. If the paint's coming off, did they sand it at all?

6. chaotic

chaotic

If it's a bad paint job and is coming off in spots. Try taking it to the car wash. Spray really close to it and at an angle. That old of lacquer will not look very good and will not hold up to sanding and buffing. I would sand it down and spray it a flat or suede for just a cheap driver type. Good luck.

7. flatford39

flatford39

You need to go to bare metal. Too many problems here. Start sanding.

8. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

There is no short cuts .Some times your better off biting the bullet ,Sand and repaint youll be a lot happier and won't take as long

9. skullhat

skullhat

strip it to metal with media blast is the way to go.

it is very unllikely that you are gonna be able to save the original paint.

skull