Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Ford Woody-How Much and are they desireable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spooky, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Spooky

Spooky

Howza All-

I have a friend who has a complete 1950 Ford Woody that he found in Montana. No engine or trans, but that is only a hiccup in this project.

It has solid floors and all of the instrumentation is there.

He is now stricken with Prostate cancer and wants to sell it off.

How much can one get for a project like this?

It's no Sportsman but a '50 Woody has gotta have some clout, right?

Personally I can see this thing dropped with chrome reversed wheels, Wide Whites, Corn Flower Blue and a couple of long boards outa the back.

Attached Files:

2. What the hel happened to the roof?!

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Looks like it got dented.

4. seldom scene

seldom scene

Condition, condition, and location....it's worth whatever anyone wishing to take on an expensive project is willing to pay. Pay no atttention to Barrett-Jackson on tv, that car needs a lot, and is not worth 100K.

5. wood470

wood470

Its worth alot. Maybe 10 grand. Look up the Woodie Times. Its a news letter for all kinds of woodies and they have a classified. Let me know if you can"t find um. Also tell your buddy not to get rid of all his stuff, prostate cancer is curable I've had it and some other cancer and I'm stil buyin and old stuff. Dont quit ya gotta stick around and see what happens.

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Are you asking how much you should give your dying friend, or asking one of us to price it for him? I feel for your friend, but these theads are pointless. What's he want, what do you want to pay? Buy it if you like it, or are you trying to negotiate with him?

7. Spooky

Spooky

Yeah, he is a tuff old crusty bugger.
    He would even pay for the shipping he says.

8. Spooky

Spooky

Sorry to sound pointless, but I was getting a measure of the value on the site I trust the most.

I am not going to buy the car, but help in selling it for him.

9. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

I see you already have it posted on here for 12k. Given it's condition you are in the ballpark.
    Check that auction site these are on there all the time in similar condition

10. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

There are several So-Cal Woody gatherings every year that are filled with fanatics for those cars, Wavecrest is one at Moonlight Beach, I think there's a website, check that out, that's the type of people that would buy and have the funds.

11. 51wagon

51wagon
    from northwoods

I purchased a 1951 Ford Woodie earlier this year from Wyoming. It was virtually rust-free... no engine or transmission... all the important Woodie trinkets were still there... the wood was not as good as the wood in your photos. I paid $11,000, which I felt was fair for what I received.

The critical areas are the rockers, the floor and the door posts. They can be repaired, but they are a pain in the ass. Also, if the torsion bar spring for the tailgate works, it's a big bonus. If you have the tail lights, put them on the car for any prospective buyers to see. They are quite unique.

I agree with the other responses, 12 grand is in the ballpark and Wavecrest is a blast! Surf, sun, sand and 300 Woodies. (That line should be good for a reply, or two.)

Good luck to your friend. It seems that every male eventually gets prostate cancer. The trick is to die with it, not from it. "wood470" has the right attitude.
    Good luck to him, too.

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Are they desireable? ARE THEY DESIREABLE? The 49-51 woodies are better than the old Ford and Merc Sportsman. More potential market, more better looking, more better cool factor...are they desireable...naw, I guess , wel, I don't know...

Wish your friend the best from here in Texas, cancer is beatable, and if not, go down with your hand around it's neck screaming!

13. cool project! sorry for your friend! market isn't friendly these days and your selling a vehicle that has a handful of unique parts and if they are not in useable condition can all but kill the sale at any price. i looked at one complete and driving 15 years ago, fell in love with it and had convinced myself i needed it. lucky for me i showed up at the same time someone smarter than me and pointed out the problems. dodged a huge bullet that time but they a cool as hell. good luck.

14. Is this all wood, or does it have the metal filler panels between the main side beams? Most 1950s have the metal panels, it's a one year only deal. Other key parts - taillights, gate, rear bumper, does it have a third seat? Those are $500 just for a good core.

I put a lot of time into researching these price-wise and found that good solid projects were in the $7,500-$10,000 range - the better the wood the more they bring. Rough cars varied; I sold mine for $1800 after three years and was glad to get rid of the damned thing, but usually a complete one that needed floors and rockers brought $2500-$3000. And restored stock was around $30-$35K, street rodded as much as $65K depending on who built it and how gold-chainer it was.

If they need wood, though, someone does make kits, but you're talking close to $20,000 just for that.

15. DBAG

DBAG

That's bad ass! I'd take it for 3.5k all day!

16. gotwood

gotwood
    from NYC

Good luck fixing the roof on that thing!! Been there and would never do another with a bad roof. They are basically one sheet with zero support or beads. They just oil can all over the place. If you pop one off the amount of crown they put in it almost makes it curl up like a roll on the sides.

Yes they were bringing $100k when the market was up but are not cheap to do up correctly. Wood alone will be $15-18k complete.

17. Spooky

Spooky

"Is this all wood, or does it have the metal filler panels between the main side beams? Most 1950s have the metal panels, it's a one year only deal. Other key parts - taillights, gate, rear bumper, does it have a third seat? Those are $500 just for a good core."

I'll have to ask about the taillights.

All of these other parts are there.

I'll swing by his shoppe tomorrow.
    By the way, he has about a dozen visors he wants to sell and some '54 Chev grilles complete with teeth.

Attached Files:

18. twink

twink

My freind and fellow car club member has one.He purchased about 12 years ago ,It was already done,I beleive he paid aroud 32.thousand for it.

19. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

What's the story on the pink '59 Dodge?

20. sawzall

sawzall

ya mean like this?
    [​IMG]

I'd say 10 - 12 K is fair..

one issue with that wood is IF it has damage from powder post beetles. (these show as small "holes" on the wood) that total replacement is likely

[​IMG]

the white one needed complete floors..
    and more..

but if I recall correctly was bought for under 100, in 2004?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  21. Spooky

Spooky

He bought it NEW in '58.

22. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

looking at the car I would say its a 7500 to 8500 car depending on just how bad that roof is and what woodie specific parts are missing (hi side would be $10k in my option with all the seats and sepcial parts. thou not as popular as full wood bodied cars, they make better drivers I think as there is less creaks and growns..
    t

23. Spooky

Spooky

UPDATE!
    Here's the skinny.

I went to my friends property and checked out the '50 with my eyes.

The roof is BAD.

It looks like the Grim Reaper was housed within and decided he did not like the ride.

But -Bill told me he can get another roof skin and will include it with the car.

The floorboards are solid save for the usual rot where the driver's foot would rest near the accelerator.

It has the rear 1/4 glass pieces that are hard to find.
    It has the third seat.
    The frame is VERY solid and it has the usual rot in the rockers.
    The wood is, well, it is wood that is on a car from 59 years ago.

What can I say?

I can tell you what I told him. It looks like a $9,000 dollar car.

24. 19Fordy

19Fordy

There's a 51 Ford woody for sale down my way - is partially restored- in better shape than that one- $25K OBO.